Will the Oregon opening effect our coaching search?

GhostofBTT

Banned
Oregon has the best corporate sponsorship in college sports, they have a ridiculous arena on the way, and they are willing to spend any amount to get a good coach.

Oregon has the best corporate sponsorship in college sports, they have a ridiculous arena on the way, and they are willing to spend any amount to get a good coach.

Simple answer is yes, based on supply and demand. It is another decent D1 school to compete against. Even if we don't go after the same coaches, salary comparisons during negotiation are inevitable.

Last edited:

You know Ghost, that's a good question......my short answer is "I'm not sure."

However, it's on the West Coast, in a completely different type of conference. I don't know that we'd necessarily be competing for the same types of coaches.

You know Ghost, that's a good question......my short answer is "I'm not sure."

However, it's on the West Coast, in a completely different type of conference. I don't know that we'd necessarily be competing for the same types of coaches.

I agree with this.

I would say no, unless they don't get any of their top three or four candidates. From what I've seen on their coaching search the guys at the top of their list, Few, Tubby Smith, Alford, would never be considered for the Iowa job. If they get past those guys, then yes we might be looking at similiar candidates.

Ghost-

I could not resist. You meant affect instead of effect.

To answer your question, I think it could have a huge effect on our coaching search. Turgeon has been rumored for the Oregon job. Does that send Drew to A&M? (Doubtful, but possible).

As a side note, I absolutely love watching the vacant coach domino game each year. I am excited that we are involved in it this year.

Go Hawks!

I'm saying probably not....unless Barta is considering Mike Dunlap (and I hope he is)....because it appears Dunlap will be interviewed for the job.

Ghost-

I could not resist. You meant affect instead of effect.

To answer your question, I think it could have a huge effect on our coaching search. Turgeon has been rumored for the Oregon job. Does that send Drew to A&M? (Doubtful, but possible).

As a side note, I absolutely love watching the vacant coach domino game each year. I am excited that we are involved in it this year.

Go Hawks!

Acctually, I'm pretty sure effect is the proper usage.

Actually, you are wrong.

The Oregon hire may affect our hire.

The Oregon hire may have an adverse effect on our hire.

Go Hawks!

I thought it was pretty much a certainty that Tubby Smith would take that job if offered. I don't see it affecting Iowa that much.

Acctually, I'm pretty sure effect is the proper usage.

affect is the proper usage.

affect 1 |əˈfekt|
verb [ trans. ]
have an effect on; make a difference to : the dampness began to affect my health | [with clause ] your attitude will affect how successful you are.

effect |iˈfekt|
noun
1 a change that is a result or consequence of an action or other cause : the lethal effects of hard drugs | politicians really do have some effect on the lives of ordinary people.

I thought it was pretty much a certainty that Tubby Smith would take that job if offered. I don't see it affecting Iowa that much.

If Tubby takes the Oregon job then it could absolutely have an effect on our coaching search because Minnesota would probably be in the market for similar coaches to those who Iowa is looking for.

Outside of that I doubt that it would affect our coaching search because we won't be able to go after the caliber of coach they're looking for. Oregon is probably a considerably more desirable job thanIowa for someone with no ties to either program. Probably the only thing we have going for us over them is the Big Ten vs. Pac Ten for basketball traditions...although I've heard that UCLA is somewhat of a basketball school.

It looks like we are going to have to disagree on this, but I am 99.9% sure you are wrong. It must be the drinking water in Bettendorf.

Anyway, what is your top 3 coaching list right now?

Go Hawks!

Latest posts