Why would Pearl come?

Kindabigdeal

I'm looking for information here. I was born in 1980 so I am not too familiar with Pearl's ties to Iowa. Was he an assistant for Tom Davis? Is he a midwest guy? Basically, what/why would bring him back to Iowa?

I realize Tennessee doesn't have much tradition but I still think it would be easier to recruit there than at Iowa...especially the athletes that do well in Pearl's system.

Also, how does Iowa pay Pearl the necessary money (3 million) and have that salary equal Ferentz?

Listen to Jon's podcast and you could probably get all your questions answered and more. But I will give you a little info.

Pearl was an assistant for Mr. Davis. Had coaching stints with a directional Illinois team I think and Wisconsin-GB. So he has midwest connections with recruiting and has been successful with midwest recruits. His entire Tennessee staff has Iowa connections.

His recruiting may be easier in Tennessee, but it's not like he only recruits in that state anyway. He would have no problem recruiting anywhere. He has an infectious personality that recruits tend to relate to.

The buyout is not a huge factor. Between the BT network money and gained revenue from empty seats alone would pay that and Lick's buyout. Keep in mind, Lick's buyout in not a lump sum. It is a 3 part installment over 3 years I believe.

I don't know if Pearl would come. Probably a long shot. But there are no real obstacles(accept possibly Delaney) from it happening.

Last edited:
1) Prestige. At Tennessee, mens basketball is No. 3 behind football and womens basketball. At Iowa he would quickly become No. 2 and challenge Ferentz for having the most-followed athletic program in the state.
2) Legacy. Turning around Iowa MBB, getting top-notch recruits to come to Iowa City, filling seats at CHA, reversing the financial fortunes, helping to open the pocketbooks of wealthy donors -- that's Hayden Fry-level legacy stuff. He's at that stage in his life and his career to think about leaving a legacy.
3) Money. Iowa can meet and beat Tennessee.
4) Thumb in the eye to Illinois.
5) Thumb in the eye to Jim Delaney.
6) Midwest connections, especially his staff.
7) Tom Davis.

I understand there is nothing preventing him from coming but I still ask WHY? Basically, why would Pearl leave the program he has built up the last 5 years for a program at its lowest point in history? The SEC is a solid conference, probably a notch below Big Ten as far as basketball goes, but strong nonetheless.

Unless he loves Iowa or the Big Ten for some reason, I don't see him leaving Tennessee.

I understand there is nothing preventing him from coming but I still ask WHY? Basically, why would Pearl leave the program he has built up the last 5 years for a program at its lowest point in history? The SEC is a solid conference, probably a notch below Big Ten as far as basketball goes, but strong nonetheless.

Unless he loves Iowa or the Big Ten for some reason, I don't see him leaving Tennessee.

If you've never cleaned up a mess left by the former guy who held the position then you will not understand the answer I am about to give.

In Iowa City Pearl would have no way to go but up. He could do no wrong. He would immediately add to his considerable reputation as a rebuilder of programs and become one of the elite names in college coaching.

If you've never cleaned up a mess left by the former guy who held the position then you will not understand the answer I am about to give.

In Iowa City Pearl would have no way to go but up. He could do no wrong. He would immediately add to his considerable reputation as a rebuilder of programs and become one of the elite names in college coaching.

I think that sounds good idealistically. However, I think coaches want to win. Pearl is already winning at Tennessee and will continue to win for the foreseeable future. The SEC is also an easier conference to win in.

It would take 2-3 years for Pearl to build up Iowa to the point he is already at now at Tennessee.

On a funny note, imagine Tennessee losing it's football coach and basketball coach in the same year...talk about burned. Although with the recruiting class the new coach just pulled in, maybe the fanbase would not be too suicidal.

1) Prestige. At Tennessee, mens basketball is No. 3 behind football and womens basketball. At Iowa he would quickly become No. 2 and challenge Ferentz for having the most-followed athletic program in the state.
2) Legacy. Turning around Iowa MBB, getting top-notch recruits to come to Iowa City, filling seats at CHA, reversing the financial fortunes, helping to open the pocketbooks of wealthy donors -- that's Hayden Fry-level legacy stuff. He's at that stage in his life and his career to think about leaving a legacy.
3) Money. Iowa can meet and beat Tennessee.
7) Tom Davis.

there is no prestige with the Iowa bball program right now. And the basketball team is light years away from challenging football in regards to any sort of following comparison. Pearlywould be a great hire but i think people are grasping at straws trying to convince themselves he is a possibility

there is no prestige with the Iowa bball program right now. And the basketball team is light years away from challenging football in regards to any sort of following comparison. Pearlywould be a great hire but i think people are grasping at straws trying to convince themselves he is a possibility

Not right now. But the funny thing about coaches is that they are competitive fellows who like challenges; they like to win, whether it's recruiting battles, games or rebuilding programs.

Bruce Pearl could bring immediate prestige to Iowa men's basketball.

I agree he's a long-shot. But I think Barta needs to try to go after him hard.

And didn't the caller on Jon's podcast from this morning say that all of Pearl's assistants have Iowa ties? Steve Forbes is from Iowa originally. Jason Shay played at Iowa as a gray teamer. Jones (not sure of the first name) is apparently brother to Bill Jones who played at Iowa? Plus Pearl used to be assistant coach at Iowa, for what that's worth. There are Iowa ties all over that staff. I have to believe being back in Iowa would appeal to that staff. But Pearl is the head man, and he has to buy into it first and foremost. I think the assistants might like the move, actually, but I'm just guessing.

1) Prestige. At Tennessee, mens basketball is No. 3 behind football and womens basketball. At Iowa he would quickly become No. 2 and challenge Ferentz for having the most-followed athletic program in the state. ??????????????? really?
2) Legacy. Turning around Iowa MBB, getting top-notch recruits to come to Iowa City, filling seats at CHA, reversing the financial fortunes, helping to open the pocketbooks of wealthy donors -- that's Hayden Fry-level legacy stuff. He's at that stage in his life and his career to think about leaving a legacy. He's doing that stuff at Tenn....why would he need to do it to Iowa
3) Money. Iowa can meet and beat Tennessee. He got paid 2.4 million this year. Meet and beat? Doubt
7) Tom Davis.

Pearl would have the guys playing bb again...not keepaway...but real bb again.

Carver would be packed and the team would love playing for him...

Get your tickets now because they would be difficult to get if he came here!

Latest posts