Howe: Hawkeyes Close In on Fantastic Finish After Silencing Illinois

"No rational person could look negatively on a 9-4 season ending with a 4-game winning streak."

Depends somewhat on how Michigan finishes, who the bowl opponent is, and how impressive the last 2 wins are.

Last edited:
I'm surprised it took that long for someone to pull that part out of the column. I'm aware that 9-4 won't be enough for some folks. That's why I used rational (which I needed to fix my typo).

Last edited:
I've not been a Greg Davis fan from Day 1. I would not have issue with him being replaced as I don't think his philosophy meshes with KF, who will always have a big hand in the offense.

Maybe Brian would work well with his dad. I don't know. I think chances are good that there's a better fit than GD, though.

If Iowa goes 9-4, however, I think it will be GD's choice. I don't think KF fires him. That's what I think based on history, not what I know, however.

I think it all comes down to Nebraska. 7-5 is the same 'ol Kirk. The Michigan win is great, but it's balanced by the NDSU loss.

8-4, on the other hand with two wins over top 20 teams would represent a nice comeback for this team.

And there is no "moral victory" if we play the Huskers close but lose. Next week will go a long way toward defining this season.

9-4 won't be a negative. With the hopes for this year it won't be a positive either tho. The good news is, the race for the West should always be exciting. I really enjoy this set up we are in. Win the West and have a punchers chance. I'm a little disappointed that Nebraska and Wisconsin didn't fall off after their coaching changes tho.

I will give KF a pass if he gets to 9-4........I just don't trust the Iowa O enough to win 2 straight.

I'm surprised it took that long for someone to pull that part out of the column. I'm aware that 9-4 won't be enough for some folks. That's why I used rational (which I needed to fix my typo).

Another typo is Iowa shut out Minnesota in '08, not '09.

I remember '08 both fondly and with what if at the same time, the same was I would remember this year if we win out. Both had unnecessary losses early because of coaching but both finished strong and had a huge win I will always remember (assuming we win out).

I think it all comes down to Nebraska. 7-5 is the same 'ol Kirk. The Michigan win is great, but it's balanced by the NDSU loss.

8-4, on the other hand with two wins over top 20 teams would represent a nice comeback for this team.

And there is no "moral victory" if we play the Huskers close but lose. Next week will go a long way toward defining this season.

Even if they beat Nebraska I still think you have to win the bowl game in order to consider this season a success.

Another typo is Iowa shut out Minnesota in '08, not '09.

12-0 in '09 after OT loss in Columbus. '08 was last road shutout.

I agree that a moral victory is not obtainable against the Huskers. It's either a win that keeps the momentum going or a loss that stings.

I will give KF a pass if he gets to 9-4........I just don't trust the Iowa O enough to win 2 straight.

I would too. The bad part would be... he'd likely take the strong finish as validation of his system...including the pathetic offensive approach. Change... is something you get back from a dollar.

12-0 in '09 after OT loss in Columbus. '08 was last road shutout.

I agree that a moral victory is not obtainable against the Huskers. It's either a win that keeps the momentum going or a loss that stings.

Oh yeah. I forgot we shut out Minnesota two years in a row.

I would too. The bad part would be... he'd likely take the strong finish as validation of his system...including the pathetic offensive approach. Change... is something you get back from a dollar.

He shows you can win with his system. I just don't think it gives us anywhere near the best chance to win. Attacking on offense is a way better strategy these days.

I liked the few passes to Fant out of an H-back spot. The kid looks good with the ball in his hands. I'd welcome some more wrinkles like that.

I've not been a Greg Davis fan from Day 1. I would not have issue with him being replaced as I don't think his philosophy meshes with KF, who will always have a big hand in the offense.

Maybe Brian would work well with his dad. I don't know. I think chances are good that there's a better fit than GD, though.

If Iowa goes 9-4, however, I think it will be GD's choice. I don't think KF fires him. That's what I think based on history, not what I know, however.

Even if we go 9-4, if KF retains Davis, given all we have seen from this passing offense, I will be extremely dissappointed.

We have one if the worst offenses in the country (except for a solid run game).

Even if we go 9-4, if KF retains Davis, given all we have seen from this passing offense, I will be extremely dissappointed.

We have one if the worst offenses in the country (except for a solid run game).

I'm of the same mind. I want Iowa to win games, but if the cost is keeping Davis around longer. Then I think the wins actually harm the program long term.

--------No rational person could look negatively on a 9-4 season ending with a four-game winning streak.

Not in Iowa anyway.....if we do, the sportswriters will tell us how unrealistic we are.

---------I'm surprised it took that long for someone to pull that part out of the column.

The maybe you shouldn't have written it.

Last edited: