Your Favorite Hawkeye FB game replay of All time???

For me, it's the game that was played on November 8, 2008.

They just showed in on the BTN. It's my favorite Hawkeye game of All time.

THANK YOU Dan Murray, for drilling the Field goal with 5 seconds left.

IOWA 24 Penn State 23

go hawks.............IOWA...............The HAWKEYE state

This is tough because '85 Michigan/Iowa never gets old.....Same for the '05 Cap one or '09 MSU game. Even the '87 Iowa/OSU game though that game wasn't televised. I believe you can watch the whole game now beyond Hartlieb's wounded duck to Cook(who ran 20 yds.) after the catch, with no time left to score the game winning TD.

1977 Iowa State, 1985 Michigan and Michigan State, 1986 and 1987 Holiday Bowls, 1990 Michigan, 2002 Purdont, 2004 o$u, 2008 Pedo State, 2013 Nebraska and many more, too many to list. Does anyone know if it is possible to get a copy of the 1974 win over UCLA? I've been wanting that one for so long.

My favorite has to be the 2005 Capital One bowl against LSU. Not to many people was giving our Hawks a chance to win the game. There's one comment from a LSU fan that I'll never forget. "He said that Iowa didn't even deserve to be on the same field as LSU" That made it so much sweeter when we smashed them and coach Saban! LSU 25 IOWA 30

that play at the end of the 05 Cap One Bowl has be the biggest roller coaster of emotions I have ever felt watching a game. I can't think of a better ending. that whole new years day, I kept re-playing that play over and over again and again. I felt so happy for Iowa and Warren Holloway especially. Holloway catching the only TD pass of his career on the very last play of his career, and the game winning TD too. Its now 10 years later and I still don't believe it. and the weird part is, I was at the 85 Mich game and I still consider the 05 cap One bowl the greatest replay of all time.

Last edited:
that play at the end of the 05 Cap One Bowl has be the biggest roller coaster of emotions I have ever felt watching a game. I can't think of a better ending. that whole new years day, I kept re-playing that play over and over again and again. I felt so happy for Iowa and Warren Holloway especially. Holloway catching the only TD pass of his career on the very last play of his career, and the game winning TD too. Its now 10 years later and I still don't believe it. and the weird part is, I was at the 85 Mich game and I still consider the 05 cap One bowl the greatest replay of all time.

That play still gives me chills when I see it, I went from fury to elation. That said, when I now watch the last 6 minutes of that game, given what I've seen a few too many times since, little did we know at the time we were watching clock and play management that would cause so much pain to Hawkeye faithful. God bless you Drew Tate and Warren Holloway. F U Saban.

It was so incredible.

That play still gives me chills when I see it, I went from fury to elation. That said, when I now watch the last 6 minutes of that game, given what I've seen a few too many times since, little did we know at the time we were watching clock and play management that would cause so much pain to Hawkeye faithful. God bless you Drew Tate and Warren Holloway. F U Saban.

It was so incredible.

Yeah it was amazing. I was in the student section for that game (opposite endzone) but you could see the whole play develop. When the LSU defender broke off Holloway and and he turned toward the middle of the field, there was nobody within 30 yards of him. Both me and my buddy noticed it and gasped at the same time. Fortunately Tate noticed it as well and the rest is history. I've never been a part of a celebration like that before. We fell down 2 rows of bleachers, I was hugging people I didn't even know...absolute insanity. I just love watching the replay of that game because it reminds me of how awesome that day was. It was the best moment of my life as a sports fan. Maybe someday it will be topped but nothing has come close as of yet.

I'm sure the Capital 1 game and 85 Michigan game will be the top two games mentioned on here with everything else being a distant 3rd. I know everyone likes those nail biters and come from behind wins and don't get me wrong I do too. But sometimes I enjoy just a good ole fashioned butt kicking like this one was. After this game Iowa was more then on the map. We were the bullies of the BIG and everybody else knew it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eI4jKk73Nxc

Personally, I have a soft spot for the 2003 Homecoming game against Michigan. I'm not trying to toot my own horn, but I was one Herky from 03-04. For this game and got to do the ride-out on the platform before the game and plant the Hawkeye flag on the 50 yard line and work the 4th quarter. Good times fellas...good times.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8D-bIwRwHc

The two games in 85 were memorable since I was there with my son,the field goal to win and Chuck's naked bootleg were great but the way we won the Cap one bowl in 05 was phenomenal. We drove to that game straight thru(never again)haha.

I recently transferred my 05 Capital one bowl game from vhs to dvd. Its without a doubt my all time favorite game. I watched it so much that my vhs tape was on its last legs. Lol. I can still watch it and get chill bumps. It was so sweet to see Saban and the mighty LSU fans with the look on their face like how in the hell did these big slow kids from Iowa win this game. I would have gave anything to see that LSU fan after the game that said we didn't deserve to be on the field with them. I'll admit that LSU had twice the talent and speed we did, but you can't measure Heart and our boys proved it that day.

For me it has to be the 2005 CapOne Bowl. That was just a hard-fought game that came down to the end. Nothing better than that. I don't really remember the 85 games, as I was only 10 and my parents didn't have much time available to watch games, they were pretty busy.

Plus, after the CapOne bowl, my aunt (who used to work for the University) gave me a DVD with all 3 broadcasts on it. The "official" broadcast, a broadcast with Dolph/Podolak dubbed in, and a broadcast with the LSU announcers dubbed in. It's fun to listen to the LSU version every now and then...

Also, I do like the 2009 Michigan game where Clayborn manhandled Tate Forcier and he was pretty much crying on the bench after DickRod yelled at him.

Tough to pick out one

1. Iowa v Mich 1985
2. Tate to Holloway Cap 1
3. Iowa v #8 Penn St 2008
4. Iowa v Mich St 2009 (would be higher if not for the low scoring 3 1/2 quarters)
etc etc etc

Last edited:
For me, it's the game that was played on November 8, 2008.

They just showed in on the BTN. It's my favorite Hawkeye game of All time.

THANK YOU Dan Murray, for drilling the Field goal with 5 seconds left.

IOWA 24 Penn State 23

go hawks.............IOWA...............The HAWKEYE state
The echo of that game may be mine... The 2009 PSU game was the game where I realized that the Hawks were going to have an amazing season. We had about 15 people over for a BBQ and I remember at half time some of our guests were saying it didn't look good for the Hawks. My wife's boss and I looked at each other and turned to gaggle of people on the couch and said in unison "What are you talking about? We have 'em right where we want 'em". We tag teamed and went on to say to them that after the TD on the opening play the Lions had only been able to muster a field goal the rest of the half. There was a lot of talk about "defense wins championships" and how great the D line was playing etc... Our house went ballistic when Clayborn returned the blocked punt for a TD and the lead. PSU was a huge favorite and the Hawks just went to work and won. I will never forget that game.

I have to go with the 85 IOWA-michigan game. From the week long pre-game hype of 1 verses 2 to a close game to Rob Houghtlin winning it at the very end and the Hawkeyes continuing to be ranked #1. It had it all. Pre-game, game, post game. Being ranked #1 was really special.

Latest posts