Will college football destroy itself?

eyekwah

The topic question is raised based on the article below. It is obvious that the mentality at some colleges in some conferences is greatly out of whack with the majority of colleges. Right now college football maybe in a good place financially but on a moral level things have greatly deteriorated. One can point to criminal behavior by players, over-signing by coaches, and the greediness by the conferences as examples of the deterioration. Honorable coaches that offer 4 year scholarships and a history of players graduating are at a disadvantage. Conferences with higher standards for admission and more rigorous graduation requirements must compete with those in a race to the bottom. The NCAA seems to be floundering in the role it should be playing.

Y! SPORTS

"In mid-February, Ohio State coach Urban Meyer sent a text message to Northwestern coach Pat Fitzgerald warning him of other teams in other conferences creating separate departments for recruiting that included NFL scouts on their payrolls. “…there are already teams that have made plans to have separate scouting depts. [sic]. there has already been nfl scouts that have been told they will be hired to run the dept. (hired for over 200k). I checked with an NFL friend and he confirmed that there was much conversation about this. Appealing to scouts because of no travel. Also, there has been movement to hire Frmr players/coaches with big names to work in that dept. and recruit full time. This will all happen immediately once rule is passed. Thought u should be aware if [sic] this nonsense to share with who u feel can assist.â€￾"

The topic question is raised based on the article below. It is obvious that the mentality at some colleges in some conferences is greatly out of whack with the majority of colleges. Right now college football maybe in a good place financially but on a moral level things have greatly deteriorated. One can point to criminal behavior by players, over-signing by coaches, and the greediness by the conferences as examples of the deterioration. Honorable coaches that offer 4 year scholarships and a history of players graduating are at a disadvantage. Conferences with higher standards for admission and more rigorous graduation requirements must compete with those in a race to the bottom. The NCAA seems to be floundering in the role it should be playing.

Y! SPORTS

"In mid-February, Ohio State coach Urban Meyer sent a text message to Northwestern coach Pat Fitzgerald warning him of other teams in other conferences creating separate departments for recruiting that included NFL scouts on their payrolls. “…there are already teams that have made plans to have separate scouting depts. [sic]. there has already been nfl scouts that have been told they will be hired to run the dept. (hired for over 200k). I checked with an NFL friend and he confirmed that there was much conversation about this. Appealing to scouts because of no travel. Also, there has been movement to hire Frmr players/coaches with big names to work in that dept. and recruit full time. This will all happen immediately once rule is passed. Thought u should be aware if [sic] this nonsense to share with who u feel can assist.â€￾"

Sadly, I think this is absolutely the case. Tail wagging the dog any more, but money always wins out. Nile Kinnick would be disgusted I'm guessing.

Thankfully,the NCAA slowed their roll on these new rules so Meyer is going to have to find another way to hide those NFL sharks he has no doubt hired.

I strongly agree that college football is on the road to ruin.
The playoff is accelerating this demise.

I have advocated for the past couple of years that the Big Ten and Big 12 should just break away from the NCAA,and conduct their own playoff....called,the Rose Bowl.
These two leagues are the most aligned culturally and academically,with a balance between athletics and academics.
Saban and his ilk play a different game. They devote a much higher percentage of their resources to football,and their fan base is obsessed with that one sport.
If I was a player in the SEC I would demand to be paid,altho they most likely are paid. Their degrees,if they bother to get them,are pretty worthless. Most do not graduate. It is a total sham.

The NCAA and colleges need to take a hard look at what it is they are, and what they are trying to accomplish. I think the questions they need to start with are these;

1. Is the NCAA truly an amateur organization or simply a "school affiliated" semi-pro league (especially for the NBA & NFL)?
2. Why do colleges offer athletics?
(a) Does that align with the objectives and goals of the NCAA?
(b) If those objectives don't align should the colleges and the NCAA go separate ways?

It does feel like a sham in some cases that it is no longer about Student-Athletes and solely about creating large profits.

Its funny this was brought up me and a couple of my friends had the same conversation over the summer. I personally think the college football gm is going to the dumps. Everybody is getting money hungry and its runing the gm.

Thankfully,the NCAA slowed their roll on these new rules so Meyer is going to have to find another way to hide those NFL sharks he has no doubt hired.

I strongly agree that college football is on the road to ruin.
The playoff is accelerating this demise.

I have advocated for the past couple of years that the Big Ten and Big 12 should just break away from the NCAA,and conduct their own playoff....called,the Rose Bowl.
These two leagues are the most aligned culturally and academically,with a balance between athletics and academics.
Saban and his ilk play a different game. They devote a much higher percentage of their resources to football,and their fan base is obsessed with that one sport.
If I was a player in the SEC I would demand to be paid,altho they most likely are paid. Their degrees,if they bother to get them,are pretty worthless. Most do not graduate. It is a total sham.

I said this back when all the realignment was going down and the playoff idea was being pushed...only I said Pac12...but either or is fine with me...I don't see the SEC teams as legit "College" teams anymore...I think we should break off...do our own thing...and let them do whatever they want.

I DON'T think student athletes should be paid...and frankly...the whole thing has gotten a little out of control money wise...I remember reading an article where Delaney said if they move to pay players the BIG may seriously consider De-emphasizing collegiate sports...and I am beginning to think that may not be the worst idea.

I said this back when all the realignment was going down and the playoff idea was being pushed...only I said Pac12...but either or is fine with me...I don't see the SEC teams as legit "College" teams anymore...I think we should break off...do our own thing...and let them do whatever they want.

I DON'T think student athletes should be paid...and frankly...the whole thing has gotten a little out of control money wise...I remember reading an article where Delaney said if they move to pay players the BIG may seriously consider De-emphasizing collegiate sports...and I am beginning to think that may not be the worst idea.

What does this mean? Is there really a substantial identify of the Big 10 apart from sports? I don't imagine professors getting together at academic gatherings for a Big 10 discussion of molecular biology. The American Association of Universities or other discipline-specific academic gatherings seem to be much more important to professors and administrators.

Last edited:
John Bacon, a Michigan history prof, has written a book called ''Saving the Soul of College Football''...I saw him interviewed on BTN Live last week.

His claim is that the Big Ten is the bulwark against the complete soul-selling like in the SEC. He cited that not only does the Big Ten have 18 million fans compared to the next most in the SEC- 9 million, the Big Ten's fanbase is equal to all other BCS leagues put together. The Big Ten also produces more PHd's than the rest of the schools put together. His claim is that the Big Ten has the proper balance between sports and academics and can maintain that high ground with their massive fan base.

He feels the Big Ten is on the cusp of a new, golden era, and that eventually the good will triumph over SEC evil.

What does this mean? Is there really a substantial identify of the Big 12 apart from sports? I don't imagine professors getting together at academic gatherings for a Big 12 discussion of molecular biology. The American Association of Universities or other discipline-specific academic gatherings seem to be much more important to professors and administrators.

This article is a pretty interesting read relating to it: Jim Delany: Big Ten could go to D-III if O'Bannon beats NCAA - College Football - Andy Staples - SI.com

I would like to think the BIG is actually morally above the others and would follow through on their threat.

While I don't want to see the demise of college sports...someone needs to put their foot down before we are negotiating with recruits and it's open free agent season.

Also, if you pay football players...how could you justify NOT paying all of the other athletes?? After all, they are all still the same..."student-athletes", right?

Last edited:
John Bacon, a Michigan history prof, has written a book called ''Saving the Soul of College Football''...I saw him interviewed on BTN Live last week.

His claim is that the Big Ten is the bulwark against the complete soul-selling like in the SEC. He cited that not only does the Big Ten have 18 million fans compared to the next most in the SEC- 9 million, the Big Ten's fanbase is equal to all other BCS leagues put together. The Big Ten also produces more PHd's than the rest of the schools put together. His claim is that the Big Ten has the proper balance between sports and academics and can maintain that high ground with their massive fan base.

He feels the Big Ten is on the cusp of a new, golden era, and that eventually the good will triumph over SEC evil.

Sounds lofty and lovely. So, how will it do this?

P.S. Are his numbers inflated by the addition of Maryland and Rutgers? Or does that just make his point stronger?

Sounds lofty and lovely. So, how will it do this?

P.S. Are his numbers inflated by the addition of Maryland and Rutgers? Or does that just make his point stronger?

Not sure if RU and Md were in his numbers. He did not get into real detail on how the Big Ten will steer college football away from the devils den....guess he wants folks to buy the book.

This article is a pretty interesting read relating to it: Jim Delany: Big Ten could go to D-III if O'Bannon beats NCAA - College Football - Andy Staples - SI.com

I would like to think the BIG is actually morally above the others and would follow through on their threat.

This sounds like it is written by an academic who is out of touch with the core reality of TV contracts. It is inconceivable that Big 10 schools would forego their share of the TV revenue to make a moral stand. Only in the classroom of an academic institution could you take seriously something like this.

Sure, the Ivy League once ruled football, then de-emphasized it, and now they are doing okay. This is a meaningless comparison. The Big 10 will be part of the flow of college sports or it won't be relevant. They are more likely to lead college sports down the primrose path to destruction by selling their souls for TV revenue than being the salvation of college sports through some high-minded effort.

This sounds like it is written by an academic who is out of touch with the core reality of TV contracts. It is inconceivable that Big 10 schools would forego their share of the TV revenue to make a moral stand. Only in the classroom of an academic institution could you take seriously something like this.

Sure, the Ivy League once ruled football, then de-emphasized it, and now they are doing okay. This is a meaningless comparison. The Big 10 will be part of the flow of college sports or it won't be relevant. They are more likely to lead college sports down the primrose path to destruction by selling their souls for TV revenue than being the salvation of college sports through some high-minded effort.

Well those are direct quotes from the commissioner of the BIG, Jim Delaney. So if you're saying you are guessing he is just saying stuff he wouldn't follow through...that's valid...because I doubt he would...but he did say those things.

Latest posts