Why Is It?

sportstalent

Iowa football has figured out that Michigan is a quality state for recruiting and Iowa basketball has all but abandoned that state when Michigan consistently produces quality basketball players.

You're right CAARHawk, but I wonder if we would have landed Devyn if the last sentence of his bio on that link weren't true... "is the son of Iowa's all-time leading scorer, Roy Marble."

Still, I think Fran will do a good job of bringing quality athletes to Iowa. I'm just not sure where they'll come from.

Two words: Tom Izzo

We cant recruit Michigan talent with the state of our bball program

Really? MSU has 4 players from their state that contribute: Lucas, Summers, Green and Nix...they have Mr. Basketball from the state this year in Keith Appling. The rest of the players from Michigan are either walk-on or scrubs.
That being said, there is a player named Al Horford, ring a bell, played for Florida and was a lottery pick?
Horford decommitted from Florida because he opened the door for Iowa to recruit him again...guess what, Super Alford didn't even call. Horford became who he is and Iowa has Iowa. I am not saying that one guy makes the world of difference, but Horford had a little brother who is 6'9" and can run. Until, Lickliter was fired, just like every other player from Michigan who had Iowa on their list, he dropped them. "Little" Horford went to Michigan. Percy Gibson, Brandon Kearney and Carlton Brundidge all had Iowa on their lists, but now do not. If you know Michigan basketball these three guys will be in the hunt for Mr. Basketball and throw in Trey McDonald, who Iowa is still recruiting. Tommie McCune from Saginaw will be in that conversation as well.
Kearney is going to MSU and Brundidge is going to Michigan (Iowa was his 2nd choice). The others are still up in the air and that is sad. Gibson is a PF wideload that can run and rebound and be physical, McDonald has a chance to be an All Big Ten performer and McCune is a 6'7" SF/PF and is athletic.
Now, there are other solid players in the state, but this group is the class of the state, Mr. Basketball could go to Amir Williams from Detroit Country Day, expect him at UNC or Duke, most likely UNC because they need so much frontcourt help.
I will take this group and go against any group from any other state and I think they would do very well if not win. Give me a roster of ten from Michigan this year and compare to any other group from any other state. It doesn't end there. LaVall Jordan is now at Michgan, expect Michigan kids to stay home and not leave. It is a shame because the talent is deep in the state year in and year out. Not every player is a star in the making, but I would settle for recruiting players like Duez Henderson every year.
Yes they got Marble mainly because of his dad, but he claims Iowa was his choice alone and his parents let him make his own descision.
Izzo is not the reason, the reason is because with Alford and Lickliter states like Indiana and Minnesota became focal points, hey, how did that work out?

Latest posts