Wins vs BCS Top 25

JonDMiller

Publisher/Founder
Florida: 1 (May play another in SEC title game, but none on reg season sched)
Texas: 2 (no more on the schedule)
Alabama: 1 (hosts LSU this weekend, possible SEC title game)
Cincy: 1 (one more on the schedule)
Boise State: 1 (no more on schedule)
TCU: 1 (one more on schedule)

Iowa: 3, two on the road (one more on schedule, at Ohio State)

If you want to have 4 teams we have beat remain in the top 25 at the end of the year along with an undefeated Iowa team, you then will want OSU to beat PSU this weekend.

If you want to have 4 teams we have beat remain in the top 25 at the end of the year along with an undefeated Iowa team, you then will want OSU to beat PSU this weekend.

Or if you want an easier road for at least an Iowa share of the Big 10 title you want PSU to beat OSU this weekend. Sadly the poll voters don't think enough to consider how many top 25 teams Iowa has beat this year. They will always point to the UNI and Ark St games......

I love this stat, Jon. While I don't necessarily think it means we should be in the top 2, I think it definitely legitimizes where we are right now. #4. I'm fine with that.
________
AnitaLX live

Last edited:
I see a PSU beatdown of OSU coming unfortunately, as far having 4 teams we beat in the top 25. However, even if we beat OSU when they are 7-3, the computers will still like that and keep liking us, even if the voters arent as impressed. Plus if we are 11-0, the odds of there still being seven undefeated teams at that time keeps decreasing, which increases our odds of moving up in polls.

I see a PSU beatdown of OSU coming unfortunately, as far having 4 teams we beat in the top 25. However, even if we beat OSU when they are 7-3, the computers will still like that and keep liking us, even if the voters arent as impressed. Plus if we are 11-0, the odds of there still being seven undefeated teams at that time keeps decreasing, which increases our odds of moving up in polls.

I'd have to disagree with the PSU beatdown. I think saturdays game is going to turn out very similar to last years game in columbus. hard hitting, low scoring, defensive dominated game, which is just what we as iowa fans should want. i put a lot of emphasis last year on iowa's win over penn st. to the fact that penn st. had just finished an absolute dog fight with penn st. the week before, on the road. penn st. has not played a defensive team of ohio st's caliber since the iowa game. ohio st scheduled new mexico st at the perfect time, allowing there offense to have momentum, and it gave pryor a pick me up before there brutal three game stretch to end the season. i think 16-13 penn st wins, but this will be a physical game.

Jon, great stat. unfortunately the computers are the only ones that have realized it. On a sidebar, a penn st win is not only good for iowa, but the big ten as a whole. a win this week by penn st. should put them in the forefront for at least an at-large BCS bowl game. Thats a big payday for the supposedly over rated Big Ten. Tough to keep them out, even with the conference bowl record as of late.

Last edited:
I would think the computers would like Iowa beeing PSU's only loss and then giving OSU a 4th loss just as much as it would Iowa beating a 2 (total loss) PSU team and a being OSU's 3rd loss. Seems like a wash to me.

If OSU plays PSU close, they will still be rated after a loss. Then even if Iowa beats them, if they beat Michigan to finish 8-4...they will probably hang on as a #24 or #25. Their losses will be vs USC,Iowa PSU...all topten..and then PU..

Not only top 25, but how many of Iowa's opponents are going to be bowl eligible? Possibly 10? Arky St is the only one that I would say is definately not going to make it as they are 2-5 right now. And of course UNI, but they could possibly still make the FCS playoffs.

Latest posts