Jok (JR) - PER 21.7

Uthoff (JR - Started at the 3) - PER 22.8

White (JR - Started at the 3) - PER 23.8
White (SO - Started at the 3) - PER 22.9

Marble (SR) - PER 22.6
Marble (JR) - PER 20.6

Gatens (SR) - PER 20.9
Gatens (JR)- PER 15.8

Very impressive what Joe has been able to do this year as a freshman. He’s playing near the level these guys did later in their careers. Many of those guys got All-Conference recognition for the seasons listed above. His impact has been huge for this years team and he should continue to improve over the coming years.

Last edited:
Pretty darn impressive. I wouldn't be shocked if he reaches Uthoff's 28.0 PER as senior at some point.

Wieskamp - PER (player efficiency) 19.8

Jok (SR) - PER 22.9
Jok (JR) - PER 21.7

Uthoff (JR - Started at the 3) - PER 22.8

White (JR - Started at the 3) - PER 23.8
White (SO - Started at the 3) - PER 22.9

Marble (SR) - PER 22.6
Marble (JR) - PER 20.6

Gatens (SR) - PER 20.9
Gatens (JR)- PER 15.8

Very impressive what Joe has been able to do this year as a freshman. He’s playing near the level these guys did later in their careers. Many of those guys got All-Conference recognition for the seasons listed above. His impact has been huge for this years team and he should continue to improve over the coming years.
What types of things does PER measure? Just offense or D too?

Pretty darn impressive. I wouldn't be shocked if he reaches Uthoff's 28.0 PER as senior at some point.
For whatever reason it seems PER tends to favor Bigs over guards, but Wieskamp is a pretty good rebounder and can block some shots so maybe he gets there.

For reference Happ is above 30 this year and Cassius Winston is just above 25.

Last edited:
For whatever reason it seems PER tend to favor Bigs over guards, but Wieskamp is a pretty good rebounder and can block some shots so maybe he gets there.

For reference Happ is above 30 this year and Cassius Winston is just above 25.

You're forgetting I'm a data nerd :)

PER is more favorable for bigs because rebounds(offense and defense) and FG% are part of the formula. Bigs tend to have more rebounds and a higher FG% due to shooting more shots in close.

I was thinking about this as well, and without the stats, I think he is a good combination of Gatens and Jok. He will be a better scorer than Gatens and already is a better defender than Jok ever way.

I was thinking about this as well, and without the stats, I think he is a good combination of Gatens and Jok. He will be a better scorer than Gatens and already is a better defender than Jok ever way.

Honestly, it can be argued Joe is a better scorer than both already. The efficiency shooting stats prove it. Joe's TS% and eFG% are both higher than Gatens or Jok ever posted. His PER would be much higher if his usage rate was higher than it is. Joe has deferred to his teammates way more than Jok or Gatens ever did (18.6% usage rate). One could argue that Joe's efficiency would decrease with a higher usage rate but the question would be by how much?

Gatens:

upload_2019-2-8_15-14-28.png

Jok:

upload_2019-2-8_15-12-14.png

Wieskamp:

upload_2019-2-8_15-12-28.png

Honestly, it can be argued Joe is a better scorer than both already. The efficiency shooting stats prove it. Joe's TS% and eFG% are both higher than Gatens or Jok ever posted. His PER would be much higher if his usage rate was higher than it is. Joe has deferred to his teammates way more than Jok or Gatens ever did (18.6% usage rate). One could argue that Joe's efficiency would decrease with a higher usage rate but the question would be by how much?

Gatens:

View attachment 5001

Jok:

View attachment 4999

Wieskamp:

View attachment 5000
I think it probably helps Joe that he surrounded by so many scoring threats. With that said his defensive rating also probably gets negatively effected by having a less talented defensive team surrounding him.

All told it’s pretty darn impressive what he’s doing as a freshman. He has a chance to be a 50/40/90 guy at the college level one of these years, which is crazy good. He’s only at 72% free throws right now but knowing what we know about his ability to shoot that number will go up.

I think it probably helps Joe that he surrounded by so many scoring threats. With that said his defensive rating also probably gets negatively effected by having a less talented defensive team surrounding him.

All told it’s pretty darn impressive what he’s doing as a freshman. He has a chance to be a 50/40/90 guy at the college level one of these years, which is crazy good. He’s only at 72% free throws right now but knowing what we know about his ability to shoot that number will go up.

Good point. No doubt Joe is surrounded by a better offensive supporting cast than the other 2. He's light years ahead of where both were as freshmen which is really impressive. Joe shot 84.5% from FT last year in HS so there's definitely a chance for him to get back to that and maybe reach the 90% area.

The stat I really like that I haven't pointed out yet is his free throw rate. He's drawing more fouls per FG attempted than the other 2 which is a good indicator that he will be at the line a lot in the future when he becomes more of the focal point. It's going to be fun to watch how much he improves over these next few years.

Good point. No doubt Joe is surrounded by a better offensive supporting cast than the other 2. He's light years ahead of where both were as freshmen which is really impressive. Joe shot 84.5% from FT last year in HS so there's definitely a chance for him to get back to that and maybe reach the 90% area.

The stat I really like that I haven't pointed out yet is his free throw rate. He's drawing more fouls per FG attempted than the other 2 which is a good indicator that he will be at the line a lot in the future when he becomes more of the focal point. It's going to be fun to watch how much he improves over these next few years.
Outside the raw data, he is also very fundamentally sound, and unselfish, almost to a fault.

Such a joy to watch his first year of college ball unfold.
Pure shooter, no doubt but what excites me is how much stronger he'll get in the next couple years. With experience we should also see in the next couple years a big uptick in his defensive skill set.
You add that to his game and you're talking about a serious contender for B1G Player of the Year maybe by his Jr year.

I updated this. Joe’s PER is above 20 now after last nights game. Will be interesting to see where he ends up at the end of the season.

Garza is the top ranked Hawkeye coming in at # 84 (PER = 25.60) in all of Division 1 BB. I was only able to see the top 100 posted, but would be curious to know how the rest of the team compares, especially Cook.

Garza is the top ranked Hawkeye coming in at # 84 (PER = 25.60) in all of Division 1 BB. I was only able to see the top 100 posted, but would be curious to know how the rest of the team compares, especially Cook.
Cook is at 22.5 and Garza is down to 24.8 after last nights game. Again PER tends to favor big men.