Wiggins

RocknRollface

This summer people were seriously throwing around the name Lebron, or best highschooler since Lebron.

Not even in the ball park with that evaluation.

Too often, people let knowledge of what players become mar their memories of what they were. LeBron at 18 wasn't on LeBron's ballpark either. Why would you expect Wiggins to be?

Also, to say "Wiggins is the best prospect since LeBron" isn't equivalent to saying "Wiggins is as good or better than LeBron was."

But....to say Wiggins is the best prospect since Lebron IS equivalent to saying Wiggins is better than Durant was as a freshman. Oops, they got that one wrong. Durant was by far the best freshman player I've seen play. Wiggins will have to improve a lot to get to that level.

KU needs to figure out how to slow down, run an offense with Ellis and Wiggins and let everyone else clean up after them.
KU played out of control and turned the ball over way too much. Emibiid is a really good big man too, but fouled out and it changed the game.
The one thing KU really needs, a PG that will run the show, Thorpe and Mason are far to worried about themselves rather than running the show.
They were terrible in the half court, one pass and shot most of the time. Terrible shot selection and zero ball movement in the half court cost them.
Wiggins has the flu, at least that is what the announcers said, but he played poorly.

Parker is the best freshman I have seen so far.

But....to say Wiggins is the best prospect since Lebron IS equivalent to saying Wiggins is better than Durant was as a freshman. Oops, they got that one wrong. Durant was by far the best freshman player I've seen play. Wiggins will have to improve a lot to get to that level.

Thank you for actually making a comparison of Wiggins to a prospect since LeBron and not LeBron himself.
Durant is a great player to pick, since he had fantastic collegiate numbers and has developed into the best scorer in the NBA. However, if I were going off of collegiate production, I would have chosen Michael Beasley, who was a better scorer and rebounder despite playing fewer minutes than Durant (see table below). Of course, he hasn't developed into a good NBA player, so it's hard to argue that he's the best prospect since LeBron. The divergent careers of Durant and Beasley ought to show that collegiate production isn't necessarily the best way to judge a prospect's NBA potential. (For further evidence of this, look at Paul George's sophomore stats at Fresno State. His poor production hasn't prevented him from becoming an elite NBA player.)

Wiggins' success and failure as a basketball player depends upon how he develops over the next decade; where he is now is not really that important in the big picture, since even the best players have to work to improve from good/great college player to above average NBA players. (Even Durant. People forget that he struggled mightily as a rookie in Seattle, shooting under 40% from the field for the first two months.)

(Side note: interestingly, Durant and Beasley averaged more shots from the field than Wiggins has attempted in any single game this season. That should say something about their teams and their roles.)

PlayerMPGFGA/GFG%RPGAPGTO/GSTL/GBLK/GPPG
Durant (Texas)35.918.547.311.11.32.81.91.925.8
Beasley (Kansas State)31.517.553.212.41.22.91.31.626.2
George (Fresno State)33.212.542.47.23.03.22.20.816.8

After writing this, I realized that the problem with the expectations for Wiggins is that some people don't realize that the Wiggins hype is about his long-term NBA potential, not his ability to contribute right now on the collegiate level.

Too often, people let knowledge of what players become mar their memories of what they were. LeBron at 18 wasn't on LeBron's ballpark either. Why would you expect Wiggins to be?

Also, to say "Wiggins is the best prospect since LeBron" isn't equivalent to saying "Wiggins is as good or better than LeBron was."

LeBron did average 21 pts, 5.5 rebounds, 6 assists, and 1.5 steals as a rookie in the NBA. Not too bad for an 18 year old.

Im fully aware of how good Lebron was out of highschool and its not a comparison that should have ever been made.

Lots of guys are athletic but hes still raw and its crazy to project just based on athleticism when the skills are not there yet and may never be.

Right now hes not even close to guys like Durant or Derick Rose as first year players.

Last edited:
Im fully aware of how good Lebron was out of highschool and its not a comparison that should have ever been made.

Lots of guys are athletic but hes still raw and its crazy to project just based on athleticism when the skills are not there yet and may never be.

Right now hes not even close to guys like Durant or Derick Rose as first year players.

How many times have you watched Wiggins? That is for everyone who feels the need to try and knock this kid down a peg. I think Parker is the best freshman I have seen so far, but Wiggins is for real folks.

He's a lot closer than you think. NBA GMs love that kid and he's only been playing basketball since he was 16.

NBA GM's are in love with any big guy that is coordinated. I think he is good, but Wiggins is going to be the better player when all is said and done.

How many times have you watched Wiggins? That is for everyone who feels the need to try and knock this kid down a peg. I think Parker is the best freshman I have seen so far, but Wiggins is for real folks.

Twice, from what ive seen the skill sets not there to be talked about like he is.

Id take Parker too, as well as Marcus Smart and Randal.

This. After seeing them several times now, I can't figure out why Parker was dropped in the rankings. That guy is crazy good.

This. After seeing them several times now, I can't figure out why Parker was dropped in the rankings. That guy is crazy good.

Didn't he break his foot before Wiggins reclassified and dropped after that...made no sense to me. I think the top three freshmen are right and put them in what order you prefer, but Young from UK deserves some talk as well.

Latest posts