Who's seen Gonzaga play this year?

I

Ian Pike Hammer

What kind of defense do they play? (M-2-M, mostly zone, etc...)

You are Mark Few. The difference in made 3 FG% between you and Iowa is HUGE!
Do you play mostly man to man and guard the 3, or try to double (or triple!) Garza?

Start in zone.
Double team Garza with two bigs.
Have his man go to the hole hard and often to create foul trouble.
When Garza gets his second go to close man to invite/force penetration and prevent shots.

I watched some of the Kansas and Auburn games. Timme is a really good forward but can't compete offensively with Garza and not a rim protector. Good post moves, average rebounder for size. Suggs is very important to game control. Kispert perhaps best overall player, a hard guard for us.
They remind me of a good Wisconsin team. They're beatable but you got to go out and beat them.

I watched some of the Kansas and Auburn games. Timme is a really good forward but can't compete offensively with Garza and not a rim protector. Good post moves, average rebounder for size. Suggs is very important to game control. Kispert perhaps best overall player, a hard guard for us.
They remind me of a good Wisconsin team. They're beatable but you got to go out and beat them.
Good stuff! Looks to me like they are not as prolific 3 pt shooters as we are, which, if we are hot, is a major problem for them. Hard to stuff the lane with defenders on Garza and guard the outside shooters at the same time.
Yeah, Suggs is an assist machine at 6 per game; can score some too.
Our rebounding, turnover margin and more steal per game should provide us with a few more possessions.

They've certainly got all the pieces. Suggs has looked the most impressive to me especially as a freshman. He would have looked real good at Iowa.

They've certainly got all the pieces. Suggs has looked the most impressive to me especially as a freshman. He would have looked real good at Iowa.
Woulda been a heck of a QB too... Kid is special. We wanted him just never had a chance I don't think.

They appear to be "paint" oriented, with Timme, Kispert and Forward Ayla, who led them in scoring last game. If Garza gets in foul trouble (which should be their game plan) we will need Murray and Nunge to be at their best.

What kind of defense do they play? (M-2-M, mostly zone, etc...)

You are Mark Few. The difference in made 3 FG% between you and Iowa is HUGE!
Do you play mostly man to man and guard the 3, or try to double (or triple!) Garza?

If I am Mark Few I man up and force Iowa to generate offense with dribble drive penetration. Make Jbo be a facilitator with him having to create off the dribble.

If I am Mark Few I man up and force Iowa to generate offense with dribble drive penetration. Make Jbo be a facilitator with him having to create off the dribble.
Good luck with that. CJ, JT, & JW, PM, will rip them up.

This is what I would also do. Zags have some athletes for guards. I don't think they will be afraid to play man. I would try to attack Garza on offense every time hoping for foul trouble. Their guards are what scare me most. They get to the rim pretty easy.

They looked very good earlier this year. Starting 5 doesn't have many weaknesses. Should be a good match up. We create a lot of problems for other teams. Curious to see what the time off did to them without practicing. I think this gives us an edge that we have played games lately. They are a very good team and deserving of the #1 until Saturday.

Latest posts