Basketball Banquet Awards.....

ForeverHawk

Per Iowa Basketball Twitter:

Newcomer of the year: Jarrod Utoff

Most Improved: Josh Oglesby

Defensive Player: Adam Woodbury

Best Rebounder: Aaron White(Third year in a row)

Academic Award: Mike Gesell

Appreciation Award: Darius Stokes

Co-Top Playmaker: Mike Gesell

Co-Top Playmaker: Devyn Marble

Chris Street Award: Devyn Marble

Last edited:
No award to Mel?

Maybe I don't fully appreciate the appreciation award or Stokes' contribution to the program but I would have given it to Basabe for following the coach who recruited him at a small school much closer to home when that coach went to a big unknown school and decrepit program halfway across the country. Mel's play, especially as a freshman, helped to start turning things around for Fran and for Iowa. He'll always be a special Hawkeye to me for that.

Other than maybe Gabe for 'Most Improved,' I would have given Marble the 'Top Playmaker' award. No need for co-anything, not everybody needs a trophy.

Other than maybe Gabe for 'Most Improved,' I would have given Marble the 'Top Playmaker' award. No need for co-anything, not everybody needs a trophy.

I, too, wondered about Josh for "Most Improved." Gabe certainly was a contender there. No problem with co- "Top Playmaker" to Dev and Mikey.

No award to Mel?

Maybe I don't fully appreciate the appreciation award or Stokes' contribution to the program but I would have given it to Basabe for following the coach who recruited him at a small school much closer to home when that coach went to a big unknown school and decrepit program halfway across the country. Mel's play, especially as a freshman, helped to start turning things around for Fran and for Iowa. He'll always be a special Hawkeye to me for that.
Completely agree. Nothing against Stokes, but Mel deserved some recognition.

Hopefully this doesn't blow out the frame. From Iowa Men's Basketball's Facebook page:

Devyn Marble stands with Mike and Patty Street after being presented with the Chris Street Award at the team's annual awards banquet tonight in Coralville. The Chris Street Award, named in honor of former Hawkeye Chris Street, is presented annually to "A Hawkeye player who best exemplifies the spirit, enthusiasm and intensity of Chris Street." Street died in an auto accident January 19, 1993, midway through his junior year.

10264127_756507637716296_8351654880537326612_o.jpg

put me on the list of people who are a little surprised that Mel didn't get anything. i certainly appreciate what he helped do for Iowa. the Hawks were freaking terrible when he decided to come here.

Not a shot at Mel or any posters here, but I don't understand the desire to give Mel an award for simply choosing to follow a coach to a help rebuild a program. Again, I'm thrilled that Roy, Mel, and even Zach took a chance and helped turn a program around. That said though, just my opinion, but to present a "post season" award based on something a guy did four years ago doesn't make sense to me. I just see it a "what did you do this season" award rather than a "life time achievement award". Again, not a shot at any posters who think otherwise.

What I would like to know is how was the chemestrey between the players ?

I read extremely positive tweets from Gesell, White and Gabe after the banquet last night. Thanking the seniors, saying how much they will miss the seniors, etc.

Not a shot at Mel or any posters here, but I don't understand the desire to give Mel an award for simply choosing to follow a coach to a help rebuild a program. Again, I'm thrilled that Roy, Mel, and even Zach took a chance and helped turn a program around. That said though, just my opinion, but to present a "post season" award based on something a guy did four years ago doesn't make sense to me. I just see it a "what did you do this season" award rather than a "life time achievement award". Again, not a shot at any posters who think otherwise.

Considering where Iowa was five years ago, Mel was the closest thing to a "statement" recruit in Fran's first Iowa class. Three-star power forward born in Glen Cove, N.Y., was going to play for Fran at nearby Siena. Two other East Coast schools -- BC and St. John's -- were also in the mix and when Fran left for Iowa City Mel could have stayed close to home. Instead, he decided to take a chance to come to Iowa where he led the team in rebounding and blocks as a freshman, earned honorable mention all-Big Ten and was named to the Big Ten's all-freshman team.

Without Mel, my guess is Fran would have had less of a chance with Mike and Woody, and perhaps some others. While his last three years weren't as remarkable as his first, Mel got Iowa hoops noticed during his freshman year and was a key player all four years. That's why I think he deserved an award.

Considering where Iowa was five years ago, Mel was the closest thing to a "statement" recruit in Fran's first Iowa class. Three-star power forward born in Glen Cove, N.Y., was going to play for Fran at nearby Siena. Two other East Coast schools -- BC and St. John's -- were also in the mix and when Fran left for Iowa City Mel could have stayed close to home. Instead, he decided to take a chance to come to Iowa where he led the team in rebounding and blocks as a freshman, earned honorable mention all-Big Ten and was named to the Big Ten's all-freshman team.

Without Mel, my guess is Fran would have had less of a chance with Mike and Woody, and perhaps some others. While his last three years weren't as remarkable as his first, Mel got Iowa hoops noticed during his freshman year and was a key player all four years. That's why I think he deserved an award.

As stated above, there isnt a Lifetime Achievement Award.

I would guess Basabe received an award or two at these banquets in the past. Most likely got the Newcomer of the Year award after his freshman year. People are making way too big a deal out of this.

As stated above, there isnt a Lifetime Achievement Award.

I would guess Basabe received an award or two at these banquets in the past. Most likely got the Newcomer of the Year award after his freshman year. People are making way too big a deal out of this.

It's the off-season. We're allowed to do that. :)

I think it is perfectly reasonable to say that Basabe was deserving of an award based on what he did this season. Quite simply, he was a better rebounder than White this season. Basabe had a higher total rebounding rate (17.6% vs. 13.1%) and averaged more rebounds per 36 minutes (12.8 vs. 9.5). Because White played more minutes, he recorded more total rebounds and averaged more per game than Basabe, which is the only reason he was named "Best Rebounder" over Basabe.

I think it is perfectly reasonable to say that Basabe was deserving of an award based on what he did this season. Quite simply, he was a better rebounder than White this season. Basabe had a higher total rebounding rate (17.6% vs. 13.1%) and averaged more rebounds per 36 minutes (12.8 vs. 9.5). Because White played more minutes, he recorded more total rebounds and averaged more per game than Basabe, which is the only reason he was named "Best Rebounder" over Basabe.

good points Bob!

Latest posts