You can't be surprised?

longtimer

I posted several weeks ago that a source very very close to Foster said Iowa was not in his top 3 at the time. I would guess he has known for some time he was going to Iowa State and he kept Iowa in the mix for some reason. In any event good kid good player and good luck at Iowa State

Iowa program is pretty much done under McCaffrey. Probably a second division team this year with maybe a bottom 2 recruiting class coming in. Just isn't going to get it done at Iowa. I don';t think even getting Foster would have made the difference. Of course my conception of getting it done is "occasionally" being competitive at a championship level. If winning 18-20 games and finishing 6-10 in Big Ten with NIT appearance is the standard he has got a chance. I just hope it doesn't get ugly especially with 2 of his kids playing for him.

I’m not surprised in the least. This isn’t the first time we lost a prized recruit and probably won’t be the last. We aren’t even considered a blue blood, why should we expect more than we are. It’s nice when it happens, it just doesn’t happen all that often for us. Good luck to the kid.

I’m not surprised in the least. This isn’t the first time we lost a prized recruit and probably won’t be the last. We aren’t even considered a blue blood, why should we expect more than we are. It’s nice when it happens, it just doesn’t happen all that often for us. Good luck to the kid.

Except we can't typically even land the top in-state talent most of the time anymore, either.

If you can't even recruit your home state (except for the leftovers) then where CAN you recruit? I know we got Wieskamp but that seems to be the exception to the rule. Other than that, Fran really just isn't getting it done on the recruiting trail. That's a problem, to say the least, and it can't be allowed to continue. Read into that statement what you will.

Am I surprised in today's announcement? Not in the least. Still disappointed? Absolutely.

Except we can't typically even land the top in-state talent most of the time anymore, either.

If you can't even recruit your home state (except for the leftovers) then where CAN you recruit? I know we got Wieskamp but that seems to be the exception to the rule. Other than that, Fran really just isn't getting it done on the recruiting trail. That's a problem, to say the least, and it can't be allowed to continue. Read into that statement what you will.

Am I surprised in today's announcement? Not in the least. Still disappointed? Absolutely.

IMO its the lingering affects of the Lickliter era. When these kids were 6, 7, and 8 years old Iowa was horrible and Fran really hasn't gotten Iowa back to the level where Iowa kids are dreaming on playing basketball for the Hawkeyes. It's not THEE problem but I'd speculate it's part of the problem.

I posted several weeks ago that a source very very close to Foster said Iowa was not in his top 3 at the time. I would guess he has known for some time he was going to Iowa State and he kept Iowa in the mix for some reason. In any event good kid good player and good luck at Iowa State

Iowa program is pretty much done under McCaffrey. Probably a second division team this year with maybe a bottom 2 recruiting class coming in. Just isn't going to get it done at Iowa. I don';t think even getting Foster would have made the difference. Of course my conception of getting it done is "occasionally" being competitive at a championship level. If winning 18-20 games and finishing 6-10 in Big Ten with NIT appearance is the standard he has got a chance. I just hope it doesn't get ugly especially with 2 of his kids playing for him.

I am not surprised by Xavier at all. I am surprised at how stupid you are if you think Iowa wasn't in the top 3 for Xavier and that he made his pick weeks ago.

Last edited:
It really makes no difference to me where he goes...doesn’t affect me in any way, shape or form.

For his sake, I hope he made the right decision and does well.

Reactions: ISC
It really makes no difference to me where he goes...doesn’t affect me in any way, shape or form.

For his sake, I hope he made the right decision and does well. Personally, based on “inside” information that I will not disclose, I don’t think this is going to prove to be as big a loss to the Hawks as some fans think.

IMO its not necessarily the decision, its the optics of the decision. Fran put a lot of eggs into that basket and lost. Its not just a pattern anymore its an epidemic.

Its probably time to get after Nike to shell out some money to these kids to get them here. I mean we have new uniforms and everything...its really great!

I am not surprised by Xavier at all. I am surprised at how stupid you are if you think Iowa wasn't in the top 3 for Xavier and that he made his pick weeks ago.
Gee wiz Deanvogs I know you are disappointed but no need to get testy! I merely reported that several weeks ago someone very close who would know said when asked by a group of friends in a social setting what Iowa"s chances were his reply was Iowa was not in his top 3?
really if you look at it rationally why would Iowa be considered? At Iowa he would not be on a team that would battle for championships while at Iowa State he would. At Iowa he would not get the potential to make runs in the tournament while at Iowa State he would. At Iowa his chances to make it to the next level would be less than Iowa State. On top of all that the Iowa State fan base is far superior in support to the Iowa fan base.
It hurts me to say this but the program at Iowa State is light years ahead of Iowa He made the only decision possible

Gee wiz Deanvogs I know you are disappointed but no need to get testy! I merely reported that several weeks ago someone very close who would know said when asked by a group of friends in a social setting what Iowa"s chances were his reply was Iowa was not in his top 3?
really if you look at it rationally why would Iowa be considered? At Iowa he would not be on a team that would battle for championships while at Iowa State he would. At Iowa he would not get the potential to make runs in the tournament while at Iowa State he would. At Iowa his chances to make it to the next level would be less than Iowa State. On top of all that the Iowa State fan base is far superior in support to the Iowa fan base.
It hurts me to say this but the program at Iowa State is light years ahead of Iowa He made the only decision possible

So, this is not true?

You seriously didn't see or read anything the family said today? I mean geez, you couldn't be more wrong. This came down to Iowa and ISU, so Iowa was in the top 3.

There are many on other sites saying they are shocked because they had people close to the situation saying he was going to Iowa. Most ISU insiders felt Xavier was going there til this weekend, then they all backed off that as things looked like they changed, and even they felt he was going to Iowa as of this weekend.

If you really think this thing was decided 3 weeks ago, then I got a bridge to sell ya.

Light years ahead? More like a half step and closing. One thing I will say is your fans give you an awesome setting to play in at home and in the conference tournament. If iowa could somehow trade home court atmospheres and conference tournament atmospheres with ISU, we would probably be half a step ahead of you. If we had "Carver Magic" we probably tie for a conference title a few years ago. We were that close.

IMO its the lingering affects of the Lickliter era. When these kids were 6, 7, and 8 years old Iowa was horrible and Fran really hasn't gotten Iowa back to the level where Iowa kids are dreaming on playing basketball for the Hawkeyes. It's not THEE problem but I'd speculate it's part of the problem.

Good point. A 17-18 year old kid.. Yeah, when they were growing up was about when Lickliter was our coach. Doesn't seem like it's been that long, but it has.

Man, I'm starting to feel old. Even the Alford era is probably starting to become irrelevant to these kids. And Tom Davis? Forget it. That's about like what the Ralph Miller days are to me. All before my time.

Last edited:
So, this is not true?

sorry I ever reported what I heard But I can tell you it was not from a unreliable source which I would not make public on this site. I guess I should not have ever reported it I don't doubt their were final talks within the family. I guess it is a done deal so we can move on. Rob if you have doubts of credibility I would be glad to let you know confidentially. I am not prone to posting crazy rumors!!

sorry I ever reported what I heard But I can tell you it was not from a unreliable source which I would not make public on this site. I guess I should not have ever reported it I don't doubt their were final talks within the family. I guess it is a done deal so we can move on. Rob if you have doubts of credibility I would be glad to let you know confidentially. I am not prone to posting crazy rumors!!

Then why did you? There is proof that whatever you heard was flat out wrong!

Nobody is questioning you or your source per say. I'm sure they told you that he was going to ISU. I'm just saying there is also plenty or reliable information that Xavier was still undecided heading into this weekend.

Wait a minute. Didn’t you know it’s an automatic that any player that didn’t pick iowa, we were automatically his second choice and came within inches of landing him. And the only reason we never do is because the competition cheated somehow. We were runners up on: jr reid, laphonso ellis, carton, lafrentz, any guard that has ever gone to Kentucky or Michigan st that we’ve ever sent as much as a letter to and the list goes on and on for miles. It sure couldn’t possibly be that red race or bazooka joe can’t recruit.

Wait a minute. Didn’t you know it’s an automatic that any player that didn’t pick iowa, we were automatically his second choice and came within inches of landing him. And the only reason we never do is because the competition cheated somehow. We were runners up on: jr reid, laphonso ellis, carton, lafrentz, any guard that has ever gone to Kentucky or Michigan st that we’ve ever sent as much as a letter to and the list goes on and on for miles. It sure couldn’t possibly be that red race or bazooka joe can’t recruit.
The killer was Isiah Thomas. And the only reason Knight got involved in the first place was because he had a drug problem on his team early in the 1978-79 season and had to bounce both his point guards. Mary Thomas loved Lute and the Iowa campus and was close friends with Nadine Lester. But Lute got the Susan Lucci treatment on that one.

Others where we were the bridesmaid:

Doc Rivers
Joe Barry Carroll
Russell Cross
Joe Wolf
Deon Thomas
Tom Kleinschmidt
Sam Okey (when it counted)
Chris Collins
Tony Carr

I really don't think Fran coached Tyler Cook with an NBA career in mind. Fran seems to be pretty good at what he does, but he also appears to be 1 dimensional. He doesn't appear to be very imaginative.