Why should college coaches not bolt to the NFL?

BSpringsteen

It's a blue blood sport. 90% of the coaches in the country walk into jobs where a national championship will never happen. And even with the 4 team BCS, the cards are stacked so far against you it's unreal.

Plus you have to work 12 months a year with insane amounts of travel trying to appeal to the tremendous ego of 17-18 year old kids, than work to get them to transition to school that in some cases they have no interest being at.

The NFL has training camp and the season. No recruiting trips, no worries about kids not going to class. If your star LB punches out a bartender, it's not even your job to discipline them.

Then there are the towns.

If you are Brian Kelley, you look around South Bend, IN and you get the **** out.

You ever been to some of these places? South Bend, West Lafayette, State College, Syracuse? Ames, Lubbock, Stillwater, Manhattan KS, College Station TX? Are you ******* kidding me? People who complain about Iowa City have never been to some of the truly awful places that house universities, and the B1G is blessed with great locales.

You are going to start Universities putting Bill O'Brien type buyouts in their coaches contracts.

I can think of a few reasons.

1) It's much, much easier to reach 18-22 year old kids than 22-30 year old men
2) Generally the college jobs offer much more leniency and the ADs are much more patient with the coaches. (lower expectations)
3) It's easier for a coach to obtain complete control in the college setting.

Haven't you heard? They get "lonely" in the NFL. There's no one around most of the year to inflate their over-sized egos.

But Brian Kelly has access to anything he wants at Notre Dame and recruiting should be pretty easy since they are one of the few elite football schools in the midwest. Really all he has to do is hire a good coaching staff and do his job on the sideline. Chip Kelly is in a similar situation, I am sure he wanted a number of guaranteed years in order to take on the job at Cleveland. Nick Saban would be crazy to leave his cushy job at Alabama. A place like Syracuse, Ames, Evanston, and even Iowa City I could not agree more. Unless you are getting paid an ungodly amount of guaranteed money like Ferentz is you would want to get out when a better opportunity comes along.

To win in football you need to have talent. Why take a job at Cleveland where you only get 1 top draft pick per year when you can coach at Alabama, Notre Dame, or Oregon and recruit 10 per year?

i really like coaching, but i would absolutely HATE recruiting. that would be the worst part for me. and, now that college is going the way of the pro game with job security, you might as well get that pro job. you can always land a college job later if that didn't work out.

To win in football you need to have talent. Why take a job at Cleveland where you only get 1 top draft pick per year when you can coach at Alabama, Notre Dame, or Oregon and recruit 10 per year?

you missed his point. there are a few exceptions. if you can land those jobs, you probably keep them, or if you can find an AD foolish enough to give you a giant contract with a huge buyout. a job at the Buffalo Bills is infinitely better than Syracuse. you take that every time.

Disagree.

Saban is under intense pressure by a fanbase that is far tougher and more insane than any NFL base to win every year - not go 8-4 and play in the Chick Fil A bowl, but to go 11-1, 12-0 every year.

Plus he has to live in ******* Tuscaloosa. Cleveland would be like moving to Rome.

The NFL is a grind, 12 to 14 hour days, pretty much all year long. That grind takes its toll on your family. At least college coaches have blocks of time off where they can recharge their battery. Mack Brown, KF, Pat Fitzgerald, David Shaw among many others just have ideal situations, why give that up to be a part of the meat grinder that is the NFL. I much rather be in Palo Alto or Evanston than Jacksonville or Buffalo.

Last edited:

Latest posts