Why would #7 seed in NCAA Women's tourney face the #1 seed?

Grady

I thought typically the brackets would be structured, if all games went chalk, #1 v #8, #2 v #7, #3 v #6, #4 v #5. Yet yesterday the latest Top 16 teams had Iowa as the #7 seed at the same regional as #1 S. Carolina. Not that I'm complaining -- I think Iowa would stand a better chance of beating S.Carolina AGAIN, than beating #3 Stanford. But I don't get it.

Maybe this what you meant, but could it possibly mean that Iowa is the #7 overall team, not the #7 regional team? That would make Iowa #2 in South Carolina's region.

Since South Carolina is the obvious #1 overall, they probably have Ohio State as #2 overall. So yeah, normally you would put #7 overall with #2 overall , but you can't because Ohio state is #2 overall. So now you need to either bump #7 overall Iowa up to #1 overall South Carolina's region or down to #3 overall Stanford's region.

South Carolina scares me. That's the last team I would want to play in the regional. I would be willing to take my chances with Stanford, but Stanford is a little scary too.

Maybe this what you meant, but could it possibly mean that Iowa is the #7 overall team, not the #7 regional team? That would make Iowa #2 in South Carolina's region.

Since South Carolina is the obvious #1 overall, they probably have Ohio State as #2 overall. So yeah, normally you would put #7 overall with #2 overall , but you can't because Ohio state is #2 overall. So now you need to either bump #7 overall Iowa up to #1 overall South Carolina's region or down to #3 overall Stanford's region.

South Carolina scares me. That's the last team I would want to play in the regional. I would be willing to take my chances with Stanford, but Stanford is a little scary too.
I'm not scared by S.Carolina -- I've watched them twice this year on the tube and they've trailed most of both games: once to LSU, and once to Georgia, which is something like 3-12 in the SEC.
I can understand not putting teams from the same conference together early in the tourney, but I didn't realize they wouldn't let them play in a Regional Final game.

Well, if a conference has more than 4 teams in a tourney, obviously they will have to put 2 teams from the same conference in the same region. But they are not going to put the best 2 teams in the conference in the same region. Maybe they will put the best conference team and the 8th best conference team in the same region. Something like that.

No way they stay true to the s-curve anyway. I think having LSU, UConn, S Carolina, Iowa, etc separated would give them a chance to have as many "names" in the Final Four as possible, unless they want to set up a matchup of 2 of these teams before the FF for an earlier ratings grab. They'll decide what they want and they'll do it according to names and not overall seeds. If they're continuing the push for WBB, they should do what they want and I completely understand.

Yeah, kind of odd that today's win over the Buckeyes meant more to national seedings than BTen tourney seedings! Other than poor passing which led to numerous Hawk fast-break layups in the 2nd half, it wasn't like Ohio St. played poorly -- I mean, they knocked down a ton of 3pters. I could see them going pretty far in the NCAAs. Given their record and conference title, at this point you still have to rank them above Iowa, but you also have to move the Hawks up from #7. After today, I'm guessing the selection committee would put the Buckeyes at #4 and Iowa at #5 heading into the BTen tourney.

Yeah, kind of odd that today's win over the Buckeyes meant more to national seedings than BTen tourney seedings! Other than poor passing which led to numerous Hawk fast-break layups in the 2nd half, it wasn't like Ohio St. played poorly -- I mean, they knocked down a ton of 3pters. I could see them going pretty far in the NCAAs. Given their record and conference title, at this point you still have to rank them above Iowa, but you also have to move the Hawks up from #7. After today, I'm guessing the selection committee would put the Buckeyes at #4 and Iowa at #5 heading into the BTen tourney.
Who would be 2 and 3? Stanford and who else?

Who would be 2 and 3? Stanford and who else?
I think IA's 3 now. Texas lost this week and VTech lost twice. OSU and IA can both end up as 1s if they get to B1G championship and if ACC and PAC have upsets.

Also, looks like LSU is a top 8 seed now. They haven't lost since January .

I think IA's 3 now. Texas lost this week and VTech lost twice. OSU and IA can both end up as 1s if they get to B1G championship and if ACC and PAC have upsets.

Also, looks like LSU is a top 8 seed now. They haven't lost since January .
I think there's a good chance Stanford is still ahead of Iowa but it will be really close either way. The overall 2 seed and 3 seed will almost certainly win their conference tournament. I could see Iowa or OSU sneaking in as the last 1 seed without winning as long as Texas loses theirs. I think LSU is out of the 1 seed race but who knows.

Latest posts