Tony Ramos: Iowa Hawkeyes Male Athlete of the Year

Congrats to Ramos! I dont know about everyone else but my heart was about to beat out of my chest during his finals match. I was so happy for him. What a stud

Congrats to Tony! I agree with WT, that last match was a perfect way for Tony to finish his career. Defiantly a heart stopper.

Tony became our boys' favorite Hawkeye. He was exciting to watch and he performed, especially in the NCAA tournament this year.

Probably should have went to Marble but congrats to Ramos. He had a fantastic career.

Not sure I agree with that. While Marble took Iowa back to the NCAA tournament Tony finished a career in which he was a three time All American, a conference title, and never lost a match at Carver. Tony might be one of three or four guys to never lose at Carver, and he was a four year starter.

A well deserved honor for the champ.

Marble finished 5th in Iowa history in career scoring. He was 1st team All-B1G from the Media and Coaches this year. Marble is one of only two Big Ten players since 1985-86 to amass 1,675+ points, 375+ assists, 450+ rebounds and 175+ steals in a career. He finished fifth in Iowa history in free throws made, sixth in career assists and seventh in career steals.

And basketball>wrestling in the world of college athletics.

And basketball>wrestling in the world of college athletics.

Thank goodness that this is Iowa and in this state Wrestling>basketball. Again I know how good Marble was for the Iowa basketball program. Go through Iowa's basketball history and Iowa's wrestling history and tell me that it is not more impressive to go undefeated at Carver as opposed to where Marble finished in Iowa's all time ranks. Wrestling doesn't name 1st and 2nd teams, but Ramos finished 3rd, 2nd, 2nd, 1st in the Big Ten, DNP, 3rd, 2nd, 1st at Nationals. Tony also finished really well among Iowa's ranks in pins. Tony has plenty of all time Iowa ranks to match Marble.

This is also athlete of the year so while both did great things over their careers (I am just acknowledging more than just the current season is taken into account) Ramos had a better season than Marble did even if Marble did finish on the All Big Ten basketball team, because Ramos was able to do so much more in the post season than Marble was. Marble let his team fall to Northwestern in the Big Ten tournament, and he failed to get Iowa to the round of 64 at the NCAA tournament. When it counted this past post season, Marble wasn't there when his team needed him. I don't want to take away from his great season, and he is going to be missed, but you can't ignore that both Marble and Ramos got monkeys off their backs this year. The difference is Marble's was making a tournament and Ramos' monkey was being the best in the nation at his weight.

As I said upfront Iowa values wrestling a lot more than other states, and just because there was a good basketball player doesn't mean wrestling should be over looked.

Thank goodness that this is Iowa and in this state Wrestling>basketball.

Really? Please post the average attendance for home men's basketball games and the average attendance for home wrestling meets this year for Iowa, ISU and UNI since you claim wrestling>basketball in the state.

And why are team accomplishments now a part of this individual award?

The only reason Ramos got the monkey off his back is because Steiber was no longer in his weight class.

I never said wrestling should be overlooked. You just get all butthurt when somebody says basketball has a better following than wrestling in this state. Anybody in this state would realize that, except for wrestling fans.

I guess I was going off that Iowa has a LOT more history with wrestling than it does with basketball. Because of the success Iowa is known for wrestling, and that causes wrestling to be more recognized at our university than other states.

"And why are team accomplishments now a part of this individual award?"
I guess you are right lets factor out Marble's team accomplishments (which is what really makes his career so great) Tony being the 3rd best and 2nd best in the NCAA and top three all four years in the conference is a better accomplishment than Marble has to his credit and that is before you factor in Tony's title. Marble getting Iowa to the NIT final game (it was all on his back really) and getting Iowa back to the NCAA is the greatest thing to his credit, if we don't count that having the best in the nation is a lot better than having the best in the conference in another sport. Both have all time great things they did in their sport, so it should probably come down to who was the most successful, obviously Tony.

"The only reason Ramos got the monkey off his back is because Steiber was no longer in his weight class."
Well I guess Marble is lucky all the one-and-done's went on to the NBA, had some of those players stuck around for four years no way Marble is a first teamer.

"never said wrestling should be overlooked. You just get all butthurt when somebody says basketball has a better following than wrestling in this state. Anybody in this state would realize that, except for wrestling fans."
I am not butthurt and I am actually a basketball fan too. I respect what Marble did for the Iowa program, but what Tony did this year is a lot more than Marble. You are the one that said it should have went to Marble so I was trying to point out just because he doesn't compete for the popular sport, his accomplishments were really good.

Well I guess Marble is lucky all the one-and-done's went on to the NBA, had some of those players stuck around for four years no way Marble is a first teamer.

Nice try. Leaving the college level to go get paid in the NBA is a lot different than moving up one weight class. Steiber was still in college and more than likely would have beat Ramos if they would have been in the same weight class again. That is the major reason Ramos won his national title.

Nice try. Leaving the college level to go get paid in the NBA is a lot different than moving up one weight class. Steiber was still in college and more than likely would have beat Ramos if they would have been in the same weight class again. That is the major reason Ramos won his national title.

Well now that you mention it Stieber's future in wrestling will be at 143 lbs (international weight) most likely if he wants to win an Olympic gold. So moving up for Stieber was in his best interest for his career aspirations. But I suppose that argument doesn't work for you. Convenient that players leaving for the NBA doesn't equate to a human being growing and getting stronger, while also putting them in a better position to further their career. What I can tell from this is you don't think Tony is as deserving as Marble, I guess that's your prerogative. Tony's career and season results speak for themselves. I don't need to argue why Tony deserves the award, because well, he actually won it. You can keep defending Marble all you want, but at the end of the day, the nod went to Tony because obviously a majority of the people deciding thought he deserved it.

Well now that you mention it Stieber's future in wrestling will be at 143 lbs (international weight) most likely if he wants to win an Olympic gold. So moving up for Stieber was in his best interest for his career aspirations. But I suppose that argument doesn't work for you. Convenient that players leaving for the NBA doesn't equate to a human being growing and getting stronger, while also putting them in a better position to further their career. What I can tell from this is you don't think Tony is as deserving as Marble, I guess that's your prerogative. Tony's career and season results speak for themselves. I don't need to argue why Tony deserves the award, because well, he actually won it. You can keep defending Marble all you want, but at the end of the day, the nod went to Tony because obviously a majority of the people deciding thought he deserved it.

So is this back to being an award based on the student-athletes career achievements or just a single season? You keep playing on both sides of the fence.

So is this back to being an award based on the student-athletes career achievements or just a single season? You keep playing on both sides of the fence.

You will say anything to try and win won't you:
you can't ignore that both Marble and Ramos got monkeys off their backs this year. The difference is Marble's was making a tournament and Ramos' monkey was being the best in the nation at his weight.

I could not have made it more clear, Ramos being a NATIONAL CHAMPION, means that he was one of ten wrestlers to earn the honor of best at what they do. Marble's best honor was All Big Ten team. I would rather have one of the best in the NCAA at one major sport rather than an all conference player in another. Would you rather have an All American RB or an All Big Ten Shooting guard?

Also, way to ignore the rest of the post, I suppose when I defeat the majority of your argument it makes sense to cling to anything to save face.

I merely added in the career stuff because as I said:
This is also athlete of the year so while both did great things over their careers (I am just acknowledging more than just the current season is taken into account)

I am playing both sides of the fence because it's easy. Ramos had a great career on one of college wrestling's most storied programs. Top that off and he was a Big Ten and NCAA champion? It's so easy to see that is a way better accomplishment than what Marble did this season. I also find it funny because you also brought up Marble's career accomplishments (Marble finished 5th in Iowa history in career scoring. He was 1st team All-B1G from the Media and Coaches this year. Marble is one of only two Big Ten players since 1985-86 to amass 1,675+ points, 375+ assists, 450+ rebounds and 175+ steals in a career. He finished fifth in Iowa history in free throws made, sixth in career assists and seventh in career steals.)

Please don't act innocent that I am the only one arguing career results, when clearly you are too. It's a moot point anyway.

I would rather have one of the best in the NCAA at one major sport rather than an all conference player in another.

2 things wrong with this statement.

First, there are only 2 major sports in the NCAA (Football and men's basketball).

Second, was Ramos really one of the best in the NCAA at his sport? He was without a doubt the best at his weight class but I have a hard time believing a 133 pounder could hang with any of the guys at 149 or above.

2 things wrong with this statement.

First, there are only 2 major sports in the NCAA (Football and men's basketball).

Second, was Ramos really one of the best in the NCAA at his sport? He was without a doubt the best at his weight class but I have a hard time believing a 133 pounder could hang with any of the guys at 149 or above.

I guess I consider wrestling a major sport considering Iowa still averages 8000+ fans at their dual meets and it was even on ESPNU for the NCAAs. Maybe major sport was a strong word.

Funny that you mention because Ramos actually beat the 141 runner up in the all star meet so he could hang with some bigger guys. Also, you are obviously being facetious. If you want to ignore Tony was a NCAA champion and that in it's own right is a huge accomplishment, that's a you issue.

You are running out of valid arguments so I feel like you are going to full on troll mode. Sometimes you need to know when to walk away. I couldn't have made the evidence any clearer for you.

I guess I consider wrestling a major sport considering Iowa still averages 8000+ fans at their dual meets and it was even on ESPNU for the NCAAs.

So Iowa led the nation in attendance again and barely filled half of CHA on average but you would still consider wrestling a major sport?

And the NCAA semi's and finals were on ESPN, not ESPNU. Do you even follow wrestling that closely?

Latest posts