X and O question

NCHawker

This is for the coaches out there....

Tell me what the implications to Iowa are with Wisconsin playing a 3-4 defense. I'll hang up and listen.

NCH

I wouldn't recommend that, they let you use 11 players on defense so if you are playing a 3-4 you are only using 7 guys. Seems silly to me but I'm no expert.

Considering we have less than average LB's to start with adding one more probably isn't the prudent choice. We would be better served going 5-2 since our DL at least are average. It's not a great scenario either way but when we are what we are, what are you gonna do. We need to recruit better players to play a base D and expect them to stop above average teams.

Considering we have less than average LB's to start with adding one more probably isn't the prudent choice. We would be better served going 5-2 since our DL at least are average. It's not a great scenario either way but when we are what we are, what are you gonna do. We need to recruit better players to play a base D and expect them to stop above average teams.
I would agree with this. The problem with a 5-2 is once Gordon gets a seam, he is at the second level in a hurry. We need to put 9 in the box, put the corners on an island and take our chances against the deep ball. It will take our best defensive effort of the year to hold him to 150 or below.

Tell me what the implications to Iowa are with Wisconsin playing a 3-4 defense. I'll hang up and listen.

NCH

The 3-4 would allow different run blitzes from to different gaps. If Gordon hits the hole and makes it to the seconday he will be running like Bo Jackson to the tunnel. You have to get him early and often or else it is going to be a long day.

read it again... I'm asking about Wisconsin's Defense.

I wouldn't recommend that, they let you use 11 players on defense so if you are playing a 3-4 you are only using 7 guys. Seems silly to me but I'm no expert.

well played...a page out of my humor book there.

Last edited:
3-4 makes running the ball outside more difficult. Since Iowa relies a lot on running and throwing the ball to the outside you could see how that may be a problem. It also opens up the defense so they can blitz more, and we all know how JR does with pressure.

If Iowa can get some movement in the middle though, they could rack up some good yardage.

NCH

The 3-4 creates more defensive flexibility without substituting your base defense. By have 4 LBs on the field you can adjust to spread offenses, zone blitz, and and bring different pressure packages more easily than in the 4-3. You also have more speed on the field. And some people think its easier to find explosive LBs than DL. Good 4-3 DE's are explosive, quick-twitch guys. As you might notice, we have a heck of a time recruiting players with high-end athleticism and 4-3 DE frame and therefore play Mike Hardy and Nate Meier.

The drawback is you need a good NG, really all three of your down lineman need to be able to control gaps. If our guards can move Wisconsin's NG off the ball with any consistency we should be able to run inside zone for yards. It might be worth looking more at some power schemes. If we can run a some power schemes behind Scherff we should get movement. You also have some jack-of-trades, masters of none defenders out there. OLB need to be able to pass rush and drop into coverage. Probably easier to blow coverage/assignments depending on the complexity.

It's impressive that Wisconsin has been able to overhaul their front 7 without missing a beat.

A 3-4 run at the college level is rare, but Wisconsin is one of those teams that do run it. One of the biggest things with a 3-4 is it keeps the Offense guessing on where will the 4th rush will come from and it becomes a never ending game of finding that guy. The impact on a QB can be big can cause forced or rush throws. The blitzes also will force the offense into keeping a TE and RB into block instead of sending them out into a pass pattern. It will impact Iowa will be up to GD to counter that. Will be interesting to watch this game Saturday..

This is a great question NCHawker! Very nice, Thumbs up!

As someone with lots of love for Iowa Football, but lesser knowledge regarding Xs and Os (beyond JV HS FB and PS3), I wish more folks would post questions like this. Thanks, NCHawker and fellow posters. For once in a long time, I'm leaving my HN browsing smarter than when I entered.

The 3-4 creates more defensive flexibility without substituting your base defense. By have 4 LBs on the field you can adjust to spread offenses, zone blitz, and and bring different pressure packages more easily than in the 4-3. You also have more speed on the field. And some people think its easier to find explosive LBs than DL. Good 4-3 DE's are explosive, quick-twitch guys. As you might notice, we have a heck of a time recruiting players with high-end athleticism and 4-3 DE frame and therefore play Mike Hardy and Nate Meier.

The drawback is you need a good NG, really all three of your down lineman need to be able to control gaps. If our guards can move Wisconsin's NG off the ball with any consistency we should be able to run inside zone for yards. It might be worth looking more at some power schemes. If we can run a some power schemes behind Scherff we should get movement. You also have some jack-of-trades, masters of none defenders out there. OLB need to be able to pass rush and drop into coverage. Probably easier to blow coverage/assignments depending on the complexity.

It's impressive that Wisconsin has been able to overhaul their front 7 without missing a beat.

Recently yes but for about 10-11 years straight %90 of our starting defensive lineman ended up in the pros and the few that didn't were like Mitch King, Lubke and Howard Hodges so still really good.

Our recruiting has taken a nose dive since screwing the pooch in 2010.

NCH

* 3 DL need to be large humans, capable of eating up blockers while being 2 gap players
* Already been touched on, but does a better job of disguising where rushers are coming from in pass game
* OLB's are going to be great athletes, capable of both bringing pressure, playing the run, and defending against the pass
* To keep ILB's unexposed, offers some flexibility with stunts and pressures to disallow offensive guards to free release to 2nd level...allows ILB's to play downhill
* The base 3-4 really lends itself to a good inside trap game, but I don't remember the last time we ran one of those.
* Of the plays we run, outside zone lead to weak side would theoretically be our best play:

..........................J......M
................W...E......N......E....S
......................T..G..C..G..T..Y
..............................Q
..............................F
..............................T

LT and LG zone DE to (J)ack LB, C and RG zone NG to Mike, Cut/slip for RT and Y, F leads on (W)ill LB, (T)ailback hits first seam and goes. Have to get that first level blocked though, or else the rest doesn't matter...

This formation is still going to have their run fits, still going to be able to play some games up front to disguise rush/blitzes, and is still just as fundamentally sound as a 4-3.

Latest posts