Willie Lowe 'not going to play football' next year

tweeterhawk

As noted in other threads Ferentz provided several updates on players (Robinson, Coe, Heiar) yesterday, including the fact that rhabdo patient Willie Lowe is not going to play football next season.

“My understanding is that Willie is going to stay in school, but he’s not going to play,â€￾ Ferentz said Tuesday. “He really didn’t want to play.â€￾

Very interesting. A comment on the Gazette site speculates he got freaked out.

I'm guessing this means Lowe is off the team and that scholarship is freed up.

Wishing Willie well.

Ferentz on ARob: ‘He won’t be with us’ | TheGazette

Pretty sure Ferentz has a practice of allowing players who quit for injury reasons to stay on scholarship. I would expect this would apply to Lowe. Plus, pulling his scholarship would be a horrible PR move.

No way he isn’t still on scholarship.....they have never pulled a scholly from a kid who was injured and I'm not 100% sure they pull it from a kid who quits in good standing. I read something suggesting Ferguson was still on scholly and we know A-rob was even after being "kicked" off the team. Yes I agree on the PR stuff, but this staff has pretty much proven itself to be above board and empathetic time and time again, so I’m not sure they’d make this decision based on what looks good, but rather what IS good! There is a difference…

Chad

Bigger ? is what about Greg Castillo, the way I understand it Lowery passed them both up anyway. Now if he passed up Lowe because of illness, ok. But he also passed up Castillo, was he just better or what?

Bigger ? is what about Greg Castillo, the way I understand it Lowery passed them both up anyway. Now if he passed up Lowe because of illness, ok. But he also passed up Castillo, was he just better or what?

Willie Lowe was off the depth chart long before the Rhabdo, see the MN game when Prater went down and he also had no playing time in the Insight Bowl. Castillo is yet to show he has what it takes to successfully play as a Big 10 corner. Get used to hearing about Lowery - he is a remarkable athlete and a guy that can be a true cover corner.

Hyde to safety is a lot like Ballard to DT. The Hawks wanted to get their four best players on the field and, at the time, Binns was one. The same is true with the Hyde and Lowery move.

I believe he will remain on scholarship AND it will free one up. Per the David Barrent article a few weeks ago, players with career ending injuries can maintain a sort of "injury scholarship" that doesn't count against the 85 max.

I think I've also heard that this is a common ploy for schools that oversign: getting players to claim that they are injured and can no longer play. (Obviously, I'm not implicating Iowa in that.)

I would expect Lowe will have equivalent of a redshirt year, if he stays at Iowa. He could play again in 2012 if he wanted. His recovery seems to be slower than other players, for whatever reason.
Castillo is still listed as #1 CB ahead of Lowery in depth chart I saw. Not saying Lowery wont be #1 by September but he is not that far behind.
I think Ferguson may be on academic scholarship now. He may have been on football scholarship for Spring but pretty sure he will not have that status next year if he has truly left team.
Iowa is now at or around 81 scholarships, before KF gives out to walkons, so I dont think anyone will accuse him or running players off due to oversigning like many in SEC.

Good for him, I think he's got a strong case.

There are serious risks you take training and playing college football. I don't know if he has a case or not, but in my opinion I don't think the courts should fault the coaches or the university.

There are serious risks you take training and playing college football. I don't know if he has a case or not, but in my opinion I don't think the courts should fault the coaches or the university.

Any lawyer with a pulse can make a case for negligence here. I'd bet a lot of money this is settled out of court and kept relatively quiet.

I believe he will remain on scholarship AND it will free one up. Per the David Barrent article a few weeks ago, players with career ending injuries can maintain a sort of "injury scholarship" that doesn't count against the 85 max.

I think I've also heard that this is a common ploy for schools that oversign: getting players to claim that they are injured and can no longer play. (Obviously, I'm not implicating Iowa in that.)

This is absolutely true. Saban has pressured many players into a medical hardship, so that they stay on scholarship but cannot play football, while the team can grant someone else the schollie slot.

Any lawyer with a pulse can make a case for negligence here. I'd bet a lot of money this is settled out of court and kept relatively quiet.

Sure, they could state a case for negligence, but don't you think that D-1 programs make athletes sign dozens of pages of documents containing a waiver of claims against the school and its agents for negligence? How do you get around that?

Sure, they could state a case for negligence, but don't you think that D-1 programs make athletes sign dozens of pages of documents containing a waiver of claims against the school and its agents for negligence? How do you get around that?

That I couldn't tell ya.

I actually don’t think this will be the slam dunk negligence law suit victory for a player that others have been claiming. For negligence, you’d have to prove among other things that the university breached its duty of care to the student-athletes. A breach of a duty is usually when a duty-bound party failed act (take precautions, not do exercise, etc) as a reasonable person would in similar circumstances. The facts that rhabdo is rare and hard to predict, coupled with the fact that the exercise in question had been done multiple times before with no ill effects, in my opinion, would make it quite difficult to prove that university breached its duty to the players and should have done things differently.

I’m an attorney so I’m always interested in seeing how these things turn out on the legal end.

Absolutely headed towards a negotiated settlement, if in fact Lowe is contemplating action against the program/university.

I could see some sort of agreement/settlement that would allow Lowe to maintain his scholarship and finish school and get a degree without playing football. That may have been something they already worked out too. He can stay at Iowa get his education and living paid for by the school and earn his degree without actually playing football ever again.
It would be like getting $25k or more (2 or 3 years left in school) as a settlement.

Latest posts