Why does the Big Ten need 12 teams to have a Championship Game?

Can someone answer this question? How about one unbalanced division or the top two teams in a single table playing each other with a bunch of different tie-breakers to decide in the event of ties?

It doesn't. How about a round robin? That makes the most sense to me. Everyone plays everyone and you have a true champion. The Pac-10 does it. You don't hear anyone call them out for not having a championship game. Coach Ferentz has mentioned that he is in favor of this numerous times.

It doesn't. How about a round robin? That makes the most sense to me. Everyone plays everyone and you have a true champion. The Pac-10 does it. You don't hear anyone call them out for not having a championship game. Coach Ferentz has mentioned that he is in favor of this numerous times.

For me its more about having another game and extra attention...the Big Ten is getting lost while the media is 1)hyping up the championship game for two weeks 2) actually playing the game in primetime, national coverage with no other games competing with it

Question for you. Who would have been the two teams that would have played for the 1990 Big Ten Championship then?

It is not possible to tell without establishing the tie-breaker rules first. Also, there was no BCS standings in 1990 which conferences now use as one of their farther down tie-breaks...Another point that im not sure about how were D-1AA teams handled back then in terms of counting on a record? Did D-1 teams even play D-1AA teams back then? No ISU jokes here please...

NCAA regulations only permit conferences with at least 12 members organized into two divisions to hold football championship games.

Latest posts