Buyout Barta Responds To Iowa Media

The inmates are running the asylum. I don't mind the salary. Why not just give him a 5 year deal with a million buyout for every year on the contract every three years?

That way if things go south for a few years, you can afford to cut ties with the coach. Throw in some incentives for beating state, making the tourney, finishing in the top 5 in the league, that round it out to 3.5 million a year if he makes all three goals, and call it good. Surely Fran could live with that, on a 2.5 million base salary? That buyout is a Sunni cost, and it will eventually lead to Iiwa paying this coach not to coach after he had three straight losing seasons and Career is empty.

Barta has got to be the worst negotiator inn the world. Hiding the extension is just as wrong, at a public institution, as hiding booster payments to players. I know it isn't coming from taxpayer dollars, but the optics on this are just horrible.

He's a liar. Why would he force the media to file a FOI request to get the new contract, if he wasn't trying to hide it? If you're willing to take him at his word on this, what is your explanation?

Well he said that he didn't want to do it during the season and have it be a distraction. I'm not sure what distraction he thought it would be, but it at least seems plausible for a bone head like him.

Maybe more of my opinion is based on that I can't easily enough figure what would cause him to hide it. Hard for me to accept deceit with no clear motive. It doesn't sound like he is embarrassed of it at all (which he should be). He had the support from Prez obviously. The only motive that makes sense to me is that if he is going to be pushed out after basketball season and the U didn't want it to be known that this was his deal. That theory does have a little traction in my mind because I found it odd that you would bring up anything about a previous "hand shake" deal. Without that future event actually playing out though I just don't see the angle for "hiding" the contract. Just seems more likely that it was a dumb call from a man that has a history of dumb choices.

If the goal of Iowa is to graduate athletes...

Why is the budget so large? Why not cut it by 80%, staff, perks, AD support?

With the excess millions why not hire some professionals who can teach the student/"athletes" how read and write, get up in the morning, show up on time, do their school work, put their mittens on, comb their hair, brush their teeth...ready for school Bobby? (Or, perhaps hire some cadre from Ft. Benning to do it prior their freshman year)

Why pay millions to hire a BB coach and even more for a FB coach and his family? Why not hire someone for say, 1/4 the going salary...to follow up on how their maturity, grades are going, sit in on some of their classes, buy some mittens. If there is extra time, teach some defensive drills.

The above are obvious questions...

The biggest WHY is why does someone like me, and most of you, get upset with losing, if it doesn't matter to those who are in charge of what in essence is a club sport and developmental program? It is something I have on my growth area list... Just let it go, no one cares...serenity now...

But...I suspect that the mantra of "we want the main focus to be on players graduating and making them outstanding citizens" is nothing more than another excuse. The powers that be care, they are just incompetent, and dishonest at that...which is quite sad.

For many fans, apathy and anger are growing and it won't be long and more will treat Iowa athletics like I treat the NFL...if you can't stand up and be respectful during the national anthem, why would I spend a few hours watching your entitled and selfish asses run around and pointing at yourself when you get that 3 yard gain?

Last edited:
Well he said that he didn't want to do it during the season and have it be a distraction. I'm not sure what distraction he thought it would be, but it at least seems plausible for a bone head like him.
He's created a much bigger distraction so add that to the pile of failures.

With the excess millions why not hire some professionals who can teach the student/"athletes" how read and write, get up in the morning, show up on time, do their school work, put their mittens on, comb their hair, brush their teeth...ready for school Bobby? (Or, perhaps hire some cadre from Ft. Benning to do it prior their freshman year)

Why pay millions to hire a BB coach and even more for a FB coach and his family? Why not hire someone for say, 1/4 the going salary...to follow up on how their maturity, grades are going, sit in on some of their classes, buy some mittens. If there is extra time, teach some defensive drills.

The biggest WHY is why does someone like me, and most of you, get upset with losing, if it doesn't matter to those who are in charge of what in essence is a club sport and developmental program? It is something I have on my growth area list... Just let it go, no one cares...serenity now...

But...I suspect that the mantra of "we want the main focus to be on players graduating and making them outstanding citizens" is nothing more than another excuse. The powers that be care, they are just incompetent, and dishonest at that...which is quite sad.

For many fans, apathy and anger are growing and it won't be long and more will treat Iowa athletics like I treat the NFL...if you can't stand up and be respectful during the national anthem, why would I spend a few hours watching your entitled and selfish asses run around and pointing at yourself when you get that 3 yard gain?

Excellent summation of the Iowa athletic department and the frame of mind here.

I don't think the whole thing was handled perfectly and I have some concerns but this is how the sausage is made in the college athletics.

No cancer is "fun"...but if it is that debilitating you turn over the day to day duties and big deals and announcements to the next in command...lots of people work through such medical challenges...at a reduced level however.

Maybe more of my opinion is based on that I can't easily enough figure what would cause him to hide it. Hard for me to accept deceit with no clear motive. It doesn't sound like he is embarrassed of it at all (which he should be). He had the support from Prez obviously. The only motive that makes sense to me is that if he is going to be pushed out after basketball season and the U didn't want it to be known that this was his deal. That theory does have a little traction in my mind because I found it odd that you would bring up anything about a previous "hand shake" deal. Without that future event actually playing out though I just don't see the angle for "hiding" the contract. Just seems more likely that it was a dumb call from a man that has a history of dumb choices.

Which is a lie because he just extended and announced it for Kirk during the season in 2016.

It seems pretty obvious to me. He couldn't justify the contract extension based on Fran's results. There is not enough payed interest in the program, to justify a contract extension. He knew it. Most of us knew it. He didn't want to admit that he failed at yet another men's basketball coaching hire. This is what AD's do, that can't sack up and admit that they screwed up.
If we were 7-0 when that contract extension was signed, do you think he doesn't announce that extension?

The attendance numbers speak for themselves. We haven't sold out Kinnick for a season, since 2011. Not even the 2015 season could bring a sell out for 2016. We couldn't even sell out the last couple of home games in 2015! What's Barta's response to this? Remove a few thousand seats and make luxury suites.
When was the last time we sold out a season at CHA? If you guessed "2001", you guessed correctly.

It seems pretty obvious to me. He couldn't justify the contract extension based on Fran's results. There is not enough payed interest in the program, to justify a contract extension. He knew it. Most of us knew it. He didn't want to admit that he failed at yet another men's basketball coaching hire. This is what AD's do, that can't sack up and admit that they screwed up.
If we were 7-0 when that contract extension was signed, do you think he doesn't announce that extension?

You could be right. I'm not trying to discredit anyone's particular take on this situation. Obviously he suppressed the announcement for some reason. For me it just seems more likely that it was for some stupid reason vs for some sinister reason or even embarrassment. I will admit that I could be completely wrong too, since I don't have an abundance of facts to make a better guess.

I missed the part of the article where Barta said we are going to strive to compete for conference championships.

All I heard was we are going to have some “good” years and some “not so good” years, but we will do it the right way.

He’s basically saying he doesn’t care if we have consistent success and strive for new heights, he’s happy that Fran can get us to the tournament every few years. He doesn’t demand anything more. It’s the same with football. It’s effing shameful.

“Many times, when we announce coaches’ contracts, it’s for recruiting. In this case, we didn’t need an advantage in recruiting. Recruiting’s been going fine. So I made the decision to wait until the end of the season, knowing full well … it could get out during the season. I hoped that it would be after the season — not because I’m worried about how we’re playing. But I just did not want to have this conversation in the middle of the season. But it is what it is. And there was no conspiracy.

This ^ is complete bullshit! If it was true, he wouldn't have forced the media to file a FOI request! They would have just turned it over and issued a press release. This Clown is a shameless liar.
To me this is the main part that matters to me. The other stuff is explainable blah blah blah irrelevant stuff you'll never get a strait answer about. But this to me is telling. Because he's saying they ONLY announce coaches contracts to brag to recruits how long you have a coach locked in for. Well what about the FANS paying for all that?? Hell screw fans how about the entire public? It's a public university hence why there's such a thing as FOI act which forces them to eventually come clean with what they did. And what about the media? They have a job to do to report pertinent news such as that. What Barta said still doesn't explain why they would make the media go through the dog and pony show of making the open records request instead of just letting them know right away once asked. The not wanting to do it in the middle of the season is total BS. They've done it before. It's not a big deal how is that a distraction of any kind to the players? It's only became what it's become because they sat on it and tried delaying the inevitable as long as they could. The rest can be explained away with his opinions. Folks can agree or disagree with all that but it is what it is. What he did on this part of it just doesn't fly at all though...

In Frans defense here.
He will run a clean program and will not cheat.

He’s not going to bring in questionable people.
He will graduate his guys.

Despite what people think, he does recruit hard. See him sitting alone watching Swanigan play all alone ( I think this is where he could use new Asst blood to help him )

All of the above make things way more challenging for him than other schools in the area. Remember that college basketball is a slime pit. Look no further than tomorrow nights opponent.

Like how Fran has tried to do things here. Wish recruiting guards and D x and o’s would change.

He really needs to hire an assistant who knows how to coach Defense, and needs to give him Absolute control over this. Defense must be considered at least, if not more, important than offense if we want to be successful next season.....

"I believe in him..." Iowa has no PG, can't play defense

"recruiting is going fine..." Iowa has no PG, can't play defense

"Fran is a relentless recruiter..." Iowa has no PG, can't play defense

"Fran is a great leader..." Iowa has no PG, can't play defense and the coach is a psycho on the sidelines.

"Fran has had offers but doesn't want to leave..." Why would he want to leave, he might get fired at a school that wants to win...daaaaaah

I delayed sharing the news because I was sick...nice move... PR special...sympathy... You could have sent out an e-mail about it in 10 seconds...

This is the part that really gets me. If Fran doesn't want to leave, then why the urgency for giving him that fat contract and buyout? Why the fear of Fran going elsewhere?

Latest posts