Jon's new article

Right. So why try anything in life, you’ll probably just fail. Good philosophy

Off-topic and I'm gonna get myself in trouble here.
I'm thinking of a generation of youngsters (college age) in 2018. They've been told by their parents that the future is dark (global warming; China ascendant; widening gap between the haves and have-nots; the world is stacked against you) so you'll probably fail. But we're gonna raise you with an insane amount of entitlement training so you'll be expecting the blue-ribbon of happiness every time you climb out of bed.
I can't think of anything more psychologically cruel than to fill children with those conflicting messages.

Hate to break it to you. But Iowa probably won’t win a National Championship in Football or Basketball in our lifetime. It’s a sad reality and I hope I’m wrong but what am I gonna do about it? What are you gonna do about it? Nothing. Our opinions don’t matter in this sense
You are probably not gonna be the CEO of your company, doesn’t mean you have to stay in the mailroom your whole life.

Off topic, but I had my pickup in the shop once a couple summers ago. The guy I rode to work with had to leave in an emergency. Could have waited a couple hours for my brother to get home and come get me, but I got a wild hair and decided to walk 8 miles home on gravel. I loved it.

I walk 3 miles a day, I'd be fat albert without it. I also started intermittent fasting after a poster suggested it to me on this site. Basically I do whatever you guys tell me.

Off-topic and I'm gonna get myself in trouble here.
I'm thinking of a generation of youngsters (college age) in 2018. They've been told by their parents that the future is dark (global warming; China ascendant; widening gap between the haves and have-nots; the world is stacked against you) so you'll probably fail. But we're gonna raise you with an insane amount of entitlement training so you'll be expecting the blue-ribbon of happiness every time you climb out of bed.
I can't think of anything more psychologically cruel than to fill children with those conflicting messages.
That’s how you end up with the occupy Wall Street crowds.

Hate to break it to you. But Iowa probably won’t win a National Championship in Football or Basketball in our lifetime. It’s a sad reality and I hope I’m wrong but what am I gonna do about it? What are you gonna do about it? Nothing. Our opinions don’t matter in this sense
No one here’s asking for a national championship, dolt.

People are asking for consistent top 3~ish Big Ten finishes and NCAA berths in basketball, and leading the West Division and occasionally vying for a Big Ten title in football.

Stop trying to be dramatic.

An entertaining thought experiment.

If Izzo comes to Iowa instead of MSU in 95, what is Iowa's record?
Pfff it isn't what it is that's a given. Say he wanted to start being a HC a year earlier then Jud wanted to step down and Tom leaving earlier for some reason.. Pretty big what ifs all over the place but yeah that'd have been quite the fork in the road.

The fact that you think success is based on luck explains the flaw in your logic. You think Henry Ford and Steve Jobs owed their success to luck? For every story you give me on how someone became a giant thru luck, I'll give you a thousand stories on how they got there with unrelenting drive.

Wasn't it you that said MSU is where they are because they demand success? Seems to me they let their decent coach retire, then hired from within, then got lucky. If they knew they had a hall of fame coach sitting on the bench, they probably should have done something about it sooner.

And I'm sorry but with Barta as AD, we need to get lucky to hire a good coach. With any AD, we would have to get lucky to hire a future hall of fame coach.

Pfff it isn't what it is that's a given. Say he wanted to start being a HC a year earlier then Jud wanted to step down and Tom leaving earlier for some reason.. Pretty big what ifs all over the place but yeah that'd have been quite the fork in the road.

Yeah, I wasn't positing it as a real possibility. But you picked up on the thrust of it. In the last 20 years Iowa's highlight was a sweet 16 run. With Izzo I'm guessing we have at least half a dozen of those with a couple final 4s thrown into the bargain.
Coaches matter.

Wasn't it you that said MSU is where they are because they demand success? Seems to me they let their decent coach retire, then hired from within, then got lucky. If they knew they had a hall of fame coach sitting on the bench, they probably should have done something about it sooner.

And I'm sorry but with Barta as AD, we need to get lucky to hire a good coach. With any AD, we would have to get lucky to hire a future hall of fame coach.
Can we hire Cousin Eddie to go kidnap Alvarez and hope his wife chews his ass for not being kind to the lowly people of Iowa???

Cousin-Eddie-Kissin-Red-Clay-Soul-Christmas-Vacation(pp_w480_h318).jpg

Somebody in this thread will tell you to give up your music, cuz you're not gonna make it anyways.
depends on the definition of "making it" - I have a career, family, wife, dog etc.... roots, things I'd never just pick up and leave to go chase a dream. Music deals these days are so horrible that getting signed is pretty much a death sentence anymore. You basically sign up to go in debt with a .000001 % chance of ever getting out of it. I would do everything I could to remain independent even if I wrote something that took off. I haven't, probably won't. But, I do play all over hell, get to open for national acts, get paid to play some awesome gigs in Okoboji and keep getting nominated for what I do in the city of Omaha. To me, that's made it. Maybe my expectations are low and should be higher... they were when I was 20.

I think in the argument of risk/reward we not only have to analyze the risk/reward of finding another coach, but also have assess the risk/reward of keeping things the way they currently are and the state of the program now versus where it might be a year from now. My opinion is its still worth cutting your losses and taking a chance at finding another coach to point us in the right direction now, because its going to get harder and harder to find a coach to right the ship if the program continues to tank.

I agree but I don't think it will get worse with players getting older and better recruits coming in. The problem is, we fell so far that we have another complete rebuild just like last time. Probably easier, but not much. Fran deserves time to get us back on track after a down year. But I don't think he deserves time to do a complete rebuild.

I agree but I don't think it will get worse with players getting older and better recruits coming in. The problem is, we fell so far that we have another complete rebuild just like last time. Probably easier, but not much. Fran deserves time to get us back on track after a down year. But I don't think he deserves time to do a complete rebuild.

agree - NCAA or bust next season. Lick got 3 years and proved dick, Fran gets that too. It will be a miracle according to a lot of views on this board. But if he DOES it, we can go ahead and put it to rest whether he's a good coach or not.