Why we really lost...

DuffMan

The reality is we lost today because we had 3 empty red zone trips (plus another which we got inside their 40 and turned it over on downs) and lost the turnover battle (their PERFECTLY EXECUTED onside kick was essentially a turn over.

We didn't loose because of playcalling. We didn't lose because JVB is bad on the road (he completed nearly 70 percent of his passes and I counted at least 3 drops). We didn't lose because we played the wrong linebackers. We didn't lose because we killed the clock at the end of the half. We didn't lose because we were flat or unemotional. We didn't lose because we can't pick up blitzes.

Anything else....?

The reality is we lost today because we had 3 empty red zone trips (plus another which we got inside their 40 and turned it over on downs) and lost the turnover battle (their PERFECTLY EXECUTED onside kick was essentially a turn over.

We didn't loose because of playcalling. We didn't lose because JVB is bad on the road (he completed nearly 70 percent of his passes and I counted at least 3 drops). We didn't lose because we played the wrong linebackers. We didn't lose because we killed the clock at the end of the half. We didn't lose because we were flat or unemotional. We didn't lose because we can't pick up blitzes.

Anything else....?

Because those three empty red zone trips just happened spontaneously? Surely a poor play call or some missed blitzes may have had a hand in it, no?

Yeah, redzone success is purely a random outcome.

You should just probably toss in the empty redzone with the rest the reasons in your post and just make a big pot of suck stew. All of that combined sort of hits the nail on the head.

Last edited:
We lost because the coaches were not prepared for an onside kick, we lost because we couldn't stop Minny because Alston was on the bench. We lost because the coaches won't put in a home run back. We lost because we didn't go to playmakers in crunch time. We lost because our coaches can't retain D Linemen. We lost because KF has no ability for clock mgmt.

The mistakes you mentioned had been overcome by the time the coaches crapped down the leg of their pants with these other issues.

Not picking up blitzes led to redzone failures and a turnover so if you say we lost because of the turnover battle and redzone failures (that was part of it) then you have to include not picking up blitzes.

Theo reality is we lost today because we had 3 empty red zone trips (plus another which we got inside their 40 and turned it over on downs) and lost the turnover battle (their PERFECTLY EXECUTED onside kick was essentially a turn over.We didn't loose because of playcalling. We didn't lose because JVB is bad on the road (he completed nearly 70 percent of his passes and I counted at least 3 drops). We didn't lose because we played the wrong linebackers. We didn't lose because we killed the clock at the end of the half. We didn't lose because we were flat or unemotional. We didn't lose because we can't pick up blitzes.Anything else....?

I agree with everything in this post, but I do believe that with 2:48 and 1 time out left we still had plenty of time to run our entire offense. ...up tempo obviously.

The decision to huddle and go one dimentional did not cost us the lead and getting Coker involved in that last drive may have made no difference but we had the time to force them to play straight up.

no home run back? give me a ******* break, you watched one of the best performances by an iowa back ever. that's the lamest excuse of all

I see where you are coming from but you can't bring up the red zone failure and not say poor playcalliong lost us this game. we should have lost to Indiana but they failed to execute in the red zone. Our schemes are sound. But there are a lot of different outcomes from different playcalls. Once again we lost because other teams played to our tendencies.

Because those three empty red zone trips just happened spontaneously? Surely a poor play call or some missed blitzes may have had a hand in it, no?

Yeah, redzone success is purely a random outcome.

You should just probably toss in the empty redzone with the rest the reasons in your post and just make a big pot of suck stew. All of that combined sort of hits the nail on the head.

I agree...empty red zone possessions today were a direct result of poor play calling. Jail break screen from the 7? Slow developing pass plays when protection has been a question mark?

That back was awesome. But we could have run for 500 yards by dropping in a few quicks to go with the power.

Run Coker that much and then hit the gap with a speed guy and FG's or failed FG's up TD's.

no home run back? give me a ******* break, you watched one of the best performances by an iowa back ever. that's the lamest excuse of all

Agreed. Playing Coker did not cost Iowa the game in any way, shape, or form. Keep in mind that Gray, a statistically bad QB, passed for more than Vandy.

It's all about coaching when you lose to a team that can't beat north dakota state... you dont think we have better players than north dakota state?

Why is Coker even in the "excuse" discussion??????? Ridiculous. What more could you ask for out of him? I think our kicker needs his prescription checked.

Maybe White should've caught the ball, then ran with it. What's with JVB getting touched so much????? Is it mostly him not picking it up? hmm

regardless of what you want to point your finger at for the specific loss, this game showed us some things about the iowa football program.

They need 2 nfl quality dl and lb's to play the style of football they want to play and they don't have them on the team this year.

we need a te that can catch the ball consistantly on offense to play the style of football they want to play and they dont' have that this year either.

Latest posts