WOW! Hawaii coach fired after posting 34-56 record over three seasons!

HawkeyeRyno

Banned
Hawaii Warriors fire Bob Nash after 34-56 mark in three years - ESPN

This sounds eerily similar but with a different end result. Hawaii has higher expectations than us...HAWAII!!! Hawaii fires coach after 3 years and a 34-56 record. Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't these numbers identical to Lickliter????!!!! Lickliter has posted a 38-56 record over 3 years. Almost identical numbers as Hawaii but Barta is excited about the future and sees progress. Perhaps the Hawaii AD should knock some sense into Barta. I'm pretty sure Hawaii has far less history than Iowa. Maybe I'm wrong here but if Hawaii isn't accepting this lack of success then why is Iowa??? For all the Lick supporters who say "3 years isn't long enough" or "give him more time" then explain why a less traditional program with strangely similar situations isn't "giving him more time?" The results and circumstances are eerily similar but with a much different outlook...

HONOLULU -- Bob Nash was fired as coach of the University of Hawaii's men's basketball team on Monday after posting a 34-56 record over three seasons.

"This was a very tough decision," athletic director Jim Donovan said in a statement. "No person has shown more dedication to UH basketball than Bob Nash."

Nash was a member of the "Fabulous Five," a group of UH basketball players during the 1970-71 and 1971-72 seasons that led the team to a 47-8 record. They made the postseason twice, including the school's first NCAA tournament appearance.

He became head coach in 2007 after 23 seasons as an assistant coach, replacing Riley Wallace, who retired after 20 years at Hawaii and making his mark as the school's winningest coach with 334 victories.

As the program's 18th head coach, however, Nash was unable to steer his teams onto a consistently victorious path. His first season ended with an 11-19 mark, including upset wins over New Mexico State and Utah State. The team finished Nash's second season with a 13-17 mark.

This season, Nash compiled a 10-20 record overall, 3-13 in the Western Athletic Conference. The team was hampered by injuries or other maladies. Each of its 11 scholarship players missed either practice or game time due to an injury, illness or suspension.

Last year, he recruited junior college All-American Roderick Flemings, who recently was selected as an honorable mention on the all-Western Athletic Conference team.

"Ultimately this comes to a business decision based on win-loss record, not Bob Nash's character or how well he performed in other aspects of the program," Donovan said.

A national search for a new coach will begin immediately, Donovan added.
The university will have to pay Nash approximately $240,000 to buy out the one year remaining on his contract.

Donovan said he has received $100,000 from anonymous sources to help mitigate that cost, adding that he intends to raise more to cover the remaining amount.

Junior point guard Hiram Thompson, the only starting player eligible to return next season, said he would prefer to play for Nash.

"We have a good relationship and I know what to expect from him," Thompson told The Honolulu Advertiser. "There's definitely a bright future for next year with the personnel we have coming in."

Hawaii Warriors fire Bob Nash after 34-56 mark in three years - ESPN

This sounds eerily similar but with a different end result. Hawaii has higher expectations than us...HAWAII!!! Hawaii fires coach after 3 years and a 34-56 record. Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't these numbers identical to Lickliter????!!!! Lickliter has posted a 38-56 record over 3 years. Almost identical numbers as Hawaii but Barta is excited about the future and sees progress. Perhaps the Hawaii AD should knock some sense into Barta. I'm pretty sure Hawaii has far less history than Iowa. Maybe I'm wrong here but if Hawaii isn't accepting this lack of success then why is Iowa??? For all the Lick supporters who say "3 years isn't long enough" or "give him more time" then explain why a less traditional program with strangely similar situations isn't "giving him more time?" The results and circumstances are eerily similar but with a much different outlook...

HONOLULU -- Bob Nash was fired as coach of the University of Hawaii's men's basketball team on Monday after posting a 34-56 record over three seasons.

"This was a very tough decision," athletic director Jim Donovan said in a statement. "No person has shown more dedication to UH basketball than Bob Nash."

Nash was a member of the "Fabulous Five," a group of UH basketball players during the 1970-71 and 1971-72 seasons that led the team to a 47-8 record. They made the postseason twice, including the school's first NCAA tournament appearance.

He became head coach in 2007 after 23 seasons as an assistant coach, replacing Riley Wallace, who retired after 20 years at Hawaii and making his mark as the school's winningest coach with 334 victories.

As the program's 18th head coach, however, Nash was unable to steer his teams onto a consistently victorious path. His first season ended with an 11-19 mark, including upset wins over New Mexico State and Utah State. The team finished Nash's second season with a 13-17 mark.

This season, Nash compiled a 10-20 record overall, 3-13 in the Western Athletic Conference. The team was hampered by injuries or other maladies. Each of its 11 scholarship players missed either practice or game time due to an injury, illness or suspension.

Last year, he recruited junior college All-American Roderick Flemings, who recently was selected as an honorable mention on the all-Western Athletic Conference team.

"Ultimately this comes to a business decision based on win-loss record, not Bob Nash's character or how well he performed in other aspects of the program," Donovan said.

A national search for a new coach will begin immediately, Donovan added.
The university will have to pay Nash approximately $240,000 to buy out the one year remaining on his contract.

Donovan said he has received $100,000 from anonymous sources to help mitigate that cost, adding that he intends to raise more to cover the remaining amount.

Junior point guard Hiram Thompson, the only starting player eligible to return next season, said he would prefer to play for Nash.

"We have a good relationship and I know what to expect from him," Thompson told The Honolulu Advertiser. "There's definitely a bright future for next year with the personnel we have coming in."

Lick may be let go, but can we wait for the season to end? Some of you people just can't leave enough alone. We have a week left in the season, and then why don't we see how it all plays out?

Hawaii buyout: $240,000 ($240K/yr @ 1 year)
Iowa buyout: $2.4 million ($600K/yr @ 4 years)

If Lickliter only had one year left on his contract, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

The buyout is irrelevant. Hawaii doesn't have the stream of cash flowing in from the Big Ten Network either. Isn't it like 7 million per school? That cancels out any buyout problems.

The buyout is irrelevant. Hawaii doesn't have the stream of cash flowing in from the Big Ten Network either. Isn't it like 7 million per school? That cancels out any buyout problems.

If that canceled out any buyout problems, we would have been able to afford to pay a coach $1.8 million per year instead of $1.2 million.

Actually licks record is 38-57. (13-19),(15-17),(10-21).

The buyout is a problem,I guess. The record is a bigger problem,imo.

Lick may be let go, but can we wait for the season to end? Some of you people just can't leave enough alone. We have a week left in the season, and then why don't we see how it all plays out?

You just answered your own question, there is only a week left, it has been played out and the results are in...

Yes, but Hawaii belongs to the WAC and they expect more from their bb team and Hawaii didn't have a COY.

The biggest difference is that because Nash was an assistant at Hawaii prior to being named head coach he likely continued with the same philosophy Wallace had used the previous 20 years.

The transition should have gone a lot more smoothly for Hawaii than Iowa, a program bringing in an outside coach with a completely different style of play.

If anything this story could be used to show Lickliter should be given another year. If Hawaii gave their coach three years and didn't change anything in their program other than the person at the helm, then Iowa, who completely changed direction should give their guy at least 4 years.

This is a reason to give Lick another year? Complete spin. Alford did have a winning season his last year and each year Lick has coached our record has gotten worse. No college basketball coach needs more than 3 years to win. How many coaches have had losing records there first 3 years, then turned it around the 4th. I doubt you can come up with even one example but even if you can, the percentage is extremely low. It just doesn't happen.

As far as the buyout, it really isn't an issue, but look at it this way: we save $600,000 for each year we terminate Lick early. There are plenty of young coaches who can be had for $600,000 a year. Heck, Frank Martin was just name Big Twelve coach of the year and he only gets paid $250,000 yearly.

I would imagine the U of I has lost more in ticket sales, merchandise sales, concessions, ads, etc. than $600k per year with this abysmal of a basketball team.

That being said, I think Lick should get one more year to prove himself and if he can get the team to .500 or better next year he should get another year after that. Once the new practice faucilities are done and he's had some players with some tenure he should have the ship going in the right direction. If not, get rid of him.

Latest posts