Why does Lickliter DESERVE to keep his job?

Sobi5

This is for all of the lickliter supporters. I just want to see if you can come up with any good reasons for him to keep his job besides, "Oh, he's just a really good guy."

Just my opinions, but:

1. The team was better this year than last year. Actually, quite a bit.
2. The defections have affected the success of the team more than any other single factor. (IF more key players leave this year, however, then I would support making a change.)
3. Recruiting appears to be improving. Actually, quite a bit.

Not what was asked, but: I think the program would be served worse by making a change after 3 years than waiting for another season.

Obviously a lot of people aren't going to agree with the above, but it's what I think...and I have been through Schuerrman, Miller, Schultz, Olson, Raveling, Davis, and Alford. So at least I've got some years, for whatever that's worth.

Nice job Braveheart! Where were you when the discussions were actually heated, Captain This Thread Was My First Post?

Even the staunchest of Lick supporters are pretty much convinced it's over and looking forward to the new era of Hawkeye Basketball.

Fossil...If you've lived through that many coaches, you clearly get the award for the best screen name on HawkeyeNation.....that's awesome!

Just my opinions, but:

1. The team was better this year than last year. Actually, quite a bit.
2. The defections have affected the success of the team more than any other single factor. (IF more key players leave this year, however, then I would support making a change.)
3. Recruiting appears to be improving. Actually, quite a bit.

Not what was asked, but: I think the program would be served worse by making a change after 3 years than waiting for another season.

Obviously a lot of people aren't going to agree with the above, but it's what I think...and I have been through Schuerrman, Miller, Schultz, Olson, Raveling, Davis, and Alford. So at least I've got some years, for whatever that's worth.

I agree with much of the above. I also think making a change now doesn't get us any closer to consistently winning. I also think Lick is not coming back at this point either. I think the player's parents (if that's who it was) who started this rumor and subsequent meltdown have caused too much damage at this point. But to answer the OP's question:
1.) IF NOBODY else transfers, he should keep his job. If the Fuller, Gatens stuff is true, then he should be let go.
2.) He was the coach that got new facilities, strength/conditioning coach approved. What role he had, don't know, but it didn't happen with Davis/Alford.
3.) Recruiting seems to be remarkably better. I think this is ONE OF the best recruiting classes we've had in a decade, and they seem to support him.
4.) I liked the way his Butler teams played basketball. I would for one would like to see what he can do with his own players.

Because Barta hired him. Lickliter is Barta's hire.

I haven't done the research, but I bet 95%+ of non-NCAA violation hire/fire situation's over the last 20 years, in which the AD who hired the coach also fired the coach, ended up lasting longer than 4 years.

Again, I didn't actually run the numbers.... but Lickliter hasn't even been here 4 years yet. So the odds of him being fired are very slim based on hypothetical historical data.

I cannot think of a single area of the bb operation in which Lick has excelled.
Selling the program?- no
recruiting? no
on court strategy?no
winning?-no
off court issues?-no
attendance?-no
engaging students fan base?-no

If he had excelled at a single one of these areas,maybe you could make a case.

Latest posts