• Yes

Votes: 3 8.1%
  • No

Votes: 34 91.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I

Ian Pike Hammer

With no outside shot, I don't think he will. Big mistake leaving Iowa, unless he'll be satisfied with playing overseas.

I hate to admit it, but I just don't think so. Hopefully, he will find a place to make good $$ and be happy.

I really hope so, but if not maybe he will receive a tryout with some team. It must be hard for him to watch his High School teammate, Jayson Tatum doing so well with the Boston Celtics. You got to follow your dream sometimes. Good Luck Tyler.

Not being drafted isn't the end of the world. Only 60 players are selected each year.

Here's a list of guys who didn't get drafted in 2018 but saw action in the NBA this season.

Screen Shot 2019-04-13 at 8.32.04 PM.png

Drafted? No. But he could play in the NBA. He just needs to be really special in at least one area. If he devoted himself to be a dominant rebounder, he would be a better, more dynamic version of Reggie Evans.

D League, a little interest for some nice slams by one or two teams, then off to see the world making much more than a college graduate. For a few years. He'll play as long as his "hops" last. Will make more than most of us will ever make doing something he loves. Can't beat that.

You are not very realistic are you, Mr. Cook? You can dunk yes, but you are far to poor a shooter to think you can make it in the NBA. ;)

With no outside shot, I don't think he will. Big mistake leaving Iowa, unless he'll be satisfied with playing overseas.

Ok so I am one of the few that voted yes. It is probably blind optimism, but I feel that Cook has a chance. The NBA game is such a different game. The ability to drive to the hoop is used as a weapon by a player from any position. Cook is actually really good at that considering the size and position. In college we witnessed that skill hampered by something unique to the college game. Condensed defense. In the NBA they do not play condensed defense.

In the NBA Cook will be getting alot more space to beat his defender 1 on 1. I believe that Cook can excel at this. I doubt he would be more than an NBA role player unless he develops a jumper, but NBA role player is what I predict.

If I'm an NBA team I take Cook in the second round just to see if I can generate some buzz for my franchise at the Dunk contest.

Good luck TC!

Drafted? No. But he could play in the NBA. He just needs to be really special in at least one area. If he devoted himself to be a dominant rebounder, he would be a better, more dynamic version of Reggie Evans.

It's not like dominant rebounders just try harder than anyone else. They see the game quicker than most so they can get to the proper spot before others know where the proper spot is. Great rebounding takes the exact skill that is one of Cook's biggest weaknesses. Quick reaction time.

It's not like dominant rebounders just try harder than anyone else. They see the game quicker than most so they can get to the proper spot before others know where the proper spot is. Great rebounding takes the exact skill that is one of Cook's biggest weaknesses. Quick reaction time.

Cook doesn't out jump other players of his size. He jumps quicker. What he can do in the air with the ball above his head is highly unusual. Cook does have quick reaction time. How in the hell do you think he can dunk off of rebounds. He along with his teammates have never been coached proper footwork and and/arm work. Therein is the main issue.

That explains Dennis Rodman perfectly. He wasn’t an exceptional leaper........he just knew where the ball was coming off and the spot he needed to be to go get it.

10-12 years ago I think TC could sneak into the late first round, but the game has changed so much that it doesn’t match what he excels at.

80-85% of the players in the league have to find a niche, a role. Obviously, TC will never be part of that 15-20% so he has to figure out how he becomes part of the 80-85%. Imo, he needs to be that guy we saw in the second half of the Tennessee game. Buckets in transition, putbacks, the occasional back to the basket shot. He shouldn’t forget about working on his jumper, but I think it would help him more if he learned how to become a better defender.

10-12 years ago I think TC could sneak into the late first round, but the game has changed so much that it doesn’t match what he excels at.

80-85% of the players in the league have to find a niche, a role. Obviously, TC will never be part of that 15-20% so he has to figure out how he becomes part of the 80-85%. Imo, he needs to be that guy we saw in the second half of the Tennessee game. Buckets in transition, putbacks, the occasional back to the basket shot. He shouldn’t forget about working on his jumper, but I think it would help him more if he learned how to become a better defender.

Defense will only be a major concern if he ends up on a playoff team. NBA regular season defense is more about disrupting shots than it is about smothering defense. You don't see college level defensive focus very often outside of the playoffs.

I believe his niche roll will be a wing slashing PF or SF. I'm not saying he is a master at driving the lane, but for his size he is deceptively good at it. Probably needs to continue improvement on the handle, but even in the defense oriented B1G there weren't alot of players that could stop TC from getting to the hoop 1 on 1. Defenses relied on dig downs and help defense to limit Tyler. That stuff doesn't happen alot in the NBA and certainly not to roll players. An NBA team may scheme to limit a Blake Griffin, but they aren't planning defensive sets to limit a TC. He should get plenty of opportunities to take a 3 or 4 off the dribble 1 on 1.

Also could be a good pick and roll player I believe.

Cook doesn't out jump other players of his size. He jumps quicker. What he can do in the air with the ball above his head is highly unusual. Cook does have quick reaction time. How in the hell do you think he can dunk off of rebounds. He along with his teammates have never been coached proper footwork and and/arm work. Therein is the main issue.

He has slow reaction time compared to his peers. Of course I guy with his height and jumping ability can dunk rebounds. I didn't say he has the reaction time of a turtle.(do turtles even have slow reaction times?) You can see a clear difference between Cook and Baer in regards to how quickly they react to something on the court. If you could put Baer's reaction time into Cook's athleticism, he would have the potential to be an elite rebounder. But since you can't do that, he doesn't have the ability to be elite. That's not to say he couldn't be better if he applied himself more.

Rob's list is interesting when you dig into it a bit. Of the 28 guys listed, only 4 are Power Forwards, which is what Cook would be listed as. All 4 of those were Srs, not a Jr as Cook would be listed. All of the 28 except 8 were college Srs. Now, Cook has a better than average body build for a college Jr. bball player, but when you consider the total # of players who make themselves eligible for the NBA draft, given Rob's list, the odds would suggest if you don't get drafted as a PF, your odds of playing in the NBA the following year are minimal....if not microscopic.