Why an alum won't be cheering the Domers in the NC game

kmajhawk

Good column that goes straight to a dark corner of big time college athletics and campus security. And this has nothing to do with the film student killed when the portable lift blew over in high winds.

Why I won’t be cheering for old Notre Dame

Well, since you asked — and many of my friends have, some more than once — no, I will not be cheering for my alma mater, the University of Notre Dame, to win big-time college football’s championship on Jan. 7. What’s really surprising me are those who believe as I do that two players on the team have committed serious criminal acts – sexual assault in one case, and rape in another — but assumed that I’d support the team anyway, just as they are.
“Aren’t you just a little bit excited?†one asked the other day. There are plenty of good guys on the team, too, I’m repeatedly told. And oh, that Manti Te’o is inspiring. I don’t doubt it. But as a thought exercise, how many predators would have to be on the team before you’d no longer feel like cheering?...

..Any mention of their coach murdering a student?

Good column that goes straight to a dark corner of big time college athletics and campus security. And this has nothing to do with the film student killed when the portable lift blew over in high winds. ??? :eek:

heard an interview with Theisman the other day (think he was on the Herd or something) and he referred to a few "bumps in the road in the first year with coach Kelly". i guess a student death that easily could have been prevented is now just a bump in the road. also, Floyd's 3 DUI's apparently weren't enough to get a suspension of any type. but hey, you can win if you lower the standards. we'll see if ND fans, alumni, and admin are willing to go that route for winning.

this is how "big time athletics" go now. if you want to compete for championships, you've got to be willing to bend the rules. see coach Cal at Kentucky and Chiz-bag for examples. just how it is.

btw, do we get to consider that whole rhabdo thing as a bump in the road? or is that only when you're winning that they're called that?

Good column that goes straight to a dark corner of big time college athletics and campus security. And this has nothing to do with the film student killed when the portable lift blew over in high winds.

Why I won’t be cheering for old Notre Dame

Well, since you asked — and many of my friends have, some more than once — no, I will not be cheering for my alma mater, the University of Notre Dame, to win big-time college football’s championship on Jan. 7. What’s really surprising me are those who believe as I do that two players on the team have committed serious criminal acts – sexual assault in one case, and rape in another — but assumed that I’d support the team anyway, just as they are.
“Aren’t you just a little bit excited?” one asked the other day. There are plenty of good guys on the team, too, I’m repeatedly told. And oh, that Manti Te’o is inspiring. I don’t doubt it. But as a thought exercise, how many predators would have to be on the team before you’d no longer feel like cheering?...

Whoever wrote this sounds like a real loser. Hope he can see the title game from all the way up on his high horse.

heard an interview with Theisman the other day (think he was on the Herd or something) and he referred to a few "bumps in the road in the first year with coach Kelly". i guess a student death that easily could have been prevented is now just a bump in the road. also, Floyd's 3 DUI's apparently weren't enough to get a suspension of any type. but hey, you can win if you lower the standards. we'll see if ND fans, alumni, and admin are willing to go that route for winning.

this is how "big time athletics" go now. if you want to compete for championships, you've got to be willing to bend the rules. see coach Cal at Kentucky and Chiz-bag for examples. just how it is.

btw, do we get to consider that whole rhabdo thing as a bump in the road? or is that only when you're winning that they're called that?

You don't know the backstory behind those DUI's. What if Floyd was the least drunk of all the people he was with? Isn't that the kind of responsible leadership you want from your star player?

sounds more like a dude with perspective. there are more important things than winning.

I dunno, I still cheer for Iowa even though we have had all the arrests and rapes and almost killing a bunch of players. At least ND went through it and can win some games.

#castingthefirststone

If the honchos at noter lame, including drunky McKelly the coach, and the entire fanbase would just stop pretending they are "better" than every other school & program in the universe, nobody would go out of their way to slag them.
But since they are incapable of seeing/admitting who and what they really are, the flames will continue to be pointed toward south benderp.

If the honchos at noter lame, including drunky McKelly the coach, and the entire fanbase would just stop pretending they are "better" than every other school & program in the universe, nobody would go out of their way to slag them.
But since they are incapable of seeing/admitting who and what they really are, the flames will continue to be pointed toward south benderp.

Why would they stop when they are one game away from proving that they are?

I dunno, I still cheer for Iowa even though we have had all the arrests and rapes and almost killing a bunch of players. At least ND went through it and can win some games.

#castingthefirststone

Notre Dame = 35th in Fulmer Cup Dynasty. Iowa is better than them at 14th so your stone casting is appreciated. GO HAWKS. Bielema is taking over Arkansas who is first, big question, can he maintain that?

Latest posts