IU's Cody Zeller = weak sauce tonight

Syracuse bigs are controlling Zeller and rendering him ineffective. The Orange is crushing Indy right now. That 2-3 zone is really frustrating the Hoosiers..hopefully a good blueprint for beating them next year.

no doubt zeller is weak tonight - yelled at the tv many times for him to shoot the ball, or at least make a move - but the syracuse match up zone isn't something that is replicated. they are hitting their stride tonight on D.

In a way, I'm bummed a B1G final four is no longer an option. But trolling Indiana basketball fans is almost as fun as digging at Hukker football fans. If you are on twitter, its pretty funny. Feel free to pile on @LaBeckYES as he is a Hoosier in NYC. A bad combo of delusion and self importance. He got all weepy over a comment regarding Indiana cutting down sweet sixteen nets. So troll, dig, poke, whatever you feel, but it reminds me of when Mike Anderson was relieved of his duties at good old IU and hoosier fans were begging for Steve Alford and Hawkeye fans were saying PLEASE TAKE HIM!

no doubt zeller is weak tonight - yelled at the tv many times for him to shoot the ball, or at least make a move - but the syracuse match up zone isn't something that is replicated. they are hitting their stride tonight on D.

Syracuse looks like the type of team that's going to win this thing.

Crean did a terrible job of preparing Indiana and Syracuse played their best game of the year. Indiana looked like Iowa did under Lickliter--totally outclassed athletically. Oladipo and Hulls looked like their shoes were glued to the floor and Syracuse did not let their shooters even get the ball off their hip most of the night. Intense D from Syracuse last night, not sure any team in the country could have overcome it. With that being said, we will see what the NCAA finds out in their investigation. Hard to believe Boeheim gets all these kids in school and keeps them in, until they turn pro. I am not sure we would have scored 20 points against their D last night.

I'm leaning towards giving more props to `Cuse rather than lambasting Indy.

First time Indy saw/played against a defense which `Cuse plays every game, every year. Only had a couple of days to prepare for it.

And `Cuse executed it exceedingly well.

I too am bummed with Indy going out as I've longed for having four Big-10 teams in the final four. We could still get 3.....or zero.

Cuse D was stifling. It wasn't just Zeller. IU's guards were getting it handed to them, as well.

I think Zeller proved to himself last night that he needs to enter the draft this year as his draft stock will not get any higher next year.

I picked Syracuse to beat Indiana mainly because of their zone defense. Boeheim said after the game, and I agree with him, that teams that dont see Syracuse all year have a hell of a time beating them because they have never seen a defense like that. Crean could have ran all the 2-3 in practice to prep them but he cant come close to simulating Syracuse length and athleticism.

I was kind of rooting for my bracket to take a hit in order for all 4 B1G teams to make the Final Four but it does make me feel better about it not happening because I got to see Crean go down.

I am now very much in control of the HN tourney challenge and have the inside track at winning the Teddy V t shirt.

Zeller is playing like complete dog crap tonight, is he hurt? Have to admit Cuse's defense is damn good.

Nope. He had no mid range game at all. All he does is puts his head down hoping to get bailed out by a foul. He wasnt getting bailed out last night like he has the entire Big 10 season. He has a helluva long way to go.

Definitely weak sauce. He keeps trying to draw the foul playing to the refs and they aren't having it. He needs to play to make the shot instead of trying to get the foul, he looks bad.

Agreed, he is going to find out the NBA officials will not give him those calls either. White is the same way, he needs to develop his shooting or he will never make it at the next level.

Sometimes the other team just beats you. Syracuse played a hecka game last night and deserved the win.

Cody, you are still THE MAN! Go pro please.:p

Cody- Zone isn't allowed in the NBA, make last night the last night you ever play against a zone defense, for the good of all involved.

That was all about Crean being exposed as a coach. You have four days to prepare you team for that zone and that's all you got. That was "turrible"...as Barkley would say. Granted, the Cuse big men were allowed to absolutely clobber Zeller most of the night...but we are in the 'swallow your whistle time' of the tournament. I don't think that game was officiated the way Indiana had hoped. No excuse for them, but there was a ton of contact on Zeller and others.

The way you beat that Zone is that you have to isolate two shooter at the top and let them launch, but your other three guys are crashing the boards. Indiana was all spreadout and had no offensive rebounding position. Watch what Marquette does...they will hammer the offensive glass. That's how you beat the 'Cuse. You play a zone, you can't protect the glass against good rebounding teams.

Let's face, Indiana was more finesse all year anyway...but that game plan and offensive execution was turrible.

The whole IU team looked off last night. Syracuse's defense was stifling (and hammering), and IU didn't respond. They had their chance early in the second half, but they didn't take advantage and then the window closed on them. As an aside - Crean is going to trip up/slam into a player someday; he's a wild man on the sidelines (or more like, on the inbound side of the court).

As I was watching this game the only thing I could think of is why doesn't Iowa do more zone. We have done it on and off all season and it has been pretty well, but our players have similar builds to the starting 5 of Syracuse, minus two features. Gesell isn't 6'4 like Triche, and we don't have someone on the wing with the athleticism of Fair. But think of the length we could have on the floor with Marble at the top of the key, Jok/Uthoff and Gesell on the wings. Then Basabe/White and Woody/Olaseni in the post.

Again this is just a thought, as this team shown all season that they went from a terrible defensive team last year, to arguably one of the best in the Big 10 this year.

While Cuse' was allowed to pretty much molest Indiana all night, you have to toughen up and adjust. Instead their big men were backing away like scared little girls. The refs aren't going to call it when you keep fading away from the basket.

As I was watching this game the only thing I could think of is why doesn't Iowa do more zone. We have done it on and off all season and it has been pretty well, but our players have similar builds to the starting 5 of Syracuse, minus two features. Gesell isn't 6'4 like Triche, and we don't have someone on the wing with the athleticism of Fair. But think of the length we could have on the floor with Marble at the top of the key, Jok/Uthoff and Gesell on the wings. Then Basabe/White and Woody/Olaseni in the post.

Again this is just a thought, as this team shown all season that they went from a terrible defensive team last year, to arguably one of the best in the Big 10 this year.

The zone that Syracuse runs is very difficult, there are very few teams who are athletic and disciplined enough to run it with success. Plus we are Iowa so we would be in foul trouble 3 minutes into the game.

I watched part of the game in the first half ('cuse was ahead by about 10 points).

It was real apparent no indiana player was going to do any damage down-low against that zone.

I kept thinking: why doesn't Crean call for more transition plays? Every time 'cuse misses, Indiana should push it hard to the basket before 'cuse's stifling zone is set up. Doesn't Indiana have any fast break plays or players?

EDIT: So, Zeller may sit a lot. At least, Indiana has a better chance of winning.