Why Iowa is so pathetic at 2 minute offense

wally59

Iowa has a basic conservative ballcontrol offense that would prefer to run twice as much as they pass and take their time in doing it. It doesn't surprise me they are not very good at executing a 2 minute offense as it is completely opposite what they do the whole game. In regular game situations they do not run 4 or 5 receiver sets so it is very difficult to execute when you do not have game day experience. The defense also knows we have to pass the ball and put on a full out rush with no regard for the run, counter that by rolling out of the pocket. I think we had only one called roll out the whole game with Ohio State

The thing that perplexes me the most about our 2 minute offense is that usually they can't even get a friggin 1st down! Even when the other team is playing soft, prevent coverage. It looks like they hardly work on it in practice and you think that would be something they would focus on, considering that this coaching staff likes to play not to lose.

How about a no huddle approach running up to the line and getting multiple plays in on timeouts. Kinda the things that the REST of the football playing nation does on a regular basis.

The bigger question for me is why does it suck THIS YEAR?

It worked last year. I don't think we're likely to have a more veteran QB and receiving corp ever!?! Bizarre.

Lining up under center is one of the key problems. In the AZ game they had Gettis in there and he got destroyed. In the last three games it was Koepel and he got destroyed. You can't get a decent pass off if you never even get to set up to throw.

Add to that that the patterns against OSU in the two minute were horrible. Finally, Stanzi is way too comfortable with checking down to ARob. That check down has not worked in the two minute, but it looks almost like Stanzi is going there as a first option.

If DJK or MM had been able to get open, the 2 min offense would work better. OSU had them covered.

It seems to take Ricky 2 milliseconds to run thru his checkdowns and dump it over the middle to ARob. That has to change in order for us to move the ball down field. I'd be interested to see what the stats are on run v. pass in the OSU game. It seemed that after the scoring drive in the first quarter, we abandoned the run.

Swarmy

If DJK or MM had been able to get open, the 2 min offense would work better. OSU had them covered.

And if your Aunt Tilly had testicles, she'd be your Uncle Charlie.

Let's all just get over the fact that we failed to "EXECUTE", aka run the plays better at key moments in close contests......period.

Until we do so, 8-4 is about as good as it's gonna get.

Obviously it comes down to player execution; however, the O-coordinator is calling plays based on how he anticipates the defense to line up. The QB needs to read the coverage and audible as needed. Lot of moving parts, so this would need to be practiced heavily.

If you have a guard getting blown up and you are lining up under center it is hard to be successful. Shot gun was the right formation. That is the coaches' fault. Expecting Koeple to keep that guy out was pure idiocy.

The book is out there that the way to beat Iowa on late-game possessions: ON OFFENSE -- no-huddle, dink-and-dunk passing with an occasional run thrown in. Iowa's front line will tire and the linebackers can't adjust from their 8- to 10-yard cushion. ON DEFENSE -- blanket cover the two primary receivers McNutt and DJK, contain the RB on a short pass over the middle, crash the gaps, don't worry about the TE.

I am mystified why:
-- KFKOK continued to have Ricky under center instead of shotgun;
-- Apparently, this team has no no-huddle offense;
-- It seemingly takes 5-10 seconds to get every play in from the sideline, regardless of the point of the game.

And if your Aunt Tilly had testicles, she'd be your Uncle Charlie.

Let's all just get over the fact that we FAIL to "EXECUTE", aka run the plays better at key moments in close contests......period.

Until we do so, 8-4 is about as good as it's gonna get.

Fixed it for you.

The thing that perplexes me the most about our 2 minute offense is that usually they can't even get a friggin 1st down! Even when the other team is playing soft, prevent coverage. It looks like they hardly work on it in practice and you think that would be something they would focus on, considering that this coaching staff likes to play not to lose.

I'm not so sure they're running soft, prevent coverage all of the time. Seems teams are following the Arizona blue-print and blitzing everyone in these situations. And we don't do a good job adjusting to it, obviously.

I think YOU ALL have the answers, so if I were you, I'd go into D-1 coaching. Best of luck to all of you.

Iowa has a basic conservative ballcontrol offense that would prefer to run twice as much as they pass and take their time in doing it. It doesn't surprise me they are not very good at executing a 2 minute offense as it is completely opposite what they do the whole game. In regular game situations they do not run 4 or 5 receiver sets so it is very difficult to execute when you do not have game day experience. The defense also knows we have to pass the ball and put on a full out rush with no regard for the run, counter that by rolling out of the pocket. I think we had only one called roll out the whole game with Ohio State

The coaching staff puts the team in a situation to win every game they play - that's been true from 2008 to the present - 37 total points in the 10 losses, none by more than a touchdown. That's pretty impressive.

On the other hand, as long as they're in that situation, we wonder why don't they just win those games? That's pretty frustrating.

It is a roller coaster of emotion being a Hawkeye football fan.

The coaching staff puts the team in a situation to win every game they play - that's been true from 2008 to the present - 37 total points in the 10 losses, none by more than a touchdown. That's pretty impressive.

On the other hand, as long as they're in that situation, we wonder why don't they just win those games? That's pretty frustrating.

It is a roller coaster of emotion being a Hawkeye football fan.

It's a game. Iowa fans think that we're the only team that exists on the field in close games. It's 50/50. Win some, lose some. End of story.

Latest posts