Fleming Trying to Bring 5 Star Big Man to Iowa City

Some recruiting reporter (I'm too lazy to look at who it was) tweeted that he spoke to the two of them and that "a package deal between the two is a possibility." A bunch of Iowa personalities retweeted it and everyone got pumped.

They all seemed to overlook the fact that Iowa was not mentioned.

You're right, grape, it could go the other way. But I think most (me included) are counting on Fleming's stated firm commitment to Iowa and to recruit top talent. I believe after he verballed, he tweeted something to the effect that he was pretty tight with a lot of the top prospects and that he was gonna work on them to see who he could convince to come to Iowa. I guess we'll know if Fleming does or doesn't sign in November, but you could be correct. I'm just not going to let myself think that, at this time. :cool:

I'm not sure if they're serious or not, I've kind of followed this on Twitter from the get-go when Skal tweeted with Flemming about them being a packaged deal. And to my knowledge, Skal doesn't have an Iowa offer, not that they wouldn't Offer if he said I wanna come there.

Serious question here .. but what "rumblings?" I don't even see Iowa listed on his schools of interest? Has Fleming flatout said he is trying to convince this kid to come to Iowa? I know Dickerson did flatout say in articles and on Twitter he was working on Atwood. Is that what you are saying? When I read a comment about some "rumblings" I just naturally get skeptical so just looking for an example ...

There's a 24/7 article linking the two players, but I don't have access to it. There was also a tweet from Skal:

My bro @Andrew22Fleming was killing me this weekend...laughing right now just thinking about it

What's interesting to me is that Fleming seems to be buddy/buddy with this 5 star center who has yet to commit and Fleming also transferred out of TN where he was Mr Basketball to go to an academy in Virgina. Was it just to play against better competition, or was it to increase his stock value and interest with the "big boys"? Completely hypothetical scenario from myself, and Fleming seems to be all about the Hawks which I like, but still I always assume 17 year old kids enjoy attention and tend to change their minds all the time. I guess when it comes to following recruiting, you tend to get burned more than anything else so...yeah.

Larry Brown lost his top recruit. He has decided to play overseas for a year before trying to go to the NBA. It could be a trend in the future. That's the same guy Kentucky was after before settling for Ulis. Even if the guy doesn't make the NBA, he probably will make a lot of money in basketball overseas without having to go to class.

For guys who fail to qualify academically, sure. For the elite prospects who don't have academic hurdles, probably not. Brandon Jennings hit the NBA five years ago, and no one else has taken that route voluntarily.

I'm not sure if they're serious or not, I've kind of followed this on Twitter from the get-go when Skal tweeted with Flemming about them being a packaged deal. And to my knowledge, Skal doesn't have an Iowa offer, not that they wouldn't Offer if he said I wanna come there.
Courtside Films @CourtsideFilms · 5h

"Talked with Andrew Fleming & Skal Labissiere sounds like package deal is a definite possibility. Iowa coaches will be contacting Skal soon."

Serious question here .. but what "rumblings?" I don't even see Iowa listed on his schools of interest? Has Fleming flatout said he is trying to convince this kid to come to Iowa? I know Dickerson did flatout say in articles and on Twitter he was working on Atwood. Is that what you are saying? When I read a comment about some "rumblings" I just naturally get skeptical so just looking for an example ...

There are some tweets on the HR pay board. One in particular said that Fleming and Skal might be a package deal. I'm not getting my hopes up at all, just found it interesting.

For guys who fail to qualify academically, sure. For the elite prospects who don't have academic hurdles, probably not. Brandon Jennings hit the NBA five years ago, and no one else has taken that route voluntarily.

Im actualy surprised more guys dont do it for the quick money. I guess I don't know what kind of contracts they have the potential to be getting and it might be niave of me to assume that they are not already getting paid anyway.

Apparently Skal tweeted out that he wanted to play in college with Fleming. Tom Kakert at Hawkeye Report has an article on it right now and Fleming said he was shocked when Skal did that, and that Skal said he meant it, FWIW. Don't want to share any more as it's a $$$

Then there is the downer scenario that a school like KU offers Fleming in order to get Skal too ;). Long way to go

Then there is the downer scenario that a school like KU offers Fleming in order to get Skal too ;). Long way to go

A pretty reasonable scenario I'm afraid. I'm not counting on AF or BH until they sign on the dotted line in November. Sounds like they're both all about the Hawks though.

Larry Brown lost his top recruit. He has decided to play overseas for a year before trying to go to the NBA. It could be a trend in the future. That's the same guy Kentucky was after before settling for Ulis. Even if the guy doesn't make the NBA, he probably will make a lot of money in basketball overseas without having to go to class.

Mudiay will be a lottery pick next year. His time overseas will be short.

fleming's incessant self promotion suggests a personality that would be likely back out the verbal to iowa if something better comes along

don't hold a single breath for labissere

mudiay might as well go D league

with paying taxes in two nations on his euro salary (and the high rates in Euro countries), he'd have to almost double the what he'd make with a basic D League contract for it to be worth it.

don't know how many euro teams would throw 50G+ at a high school kid on a short term contract

mudiay might as well go D league

with paying taxes in two nations on his euro salary (and the high rates in Euro countries), he'd have to almost double the what he'd make with a basic D League contract for it to be worth it.

don't know how many euro teams would throw 50G+ at a high school kid on a short term contract

Sounds like he will likely play in China. He will ink a shoe deal soon that will bring millions, and China will be good for his brand. And yes, he will make at least 300k in China for a year. He will be a top 5 pick next draft, and those guys do not go to NBDL.

fleming's incessant self promotion suggests a personality that would be likely back out the verbal to iowa if something better comes along

oh-no-you-didnt-27.jpg

We've never had anyone back out before.....:)

I am beginning to agree with you Palm. All the chest-thumping by Flem makes me think he may be a lot more work for good chemistry. He may be more likely to jump if the opportunity arises.

The kid seems sincere to me. He is just doing what he said he was going to do and that is help recruit players for Iowa.