Winiston's insurance policy

NCHawker

How do you feel about the University "student assistant fund" paying part of the premium?

http://espn.go.com/college-football...ston-insurance-policy-paid-part-florida-state

The NCAA's website states the Student Assistant Fund "shall be used to assist student-athletes in meeting financial needs that arise in conjunction with participation in intercollegiate athletics, enrollment in an academic curriculum or that recognize academic achievement." The website adds the responsibility of the oversight and administration of funds, including interpretations of how the fund can be used, lies with the conferences.

I thought this was the girl they kept in the next room in case the first one doesn't want to do the jameis.

Did Iowa pay for Scherff's policy?

INSURANCE PLAN: After making the decision to return for his senior season, Iowa offensive tackle Brandon Scherff has purchased an insurance policy to protect his potential earnings this season.
The NCAA offers policies ranging between $1 million and $5 million that pay off if the athlete suffers a career-ending injury. Scherff said he paid $8,000 for a $1 million policy.
“The hope is that it doesn’t get used,’’ Scherff said. “But, it seemed to be the smart thing to do. They offer different levels, but I didn’t really want a real big policy, just something in case.’’

But in line with an NCAA rule that some schools might not even be aware of, UW paid for an insurance policy that will protect Melvin Gordon should he be injured this season.
UW athletic director Barry Alvarez confirmed Monday that Gordon’s insurance premiums were paid by UW out of its Student Opportunity Fund. Per NCAA mandate, each school has such an assistance fund for student-athletes that can be used at the school’s discretion to cover, say, post-eligibility financial aid or the cost of a student-athlete traveling home in the event of an emergency.
Alvarez said Gordon’s insurance cost the school “in the range” of $27,000 to $28,000 for the upcoming season.
“We do a lot with that SOF Fund as far as helping student-athletes, as all schools do,” Alvarez said.

Read more: http://host.madison.com/sports/coll...a78-5ae5-b02f-33825250f9b2.html#ixzz39XIDaWqi

I'm really confused how that can be a permissible benefit.... Can any and every kid do that then? If it's a loan that they have to pay back at an interest rate that makes the school more money (wink wink nod nod) then that's one thing. But how are the schools able to just offer that for free? Are they all the same? I mean can little ole Iowa offer the same policy for the same rates that Texas can offer their kids? It seems like a pandoras box to me. That would be a huge recruiting pitch. If Iowa can't offer a 4 or 5 star kid the same ins that OSU can........

So Gordon got his paid for and Scherff did not? Also, by fees paid it appears Gordon got the Cadillac policy.