Wisconsin running backs....

HawkForce

Has any other school in the history of man had more RB's seem to be amazing and then leave early because they felt they were being replaced by a younger version and not do much in the NFL??
Off the top of my head:
1. Brian Calhoun
2. PJ Hill
3. John Clay
4. Montee Ball? (might make it in the NFL but still forgoing senior season...

All these guys skipped their senior year and didn't make any splash in the NFL...is it something in the attitude up in Madison "sorry we're going with the younger horse in the stable" or what?

images

yeah, probably not the appeal of an NFL contract...

Ball definitely isn't leaving because he feels like he's going to get replaced by White. You could make that case for Hill and Clay. But Ball's draft stock is soaring right now, and it won't get much higher if he stays. His situation is a little closer to Shonn Greene's than any of Wisky's previous backs.

Include Ron Dayne is this discussion. He didnt leave early but he was close to an NFL bust. Wisconsin has huge offensive lines with great talent at the college level. When these rbs get to the NFL and their O-line isnt dominant them maybe it shows in their worse stats

I dont blame a rb for leaving college to go pro as early as they can because MOST of them only have so many carries in their legs. Thomas Jones is an anomoly. There are a lot of great NFL backs that boom just lose it from one season to the next.

Actually, I think Brad Rogers might be a hawk who can have a long term pro career if he gets on the right team. Good blocking fb who can catch the ball and carry it.

images

yeah, probably not the appeal of an NFL contract...

three of these guys never got a big NFL contract...they just decided to forgo their senior year. Ball will most likely get a big contract...but Hill, Calhoun, and Clay did not.

Montee Ball projects much better as an NFL prospect than any of the guys you mentioned. tm is correct, Ball would be an idiot if he chose to stay. After a season like he just had... he needs to go now. He won't gain anything by staying another year. It's not like he'd have a chance at making more money in next years draft. He's proven what he can do at the college level and it's been very impressive. This is coming from someone who hates the Badgers with a passion. I do think Montee Ball will have a solid NFL career if he stays healthy.

Montee Ball projects much better as an NFL prospect than any of the guys you mentioned. tm is correct, Ball would be an idiot if he chose to stay. After a season like he just had... he needs to go now. He won't gain anything by staying another year. It's not like he'd have a chance at making more money in next years draft. He's proven what he can do at the college level and it's been very impressive. This is coming from someone who hates the Badgers with a passion. I do think Montee Ball will have a solid NFL career if he stays healthy.

But that's what I'm confuseled about....none of them projected very well to the next level...so why not stay and try to finish up the degree?

Include Ron Dayne is this discussion. He didnt leave early but he was close to an NFL bust. Wisconsin has huge offensive lines with great talent at the college level. When these rbs get to the NFL and their O-line isnt dominant them maybe it shows in their worse stats

I dont blame a rb for leaving college to go pro as early as they can because MOST of them only have so many carries in their legs. Thomas Jones is an anomoly. There are a lot of great NFL backs that boom just lose it from one season to the next.

Actually, I think Brad Rogers might be a hawk who can have a long term pro career if he gets on the right team. Good blocking fb who can catch the ball and carry it.

Speaking of Wisconsin's OL, I heard a stat the other day where the average size of their OL is larger than all but two NFL teams. The Chargers and someone else, just can't remember. That's crazy.

I see what you're saying now HawkForce. I don't know I guess it's been awhile so I'm not real familiar with their individual situations. I just know that Ball didn't leave because he was afraid a younger guy would take his spot. He'll leave because now is by far the best time for him to go.

As far as the other guys go... you're probably right regarding their potential in the NFL. I know PJ Hill, Ron Dayne, and Clay were just all too big and slow to be productive players in the NFL. That kind of size just doesn't succeed at the highest level. I'd say Brandon Jacobs is comparible to them, but he's much more explosive. I wouldn't even consider Jacobs to be a consistent every down NFL running back. He's a situational guy. When he is able to get his momentum going I'd hate to be the linebacker or DB who has to tackle him.

What the heck is a "system" RB? Running the ball is not a real technical scheme. You can either run it or u can't

Same thing as a system QB. Of course a running game can be as schematic as a passing game. It has to do with the size of their OL and how often they pull their guards and center. It's how they focus so much on developing the push of their OL in run support at the expense of the developing the great footwork of great pass protect OL. It has to do with running more often instead of having a balanced offense, which wears down an opposing DL more quickly, and gives more carries to the RBs.

Guess I didn't realize the size of your O line and the push they get was schematic. I don't think this "scheme" has anything to do with not being successful at the next level. And going by your logic these guys should be pro bowl backs considering the size and push NFL linemen should get :)

Guess I didn't realize the size of your O line and the push they get was schematic. I don't think this "scheme" has anything to do with not being successful at the next level. And going by your logic these guys should be pro bowl backs considering the size and push NFL linemen should get :)

It's not so much a schematic system as it's often elite NFL talent up front masking often mediocre NFL talent in the backfield. I think Ball is the real deal, but many of Wisconsin's backs were never very good NFL prospects. They were great college backs because they benefited from an elite line. That's a perfect system for a running back, even if it's got nothing to do with schemes.

I think it's important to recognize that Calhoun, Hill, and Clay were all 4th year juniors when they jumped to the pros. Hill and Clay were redshirted and Calhoun transferred from Colorado. Clay had already turned 23 when he was drafted. Hill had already turned 22, and Calhoun was just two weeks shy of his 22nd birthday when he was drafted. It's the same reason that played a huge part in Shonn Greene (he was 24 before he played his first regular season NFL game) and Tyler Sash (he turned 23 in May of this year) leaving Iowa. It will probably be a huge part of Riley Reiff's decision to stay or go. Reiff turned 23 already; if he stays for his senior year, he will turn 25 during his rookie year in the league.

I think it's important to recognize that Calhoun, Hill, and Clay were all 4th year juniors when they jumped to the pros. Hill and Clay were redshirted and Calhoun transferred from Colorado. Clay had already turned 23 when he was drafted. Hill had already turned 22, and Calhoun was just two weeks shy of his 22nd birthday when he was drafted. It's the same reason that played a huge part in Shonn Greene (he was 24 before he played his first regular season NFL game) and Tyler Sash (he turned 23 in May of this year) leaving Iowa. It will probably be a huge part of Riley Reiff's decision to stay or go. Reiff turned 23 already; if he stays for his senior year, he will turn 25 during his rookie year in the league.
True I guess, I think it would be interesting to see if they all graduated in their 4 years. I mean I guess if you graduated why not leave early.

Latest posts