Howe: Positive Attitude Admirable But Hawkeyes Now Need Results

Nice way of saying "Talk is cheap." That's not a dig at you Rob but at the attitude of the players and the coach.

Fran should just admit that the players are not getting it done in crunch time and need to get some ice in their veins.

I am still hopeful for a strong finish as this team has showed in the recent past that it has the ability to beat anyone when playing at their full potential.

Im tired of hearing "everyone goes through rough patches" I get that, but that doesn't make it automatic you're gonna play out of it. It's time to start doing the necessary things it takes to get yourself out of the slump, it isnt just gonna happen.

Fran should just admit that the players are not getting it done in crunch time and need to get some ice in their veins.

He's really supposed to say this with 1 game left in the season and the entire postseason to play? I thought he sent this message last night (on Senior Night) when 4 bench players...Williams (12), Baer (13), Uhl (14) and Wagner (17)...all saw 12 to 17 minutes of playing time. This looked like a clear message to me. There are other guys I can play if you guys don't show me something.

Nice way of saying "Talk is cheap." That's not a dig at you Rob but at the attitude of the players and the coach.

I am still hopeful for a strong finish as this team has showed in the recent past that it has the ability to beat anyone when playing at their full potential.

Fran needs to admit he isn't getting it done either. Honestly this isn't something that just started happening with this team it's been an ongoing issue in close games since he arrived at Iowa.. It's doesn't hurt to use a timeout in close late game situations and draw up a ******* play that works and gives this team something positive to build on. Iowa lacks confidence!!

Good article. I like this in particular...because this is exactly what has happened IMO.

But that’s a component of slumps. Areas where you were flourishing can fade. Combine that with opponents improving and you have a recipe for a slide.

Fran needs to admit he isn't getting it done either. Honestly this isn't something that just started happening with this team it's been an ongoing issue in close games since he arrived at Iowa.. It's doesn't hurt to use a timeout in close late game situations and draw up a ******* play that works and gives this team something positive to build on. Iowa lacks confidence!!

Clemmons was wide open and put up an air ball. Our best shooter then got a wide open look from 3. How did Indiana let this happen? I thought those were both well designed plays. And I liked the idea of going to Clemmons because he had just made a 3 and NO ONE was expecting it.

He's really supposed to say this with 1 game left in the season and the entire postseason to play? I thought he sent this message last night (on Senior Night) when 4 bench players...Williams (12), Baer (13), Uhl (14) and Wagner (17)...all saw 12 to 17 minutes of playing time. This looked like a clear message to me. There are other guys I can play if you guys don't show me something.

I didn't see any message sent last night.

Clemmons was wide open and put up an air ball. Our best shooter then got a wide open look from 3. How did Indiana let this happen? I thought those were both well designed plays. And I liked the idea of going to Clemmons because he had just made a 3 and NO ONE was expecting it.

Yes we got a break at the end and yes Fran dialed up 2 good plays but look how it played out in order for it to play out that way. Please Tell me why I can't see more of that type of coaching against Wisconsin, Penn Stste and Ohio State. People need to stop focusing on the last few plays of a game and watch what is occuringin the last 4 minutes of these games. Iowa is a complete Train Wreck man!

so just a thought, and to start I am NOT blaming officiating in general. Do you think the way they call the game at the start of the year compared to the way the call it at the end of the year effecting this team?

All and all they need to play through it and adjust to it, but they do call a tighter game in Dec and Jan then they do in march. It benefits teams like Michigan St. in the way they call the game towards the end of the year.

I didn't see any message sent last night.

I remember when Jok was a freshman and didn't play all season. He then scores 10 points in 16 minutes against Tennessee in the NCAA Tournament. I think the bench getting 56 minutes last night was a message...and this thought actually occurred to me while watching the game live. I could be wrong...certainly wouldn't be the first or last time.

so just a thought, and to start I am NOT blaming officiating in general. Do you think the way they call the game at the start of the year compared to the way the call it at the end of the year effecting this team?

All and all they need to play through it and adjust to it, but they do call a tighter game in Dec and Jan then they do in march. It benefits teams like Michigan St. in the way they call the game towards the end of the year.

I agree completely with this post. It's being called differently...and it's not an excuse. But I think the NCAA Tournament usually reverts back to tighter officiating IMO.

I remember when Jok was a freshman and didn't play all season. He then scores 10 points in 16 minutes against Tennessee in the NCAA Tournament. I think the bench getting 56 minutes last night was a message...and this thought actually occurred to me while watching the game live. I could be wrong...certainly wouldn't be the first or last time.

Gessell and Clemmons where in foul trouble. Jok allegedly isn't feeling well. So I don't see message sent you speak of.

Yes we got a break at the end and yes Fran dialed up 2 good plays but look how it played out in order for it to play out that way. Please Tell me why I can't see more of that type of coaching against Wisconsin, Penn Stste and Ohio State. People need to stop focusing on the last few plays of a game and watch what is occuringin the last 4 minutes of these games. Iowa is a complete Train Wreck man!

You and I love to disagree but this year we've been on the same page...still are. I thought those were 2 good plays. And I have no answer for the rest of your post which is valid.

Gessell and Clemmons where in foul trouble. Jok allegedly isn't feeling well. So I don't see message sent you speak of.

That's fine. We can agree to disagree. Woodbury wan't in foul trouble and he was sitting while Uhl and Wagner were playing their butts off IMO. Baer played more...and took some shots. Williams looked good and made 4 out of 5 from the line. We'll see what the rotation looks like Sunday. I sure hope it was a message and these 4 get some extended minutes if any of the starters don't seem to be interested.

I agree completely with this post. It's bneing called differently...and it's not an excuse. But I think the NCAA Tournament usually reverts back to tighter officiating IMO.

Iowa been in bonus in all these games and crapping the bed at the line. Fouls are being called. Just look at The amount of times Iowa has gotten to the line for In this 4 game losing streak. its probably not even close. Iowa hits it's FT we win everyone of them!!!

Yes. Absolutely he is.

I know everyone likes to say "these are just college kids," and "you can't call kids out who are just playing a game," but the last time I checked they were adults getting paid $80-120K in tuition to do one thing and that's play ball. Please don't paint it any different.

Life is hard and sometimes you need to hear the cold hard truth instead of innuendo and "messages." I wish FM were in a better spot to be doing the talking, though.

Fran deserves credit for drawing up those plays. He can't enter the game and make the shot for them.

Latest posts