Would rather see Hawks lose the National Championship Game

BQuastU

...then the Bears [insert favorite pro team] WIN the Super Bowl. Anybody else agree? In other words, if you had to choose between Iowa getting to but losing the NC game and your favorite pro team winning the championship (Super Bowl, etc.) what would you rather see?

The Cubs may be an exception, though I would still prefer a NC game win over a Cubs World Series - but its close.

Like Jon and Steve say, there are no moral victories.

Give me an Orange Bowl win against Georgia Tech any day.

Achievement and moral victory are two very different concepts. Reaching the NC game would be an achievement - albeit a step short of the ultimate achievement.

IOWA>any team. Pretty obvious choice. As for Iowa losing a National Championship????? That's a pretty lame question. If Iowa does make it to a championship game, why even think about them losing?

I think the question is would you rather see them make it to the NCG and lose or win a lesser BCS bowl.

Obviously winning the NCG would be the first choice so that doesn't provide any sort of room for intellectual debate.

Personally I think the next step for the team would be a NCG appearance so between the choices I would pick a loss in the NCG to set us up for a win the following year :)

1 (tie) Iowa wins NC in FB or MBB
2 Cubs win WS
3 Bears win SB
4 Iowa loses NC game in FB
5 Iowa makes Final Four in MBB

I don't understand this at all...

No one remembers the losers of the national championship game, so of course I would rather have the Colts WIN the Superbowl than the Hawkeyes LOSE the national championship...I would hate getting to the national championship and losing

The last game you play is always on your mind for the rest of your life.Getting beat isn't an option regardless what game it is.Winning your last game you play means everything to you and your team mates and I don't care what Bowl game it is or if it means beating Minn. and staying home for the Bowls.

What if Iowa was playing Ditka in the NC game? Who would you want to win?

Regular Ditka or Mini Ditka?

Either way, I'll always take one of my favorite teams winning their respective championship over another one losing theirs. But I would definitely take the Hawks winning a NC over the Bears or Cubs winning the SB or WS.

This is a Hawkeye Board right? Does Iowa have an NFL that I am not aware of? I don't get it. You are seriously telling me that you would rather watch your NFL team win the Super Bowl instead of watching Iowa in a National Championship game? You are disappointing, my friends. A NC appearance would be HUGE for Iowa!

I would rather watch Iowa lose the Orange Bowl than watch my NFL team win the NC.

What if Iowa was playing Ditka in the NC game? Who would you want to win?
How about 11 little midget ditkas against Iowa? How bout that one. How about if Al Bell was the coach.....(anyone not from Iowa and under 45 years old will not get the Al Bell comment)

while it would've been pretty cool to see the raiders win the 2003 superbowl (man, that doesn't even sound right seeing how crappy they are now), I'll take a hawks NC game appearance any day of the week.

I don't understand this at all...

No one remembers the losers of the national championship game, so of course I would rather have the Colts WIN the Superbowl than the Hawkeyes LOSE the national championship...I would hate getting to the national championship and losing

see, I totally disagree with this sentiment.

As a fan I can look back on my teams best years with fondness, even if they fall short of the ultimate prize.

Just think of how often Tom Davis' first team in '87 is cited as a favorite and they didn't even make the Final 4.

Or the '05-'06 team of Alford, they looked like a team that could do damage in the tourney, but got upset by Northwestern State. If you were a Steeler fan, would you trade in the 5th title they had won a couple months earlier for a chance for that Hawkeye team to make the Final 4?

For me it's pretty easy: I don't have any huge pro sports allegiances right now. I don't really like the NFL team I grew up loving (Cowboys) anymore. And the teams I cheer for now Packers, and teams with former Hawkeyes on them- I would gladly trade a championship for them for any Hawkeye win.
The only thing I wouldn't want is to make a NC and get the Buckeye treatment and lose in embarassing fashion. I could handle a competitive loss; I could even hand a blowout loss if the team had won its way to the title game thru a playoff series, but if they were one of the 2 teams to play for the title in the current BCS system and got blown out it would be pretty to handle. There would be lots of haters out there.

Latest posts