FootballScoop

I'm a little worried Brian isn't quite ready to take over next season.

If this all played out and KF left, there is no way Brian would be elevated to Coach of Iowa next season. He would be the Youngest Coach in College football by 3 years at 31, but I'm not buying into Brian as coach at Iowa stuff. I honestly don't see Brian ever being coach at Iowa.

Now you ha e us all exited and dreaming... So what happens if it does come to fruition and lets just say Bielima and all stoops family say no... Where do we honestly go? Diaco is not D1 material. Is there a young cat that is fierce on the recruiting front and sharp as a tac? Everything I saw from Butch Jones is what i want. He was sharp, well spoken, clearly had the team prepared, and is a sensational recruiter.

Jones is most of what you describe. But he's no young cat. Not even sort of.

Personally, and I've got next to zero belief that it would happen (what little belief I might be able to muster is more wishful thinking than anything), I would love to see the scenario Deace laid out in the podcast. Basically wipe the slate entirely clean on the coaching staff (maybe keep a couple guys, almost certainly Doyle) and go into the coaches convention with an radically aggressive gameplan to pull in some of the top up and comers and really reinvent the program, similar to what JoePa did at PSU. Say what you will about Sandusky, but that didn't have anything to do with the way the program reinvented itself and made a dramatic bounceback from 2005-2011. And considering how much Ferentz always seemed to look up to Paterno, I can't think of a better example to try and coax him into making those radical changes.

Personally, and I've got next to zero belief that it would happen (what little belief I might be able to muster is more wishful thinking than anything), I would love to see the scenario Deace laid out in the podcast. Basically wipe the slate entirely clean on the coaching staff (maybe keep a couple guys, almost certainly Doyle) and go into the coaches convention with an radically aggressive gameplan to pull in some of the top up and comers and really reinvent the program, similar to what JoePa did at PSU. Say what you will about Sandusky, but that didn't have anything to do with the way the program reinvented itself and made a dramatic bounceback from 2005-2011. And considering how much Ferentz always seemed to look up to Paterno, I can't think of a better example to try and coax him into making those radical changes.
When you find yourself agreeing with Deace, it's time to take a long, cold, hard look in the mirror and really evaluate where you are in life and what choices have brought you to this point.

I'm with TM3308 on it. It's time to make Kirk be a bit more accountable and uncomfortable in his position. Now who here knows what this coaches convention is (other than coaches attending said convention)? Is this just a bunch of high school coaches or former DII assistants that have lost their positions, because Kirk just hired 3 unemployed coaches 3 years ago. Steve Deace laid it on the line and to be honest I like everything he pointed out. I would love to see Kirk take a pay cut and put fourth that money towards a new staff that is paid handsomely for results, not intentions. Incentives work in all business sectors and coaching should be no different.

When you find yourself agreeing with Deace, it's time to take a long, cold, hard look in the mirror and really evaluate where you are in life and what choices have brought you to this point.

I think he's a twit too, but sometimes he's right.

i-dont-always-look-in-the-mirror-but-when-i-do-i-like-what-i-see.jpg

I would love to see Kirk take a pay cut and put fourth that money towards a new staff that is paid handsomely for results, not intentions. Incentives work in all business sectors and coaching should be no different.

I'm as big an anti-Kirk guy as anybody, but why should he have to take less $$ than his contract stipulates? If the assistants need to be paid more, GarBar needs to come up with the money.

I'm not with him on at least 90% of the stuff he talks about (if we're including his political views), but the scenario he laid out is the only one that would allow Ferentz to keep coaching here for more than another year or two, and it would actually give us a very real chance of bouncing back to where we were before. Cleaning house and offering 2-year guaranteed contracts for new OC/DC's, plus snagging some other top-flight assistants who can bring new ideas to the program, is what Ferentz needs to do if he plans on coaching past 2016 (if even that long). And considering we're stuck with him for another year if we're being smart (rather than picking from the leftovers to replace him now), we might as well try something radically different.

Ferentz does not need anymore time. It's over. Whole staff needs to go, including Doyle. Why should he be retained? We are as unathletic as we have ever been, getting shoved around on both sides of the ball. This era is over, period.

Ferentz does not need anymore time. It's over. Whole staff needs to go, including Doyle. Why should he be retained? We are as unathletic as we have ever been, getting shoved around on both sides of the ball. This era is over, period.

This is among the most surprising things to me. Never thought I'd agree with the above comment...but our strength training appears to be nothing special anymore.

Maybe Kirk wants to retire or move on. If so he might negotiate a deal for a reduced buyout.

Last edited:

That would be a model that could work, but more than anything, I think what they need is someone who can recruit like crazy. They need better football players. Now, to the extent Iowa needs to have new coaches, with new schemes, to entice the better football players to come, then so be it, do what's necessary. They need better football players. I hope my point is clear, they need better football players.

That would be a model that could work, but more than anything, I think what they need is someone who can recruit like crazy. They need better football players. Now, to the extent Iowa needs to have new coaches, with new schemes, to entice the better football players to come, then so be it, do what's necessary. They need better football players. I hope my point is clear, they need better football players.
It's going to take 3 or 4 years before the players that a good recruiter would bring here will have any kind of impact on the field.

It's going to take 3 or 4 years before the players that a good recruiter would bring here will have any kind of impact on the field.

Maybe less, but generally, I agree. But the same is true for the 2 star kids they bring in.

Latest posts