This sucks

Jay wright is the perfect example of what Fran isn’t. Sweet sixteen in year 4. Elite 8 year 5. Final 4 in year 8. He built and showed what he was capable of. Coaches will always have ups and downs, but he proved his ceiling early. Fran has too, but some people don’t want to see it and think a unicorn is coming.

Mr. Davis was let go to take Iowa to the next level. It was the wrong decision long term, but it does happen in sports. Fran is locked in for life because of Barta, and he has to get himself to a level he’s never been at just to get Iowa back to Mr. Davis’s level.

My frustration is with Fran’s coaching, my anger is with Barta taking hope away.

Totally agree. I hope Fran can prove me wrong, but I think the best he will ever do has already happened when he made 3 NCAA tournaments in a row and got to a #7 seed.

Jay wright is the perfect example of what Fran isn’t. Sweet sixteen in year 4. Elite 8 year 5. Final 4 in year 8. He built and showed what he was capable of. Coaches will always have ups and downs, but he proved his ceiling early. Fran has too, but some people don’t want to see it and think a unicorn is coming.

Mr. Davis was let go to take Iowa to the next level. It was the wrong decision long term, but it does happen in sports. Fran is locked in for life because of Barta, and he has to get himself to a level he’s never been at just to get Iowa back to Mr. Davis’s level.

My frustration is with Fran’s coaching, my anger is with Barta taking hope away.

Where is 'Nova located? If you say Philadelphia, you'd be correct. Philly is across the river from Camden, NJ. Penn St has 4 guys from Philly and 8 from PA. 'Nova is right smack-dab in the middle of hoops talent hot beds. I don't think a comparison between Jay Wright and Fran is an apples to apples comparison.

Why 8 more years?
01_18_gary_barta_0008g_0.0.jpg

If Fran can find a juco guard or 2 with speed and lateral quickness and handles, then we are way different next season. I believe we'll contend for B1G. If not, and if Fran cannot find a fix some other way and we have the same problem (get get into the lane offensively and can't stop penetration defensively), then it's on Fran for not fixing that issue. Folks its about the W's and L's. I really don't care how it gets done. I don't care if we play zone 100% of the time, as long as it stops dribble penetration. I do think CM will help on the offensive side of things.

If Fran can find a juco guard or 2 with speed and lateral quickness and handles, then we are way different next season. I believe we'll contend for B1G. If not, and if Fran cannot find a fix some other way and we have the same problem (get get into the lane offensively and can't stop penetration defensively), then it's on Fran for not fixing that issue. Folks its about the W's and L's. I really don't care how it gets done. I don't care if we play zone 100% of the time, as long as it stops dribble penetration. I do think CM will help on the offensive side of things.
This. And if Ellingson grad transfers I have no trouble replacing him with another. Maybe we can control Tony Carr for a change. Or some of those Michigan dudes. The more I see grad transfers the more I like them.

No one compared the two.

One contrast was made that was relevant. I recall a couple of HN posters talking about observing Wright at open practice and seeing how he coached his team. That was...a clear contrast between the abilities of the two men.

One contrast was made that was relevant. I recall a couple of HN posters talking about observing Wright at open practice and seeing how he coached his team. That was...a clear contrast between the abilities of the two men.

I was referring to the guy who originally brought him up. He wasn't comparing the two coaches at all. He simply said he hopes his patience gets rewarded like it did for Villinova fans.

So you don't think coaches ever put together their best group of players after year 8? Basketball is a sport where all it takes is one really good player to make a good team. Is it that hard for you to fathom that Fran either lands an average recruit who turns out like Tre Burke, or an instate kid who turns out like Harrison Barnes? (He may have already done that). This whole "year 8" thing people grasp onto is a joke. So is the "Fran hit his ceiling" agruement. Especially since he is one player from having a really good team. And it just so happens that a top 50 recruit plays that position of need. In 2 years, Bohannon, Wieskamp, Cook, and Garza will surpass this "ceiling" you are so sure Fran has reached. And no matter how good they finish, it won't mean Fran is out of nowhere a great coach. All it will mean is a good coached pieced together a great team, which happens all the time in basketball. Even after year fucking 8.
We are not "1 player away from having a really good team"! We are 5 players away from having a good defense, for Christ's sake! You're Black and Gold glasses are rotting your brain.

And I don't get how Fran has gotten us within 2 plays of winning a Big 10 title. (A Nigel Hayes missed 3 pointer and a Yogi Ferrel missed 3 pointer) yet you somehow think that is the highest he can possibly get us. Like he couldn't get us in the exact same situation again and the opponent actually misses the shot at the end. He doesn't even have to do anything better. Just get a little lucky in 2 games and he wins a conference title. Yet it's impossible because it wasn't in the cards that time.
I'm willing to bet big money that we've seen Fran's ceiling.

I'm willing to bet big money that we've seen Fran's ceiling.

After these last 2 years, I have to agree. Very disappointing really. If Fran recruits even decent in '14 and '15, this could be an entirely different last two years. He brought in 9 players over those two years and got one sort of kind of decent one in Moss. That is horrible, horrible recruiting right there.

Out of curiosity I went backed and looked at Nova's recruiting since Jay Wright seems to be a subject of fascination around here, I'd encourage you to go back in the time machine and look at the recruiting profiles of the guys Jay Wright had to start his first few years. Fully stocked cupboard for a program that wasn't bad when he inherited it. Then after he had his first taste of tournament success 5 star after 5 star. It's almost embarrassing how little success he had in the early part of this decade considering he could almost field a starting 5 of 5 star guys.

Fran is finally starting to get closer to that level of success on the recruiting trail. This is the first time he's had so many 4 star guys on his roster. And he's going to have balance between the front and back court. I would not be surprised if next year is Fran's best year yet.
We just finished a 4-14 Big Ten season. Only 4 Big Ten teams are going to play in the NCAA tournament. That's a really bad year for the Big Ten conference. None of these facts point to Fran getting better recruits. It's the opposite of that, actually. What he has managed to do is assemble the least athletic team I've seen in 40 years of watching Iowa basketball.

Fran is bringing in 3 guards already. 1 of them being his own son. What on God's green Earth makes you think he'll recruit over his own son? Over Joe Weiskamp? Over his buddies son CJ? Especially now that Gutless Gary took away any incentive to act with urgency?
Sorry, but that's a crack pipe dream.

Fran is bringing in 3 guards already. 1 of them being his own son. What on God's green Earth makes you think he'll recruit over his own son? Over Joe Weiskamp? Over his buddies son CJ? Especially now that Gutless Gary took away any incentive to act with urgency?
Sorry, but that's a crack pipe dream.

We need speed and quickness on defense. JW is SG not a PG. He lacks the foot speed and quickness. JW reminds me a an Adam Haluska type; though, AH seems to have been quicker. I am not thrilled with CJ coming onboard because we need quickness and speed and he doesn't have it to the level we need.

lighting, do you always have to be an ass and make everything into a name calling bitch-fest? can't you just have a civil discussion?

We are not "1 player away from having a really good team"! We are 5 players away from having a good defense, for Christ's sake! You're Black and Gold glasses are rotting your brain.

If we had a 2nd team all conference player at the 2 or 3 next year, it would be an entirely different team.

If we had a 2nd team all conference player at the 2 or 3 next year, it would be an entirely different team.

Not really. If we still don't play D, and we lose Cook, a 2nd team all conference player won't matter at all.

Latest posts