The Vols fired Butch Jones

636192125843885804-20160809-bp-ISUmediaday-66-1-.jpg

Looks like their AD doesn't tolerate mediocre to below average football.
The guy got a bowl name changed. It's now called the HawkSlayer Bowl in honor of Butch's accomplishments. 35-7 at half. Of course Greg Davis managed to cobble together a 71 yard drive in the first half, so it wasn't as bad as what happened to Iowa's offense on Saturday. Heck, by my math, it would have taken us at least double overtime, maybe quadruple overtime if we took a sack, to get 71 yards against Wisconsin. WE HAD 66 YARDS IN THE WHOLE GAME.

Looks like their AD doesn't tolerate mediocre to below average football.

Here is what Butch Jones did at Tennessee. These are recruiting rankings:

2013 #21
2014 #5
2015 #5
2016 #15
2017 #15

He was 34-27 56% winning % since taking over in 2013. Nobody did less with more than Butch Jones.

Ferentz over the same time period is 41-22 70% winning %

You think winning 70% of your games is mediocre to below average?

I am pissed off too with the beat down we took by Wisconsin. Yet some on here want to act like we have been shit since 2013. That isn't the case, Iowa has won 70% of its games since that God awful 2012 season.

hey, i just don't want brian as hc, but that's where this train is headed. then, we can have james as OC and steve as DC.

we've been iowa since 2013 with an anomaly in '15.

hey, i just don't want brian as hc, but that's where this train is headed. then, we can have james as OC and steve as DC.

we've been iowa since 2013 with an anomaly in '15.

That is always what Iowa has been. People are losing their minds and think Iowa is something they never have been, and that is a consistent 10 wins team.

This is how it was under Hayden as well. After Hayden's '85-'87 run, he won 6, 5, and 8 games. Then he won 10 in '91 and followed that up with 5, 6, 5, 8, 9, 7, and 3 wins.

That is always what Iowa has been. People are losing their minds and think Iowa is something they never have been, and that is a consistent 10 wins team.

This is how it was under Hayden as well. After Hayden's '85-'87 run, he won 6, 5, and 8 games. Then he won 10 in '91 and followed that up with 5, 6, 5, 8, 9, 7, and 3 wins.

deano, I'll speak for myself; but I'd wager I speak for others, when I say that kirk has missed several golden opportunities to capitalize on success. Now, 12-0 was miraculous. 12-2 showed us what our shortcomings were...the offense. since '15 we're on our way to 8-5 and maybe 6 or 7 wins. That really isn't building upon 12-0, and we really haven't addressed the 0-2 part of '15. we just keep being lemmings and each saturday we march forward for 60 minutes of game time and if we don't march off a cliff, we win. if we do, we lose. but under kirk, there is a feeling that we aren't looking out for the cliff to avoid it because that's football.

so, i feel like kirk could have blown the doors off of hayden from a winning perspective, but we're accepting of leaving things to chance. thats how it feels.

deano, I'll speak for myself; but I'd wager I speak for others, when I say that kirk has missed several golden opportunities to capitalize on success. Now, 12-0 was miraculous. 12-2 showed us what our shortcomings were...the offense. since '15 we're on our way to 8-5 and maybe 6 or 7 wins. That really isn't building upon 12-0, and we really haven't addressed the 0-2 part of '15. we just keep being lemmings and each saturday we march forward for 60 minutes of game time and if we don't march off a cliff, we win. if we do, we lose. but under kirk, there is a feeling that we aren't looking out for the cliff to avoid it because that's football.

so, i feel like kirk could have blown the doors off of hayden from a winning perspective, but we're accepting of leaving things to chance. thats how it feels.

That's fair Arvada.

I just don't think it is as easy as some around here think. Hayden couldn't do it either, and he isn't bashed relentlessly like KF is. Just imagine if KF won 6, 5 and then 8 games. Then he managed a 10 win season and then won 5, 6, and 5 games?

If Iowa can get to 8 wins this year, that is 4 of the last 5 years Iowa has won at least 8 games. People act like winning 8 games should led us to fire KF, I just don't think that we should fire a coach winning 8 games a year, whomever that is.

That's fair Arvada.

I just don't think it is as easy as some around here think. Hayden couldn't do it either, and he isn't bashed relentlessly like KF is. Just imagine if KF won 6, 5 and then 8 games. Then he managed a 10 win season and then won 5, 6, and 5 games?

If Iowa can get to 8 wins this year, that is 4 of the last 5 years Iowa has won at least 8 games. People act like winning 8 games should led us to fire KF, I just don't think that we should fire a coach winning 8 games a year, whomever that is.

8 wins is not a lock, especially if we see the offense from Sat, 2nd half of NW, or 1st half of MSU again. And we really do need to get a bowl win, no matter what bowl it is.

That said, very few thought 8 wins was likely this year (that doesn't mean 8 is a great year, it's not).

6 wins would be poor, 7 wins would feel less than average, 8 wins...good, not great. Any bowl win would help.

NW and Wisc will remain a bad taste.

I have issues with BF playcalling, Not to the same level as most, but it really comes down to only 5-7 plays a game, with about 1-2 THAT I deem "idiotic". That run play on 3rd down from the endzone(same as against MSU) is indefensible. Id like to see more passing on 1st and 2nd...quick throws. I also believe if we catch a few of the 3rd down drops...we see a different game (terrible punting/punt receiving notwithstanding).

Pass catching, pressure pickup, punting and punt receiving game are all bigger issues, in my opinion, that simply playcalling. To be fair, these are also coaching issues, and having depth in recruiting.

We aren't playing for a West title, that was over 4 weeks ago(which is something I have an issue with). But we can salvage a pretty solid (not great) season with 3 more wins.

I'm in the camp that is concerned about next year with the loss of all 3 LB and JJ, even with better offense. History supports that feeling. Again, lack of depth and experience at an extremely important positiin group.

I'm still an "apologist" though. And I also don't think Iowa should fire KF. Pros still outweigh the cons for me...still.

i could see it as a possibility, but UT is gonna want a big name. i think campbell is the better coach between he and fleck. but i don't know that UT will bite on him.

Fleck won't be going anywhere he still has a dumpster fire to fix at Minney.

History supports that feeling.

So many times I've seen our underclassmen get owned. Edds at LB was downright painful to watch for roughly 2 years, then when he figured it out, he was magical. But the thing about Iowa LBs is they typically have to get torched for like 2 years and then if they are good they make those miracle plays by an inch in a clutch situation. Another painful thing to watch is DL turnover. When we turn the line over, you just feel sick for the LBs because you know the OL is going to be 4 yards off the ball and there will be 2-3 Hok linemen lying on the field on about 80% of running plays. Lot of tackle opportunities for the safeties, though.

The Iowa fan base has Wisconsin envy. They seem to take advantage of every opportunity where it is hit and miss with Iowa.

The Iowa fan base has Wisconsin envy. They seem to take advantage of every opportunity where it is hit and miss with Iowa.

if ferentz was a good deal more aggressive on offense, we could be at least wisconsin. hey, yesterday not withstanding, iowa plays to punch you in the mouth. the problem for 20 years is that we don't score enough points (seemingly on purpose) because he feels clock management and limited possessions is how you win. that gets you 6-8.

I am envious of them as well, I wish we could do what they have been doing. Here are the facts though, that drive people to lose their shit around here. Since 2001, this is the average wins per year:

Ohio St. 10
Wisconsin 9.25
Nebraska 8.5
Iowa 8.19
Michigan 8.125
Penn St. 8
Michigan St. 7.69

if ferentz was a good deal more aggressive on offense, we could be at least wisconsin. hey, yesterday not withstanding, iowa plays to punch you in the mouth. the problem for 20 years is that we don't score enough points (seemingly on purpose) because he feels clock management and limited possessions is how you win. that gets you 6-8.

Different schemes, same philosophy.......Everyone points to the schedule next year and I have no clue what to think. Do they take advantage of that or are we talking about replacing 3 linebackers, JJ, Welsh and AW?

I am envious of them as well, I wish we could do what they have been doing. Here are the facts though, that drive people to lose their shit around here. Since 2001, this is the average wins per year:

Ohio St. 10
Wisconsin 9.25
Nebraska 8.5
Iowa 8.19
Michigan 8.125
Penn St. 8
Michigan St. 7.69

Since the fake punt in 2010 what are the numbers?