Wow. Fran must be feeling some heat for missing out on DJ

lightning1

Offers flying out to 2019 PGs left and right. Yuri Colins, Bryan Greenlee and Joe Toussaint. I guess these are the fall backs to plan B.

Offers flying out to 2019 PGs left and right. Yuri Colins, Bryan Greenlee and Joe Toussaint. I guess these are the fall backs to plan B.

i don't think he's feeling heat. i think we just finished the july open eval period and they've seen a lot of new '19 pg's. not saying there is no heat. but i don't think that's the driving force behind offering many '19 pgs this week.

i don't think he's feeling heat. i think we just finished the july open eval period and they've seen a lot of new '19 pg's. not saying there is no heat. but i don't think that's the driving force behind offering many '19 pgs this week.
One of these kids doesn't even have a national recruiting profile. I'm sure he just exploded on to the scene at some tournament, that Fran happened to be at.

One of these kids doesn't even have a national recruiting profile. I'm sure he just exploded on to the scene at some tournament, that Fran happened to be at.

fran and his staff were all over the place the last 3 weeks. from WI to GA to CA and points in between. they watched a lot...i mean a LOT of '19, '20 and '21 kids. the staff is working hard for the '19 class.

fran and his staff were all over the place the last 3 weeks. from WI to GA to CA and points in between. they watched a lot...i mean a LOT of '19, '20 and '21 kids. the staff is working hard for the '19 class.
I'm sure they are. Their futures depend on it. But these recruits are fall backs to plan B. Plain and simple. Dante Eldridge is at least as good as these guys and he's right in Fran's back yard.

This would sure seem to indicate that he wants a point guard for '19 even as there are other predictions that he would wait until '20. He's going to need a little of everything with the incoming '20 class based on the current projection of players lost to graduation and it wouldn't hurt to land some ball handling, penetrating ability, and perimeter defense for both years. Yes he knows what's at stake and he is really putting his money where his mouth is with comments on his returning team for next year.
The transferring of Wagner and Ellenson as well as the probable early entry of Cook after '19 opens up several schollies and this is the time to be thinking about who to offer them to.

Locure's better than all these guys Fran's offering. Coulda shoulda...
You know my stance on Locure, love his offense, concerns about his defense. But yes it wouldn't have hurt Fran to offer him.

You get the feeling sometimes that a poker player could bluff Fran into folding a full house and win the hand with a pair of kings!

Locure's better than all these guys Fran's offering. Coulda shoulda...

I liked Locure's game as you know, but with him obviously not an option I kinda like that Yuri Collins kid. He looks like he is built for B1G play. Decent quickness and proficient handles. Acceptable shot form. Good vision and ability to pass the ball from unconventional angles. As fall backs go he's not a horrible option. I see potential.

It sounds like Iowa isn't doing to well with the other high profile recruits. His son might be looking forward to playing baseball too. If Fran was confident in landing some of these four and five star recruits he has been involved with, I doubt he would be that enchanted with the point guards for this year. It could be that I don't know what I'm talking about too.

I’ve been keeping up with recruiting and it sounded to me like the coaches were out on the trail evaluating PGs and then were planning on deciding if they were going to make some offers. Looks like they decided to offer a few guys. Simple as that.

No question these are plan B or C...ahem, DJ Carton committed else where. What else is he supposed to do? When DJ left Iowa out, a lot of you said, why waste your time on the high star kid, go get some of these under the radar PG's. You've all been railing on him for not getting some sort of PG on this team asap because of his kid. Now he goes out and offers, and he's feeling the heat? LOL. You also know that when you see all of these other teams with athletic and quick PG's all over the country at smaller schools and then say "WHY CAN'T IOWA HAVE ONE OF THOSE? WHY CAN'T FRAN FIND ANYONE EVEN SERVICEABLE WHEN THE REST OF CBB HAVE TONS OF QUICK PG'S", that those guys were 2 and 3 star kids who were over looked like these kids right? I'm personally glad they are making offers to the position of biggest need.

I don't know anything about Greenlee so can't speak to him, but Touissaint and Collins have better offers than Locure did which suggests they're probably better than him. I'm not sure they're all that much worse than DJ.

Touissaint's best offers appear to be UNLV and Dayton and if he doesn't get any better ones, I'd expect him to accept an offer. He was thrilled a B1G school offered him.

Collins had an offer from Missouri and some mid-majors.

Maybe Fran realizes he just isn't going to get any 4-5 star pgs in '19 or '20 so is gonna get a 3-star he feels pretty comfortable can make a difference here. I'm guessing he doesn't give a crap if people think it's a rebound move based on him not getting DJ.

of course it's a rebound though...DJ committed to TOSU, what else can Fran do but try and rebound and go for plan B and C? I am glad he's not trying to wait for 20 IMO, Iowa needs help at that position immediately.

Iowa needs help at that position immediately.
If that’s the the case though, the question would be why didn’t he pursue a transfer this year? We have JBo/Cmac/Dailey/C.J. this year, and we are slated to have JBo/Cmac/Dailey/C.J. next year....

Latest posts