mike needs to become a threat to knock down

Already is. Does that mean our projected 1 seeded team is a threat now?

While I agree that these threads are getting a little repetitive I think there is some truth to it. I'm enjoying the ride right now but I do believe we are going to need MG to score 8-12 a game if we are going to make a deep run.

Already is. Does that mean our projected 1 seeded team is a threat now?

anyone with a basketball IQ understands the importance of Mike needing to be a threat to hit some open looks for tournament success. Pay attention to the BIG tourney for evidence.

He's already a threat to hit 15 foot shot for ****s sake

last 8 games, Mike's box score shooting:
Penn State 0-5
Northwestern 1-6
Maryland 6-10
Purdue 1-7
Rutgers 0-6
Michigan 1-4
Michigan State 4-10

Overall 13-48

i guess 27% is a serious threat in you book for ****s sake

Agreed. Is that nagging hammy affecting lift on his shot. Any and every great team HAS to have a pg who can score, when necessary. Cannot play 4 on 5 on offense. Hopefully MG gets in righted soon. Need him in stretch run and BIG tourney, etc

Mike G is fine. Team is fine. Try to enjoy this team as it doesn't happen very often. Next year you will be wondering why the Hawks can't get a good shot off without turning the ball over.

I agree with OP. If your PG misses a 15 ft. shot, he should immediately be benched and removed from starting roll. Forget that in their losses their asst/shot % is horrible. Forget the PG asst/to margin. Forget the fact that (once an inbounds pass gets to his hands) any full court press is worthless.

Bench him now.

I would really like to start a petition for some type of quiz or mini test before being allowed to post in the forums. Oh, and never mind the fact he dropped 20+ to get this streak started against MSU to start the B10 season.

We have 3 big time scorers in starting lineup now. And YES Clemons is a scorer now...dude has progressed to get to the rim when HE WANTS (or get fouled). We have 2 scorers off bench, Uhl and still Baer because of mismatches. Have somewhat better than avg rebounder/enforcer down low (still meh on this...just think he should try to jump every once in awhile), spark off bench in Wagner, usual great general in Mikey....lay off.....its good.

Edit: I apologize, just saw they are living in Arkansas...

Penn State 0-5
Northwestern 1-6
Maryland 6-10
Purdue 1-7
Rutgers 0-6
Michigan 1-4
Michigan State 4-10

Overall 13-48

Keep in mind that the Maryland 6-10 included 2-3 garbage lay ups after the game was decided by his missed FT & turnover otherwise the % would have been worse there.

We need MG, he's a senior, plays hard and has been a good player for us. I just have not been a fan of his floor game lately. Way too many contested misses at the rim and ill timed shots. Would like to see him get back to a more efficient game. He's in a funk at the moment but this will cost us in big games if it continues.

Hawks need Mike to:
1) Stop aggressively driving to the basket - especially with any intent to try to score. It rarely creates anything positive, like a score or a decent kick. It mostly results in posterization or a lost possession, which is going to cost your team a close game when it really matters this March.

2) Stop dribbling aimlessly for more than a couple seconds. Mike, you're not going to break anyone down, let alone, take them off the dribble. You've proven it for 4 years. We've all watched you prove it for 4 years. Please stop doing or you are going to cost your team a close game when it really matters this March.

3) Keep the ball moving with quick perimeter passes. I said, perimeter, not those forced attempts to thread the needle to Woody's kneecaps (that he can barely reach down to control). Let Uthoff, Jok, Baer, Sapp or just about anyone else on the floor (besides Woody) attempt to advance the ball toward the hoop. You need to treat the ball like a hot potato or you are going to cost your team a close game when it really matters this March.

4) Keep doing everything else -- the effort, the hustle, the defense -- exactly the same.

Mm-K? Thanx!

Another Mike G post... good god, we're in the midst of what could potentially be the best season in program history. Mike is a huge reason for it... he can hit that shot, he's a threat to... he isn't shooting great right now but he will or he won't down the stretch but he sure as hell aint getting benched.

Penn State 0-5
Northwestern 1-6
Maryland 6-10
Purdue 1-7
Rutgers 0-6
Michigan 1-4
Michigan State 4-10

Overall 13-48

Using shots from distances that aren't 15 feet to prove he isn't a threat from 15 feet is stupid

Penn State 0-5
Northwestern 1-6
Maryland 6-10
Purdue 1-7
Rutgers 0-6
Michigan 1-4
Michigan State 4-10

Overall 13-48

Apparently you don't have a "basketball IQ"... those numbers are meaningless if you do. :rolleyes:

I agree Mikes shot is off but he does more than just shoot.We have a lot more weapons to go to than past years and they all work hard in practice to get even better than they are.I'm sure he will figure it out and if he's off he will find the shooter that's hot.

Another Mike G post... good god, we're in the midst of what could potentially be the best season in program history. Mike is a huge reason for it... he can hit that shot, he's a threat to... he isn't shooting great right now but he will or he won't down the stretch but he sure as hell aint getting benched.

I'm enjoying the heck out of this season as I do every year. This is a message board where we discuss current trends of Iowa BB. Some people believe that we need more scoring out of our PG, others do not. Either way it's a valid argument.

A couple of people have talked about basketball IQ in this thread so I'll take a stab at that. It appears to me MG really wants to be considered a driver/slasher, or he believes that is his game. Basketball IQ, would say the best way to open up driving opportunities for yourself is to knock down a couple outside shots a game to make your defender come out on you. That is why I believe MG should shoot 3-5 jump shots and at least a couple of 3s a game. If he does that I think it will open up his driving game.

Also, I do not think he is hurt, I think it is more mental, did you see that putback slam after Sapp was fouled?

Just because it's a great season doesn't mean we can't discuss things that could still be better.. The theme of this thread is spot on IMO - this team is even better if MG can be an offensive threat. No, he won't be our #1 or even #2 scoring option, and he doesn't have to be, but if he can score 8-10, dish out assists, and not turn the ball over, then this team will be that much better. Did the offense in the 2nd half last night impress anyone?

Iowa could make a run to the Final Four - but to do so, we need MG at his best. So I think this is valid discussion.

P.S. - I think we need to continue to get contributions off the bench as well.

If Mike Gesell gets back to the way he was playing 4 weeks ago, this team could cut down the nets in Houston. The good news is he has time to get himself right again offensively. His defense is great. Better now than March.

Agreed. Is that nagging hammy affecting lift on his shot. Any and every great team HAS to have a pg who can score, when necessary. Cannot play 4 on 5 on offense. Hopefully MG gets in righted soon. Need him in stretch run and BIG tourney, etc

Affecting lift? Did you see him hanging from the rim vs Penn state? Nothing wrong with his lift.

Seems like he goes through a stretch like this every season and he's always come through it. I'm not worried about him.

Well despite MG not having a good jumper they've played really well. At least he's not taking 15 shots a game and missing a ton. He's self aware and what jumpers he's taken were good looks I thought. Is it frustrating to have your PG not be able to hit outside shot? You bet. But hey we have a 7 footer that can't hardly dunk unless it's under perfect conditions for him but he's playing really well in a lot of other ways. To me at this point I want to be done nit picking the games of the individuals and focus on what a historic year they are having as a TEAM. Hats off to Fran for putting it all the pieces together and getting the most out of them.

Latest posts