Hawks at the combine

99topdawg

Fant 20 reps on bench press 4.50 (official) 40 YD--fastest TE, 39.5 vertical, 127" in broad jump, 6.81 in 3-cone, 4.22 in 20 yard shuttle, 11.49 in 60 yard shuttle

Hockenson 17 reps. 4.70 in the 40 YD--7th fastest TE, 37.5 vertical, 123" in broad jump, 7.02 in 3--cone, 4.18 in 20 yard shuttle, 11.55 in 60 yard shuttle

Fant/Hock top 2 in both jumps for TE
Both top 2 in 3-cone for TE
2nd and 3rd in 20 yard shuttle
1st and 2nd in 60 yard shuttle

Anthony Nelson 18 reps on bench press, 4.82 in the 40, 5th fastest DL, 35.5 vertical (5th DL), 9'10" broad jump (4th DL), 6.95 3-cone drill (2nd DL), 4.23 20 yd shuttle (3rd DL)

Amani Hooker 14 reps on bench press, 4.48 in the 40, 37" vertical, 10'3" broad jump, 6.83 3-cone (2nd fastest safety), 4.10 20 yd shuttle (4th fastest safety), 11.59 60 yd shuttle (4th fastest safety)

Last edited:
Wow...that's surprising to me. On the lower end of what I would have expected from Hock, with Fant higher than I expected. I don't think anybody went into the combine thinking that 'strength' was Fant's strong suit.

They can both block. TJ is just a monster and does it repeatedly. Noah wasn't asked to do it a lot, because Wieting is such a good blocker as well. Here's Noah and TJ on the same side blocking:

Wow...that's surprising to me. On the lower end of what I would have expected from Hock, with Fant higher than I expected. I don't think anybody went into the combine thinking that 'strength' was Fant's strong suit.
This is usually the knock on most of the Iowa guys in the combine - low bench numbers. Doyle doesn't emphasize the lift because it has little to do with how football is actually played. Even Scherff had a lower bench number than what a lot of the OL have.

Fant's going to move up in the draft. He's got WR speed at 245 pounds and he can out jump anyone. It's just shocking to me that he didn't get spread out wide or in the slot more with Iowa. It's just baffling.

He's a freak athlete. A professional offensive coordinator will find mismatches and get him one on one with a safety or linebacker...it's a win and a good probability of positive yards.

Fant's going to move up in the draft. He's got WR speed at 245 pounds and he can out jump anyone. It's just shocking to me that he didn't get spread out wide or in the slot more with Iowa. It's just baffling.

He's a freak athlete. A professional offensive coordinator will find mismatches and get him one on one with a safety or linebacker...it's a win and a good probability of positive yards.
This is what I've been saying all along. A good OC finds a place for him on the field, 24/7. He's a huge mismatch for almost any position. The inability to think outside the box has hindered the Iowa offense since KF took over.
6'4 - 249 lbs. runs a 4.5 40 and has a 42" vertical leap. Yeah....lets sit him on the bench and put Weiting in. SMDH.

[QUOTE="WinOneThisCentury, post: 1822260, member: 59123"

It's just shocking to me that he didn't get spread out wide or in the slot more with Iowa. It's just baffling.

[/QUOTE]

What shocks you about our offensive coaching staff not using him in more novel situations for these coaches??? Nothing surprising there. For example, why not when Wadley is a soph. use him in the slot with Leshun D or Canzeri in the backfield to pull an extra defender out of the box. McCarron was a very fast slot guy and Easley was above avg. but Wadley would scare the hell out of a D Coord flanked out like that. But we hardly did that as in getting as many playmakers on the field as possible with a many times challenged offense.

Wadley's receiving skills and YAC were great. I still think his last minute TD in Ames in 2017 was one of the great offensive plays in Iowa history considering the play itself and the score, time in the game, and position on the field.

Latest posts