Whine if you will ... but the facts are pretty obvious

homerHAWKeye777

You don't win against a quality opponent when you don't execute consistently.

People can complain about Iowa's D as much as they want ... but, to me, the execution on O was want really sunk us. They didn't help keep the D off the field.

Furthermore, when we're driving down the field and then we throw a pick .... that was the changing moment in the game. If we simply are patient and even just settle for the FG ... we win the game.

Frustrating ... but I still love this Hawkeye team.

Sometimes you just have to take your lumps as a fan ... and then look to the future.

I certainly believe the lack of execution was a big factor (and has been in all of our losses), and it was the biggest reason today. But the defense has failed to come through in the clutch more often than not this year. They aren't THE reason for the losses, but they have to shoulder some of the blame too.

I don't like this team...I like the players though...very frustrating to watch on TV. They just seem to be missing something this year...a Mitch King or Pat Angerer personality. Very bizarre

I agree homer. Iowa's 2-14 on third down conversion is the stat of the game.

2/14 is very telling, but it's less about that conversion rate and more about the decisions that resulted in those numbers. Definitely some questionable / conservative calls that led to the 2/14.

I don't like this team...I like the players though...very frustrating to watch on TV. They just seem to be missing something this year...a Mitch King or Pat Angerer personality. Very bizarre

It's not even a personality. That's sugar-coating it. This team is missing a VOCAL leader. Stanzi is an excellent leader by example, and will shoulder blame after losses, etc. But there doesn't seem to be that leader that gets the team fired up like King did.

Iowa had chances to put away Michigan, Wisconsin (fake punt), Indiana, and Northwestern but the offense turned it over on downs. You can't put everything on your defense every game especially against offenses that don't match up well with you.

Its very disappointing that we can't put teams away unless we get on them early. I just really question our game management at this point. We spiked the ball twice when we didn't need to in this game. 1st half when we had two timeouts and last drive when we should have had 2 plays called. Its really frustrating. And thats just one example.

I think Ferentz is great and I support him as the coach of Iowa because I will take the success we are having over the alternative. But I really question his ability to do some things that one of the highest paid coach in the country should handle without any question. He needs to realize this and fix it instead of realizing it and covering up the problems by taking the blame.

Iowa's D can't stop a team in the fourth quarter, they give up 3rd down conversions to any team that wants them. The offense likes to commit penalties in the Red Zone. So much potential and now its time for Iowa to go begging for a decent bowl bid.

Look out Detroit! Iowa is heading to the Motor City Bowl!

I agree whole heartedly. The offense absolutely is the weak link of this years team. I love what Stanzi has done for our university, but I still think that he is a liability for this offense. I don't care what his stats are. He's a poor decision maker and can't throw a deep ball. If Drew Tate had Stanzi's weapons you can bet your *** we'd be undefeated. We've never had skill position players like we have now at Iowa.

On the other hand, I can understand where some people are coming from in complaining about the D. But let's face it, our LB's and CB's are average. Sure Morris has potential but there's no Angerer in the group. I still cant believe our corners are the two best we have to choose from. The front 4 can't carry the whole D.

I do think as an Athletic Director it's fair to start wondering how long you allow our coordinators to be a liability. I love Norm to death but I do believe there's a connection between his absence and our performance on that side of the ball at times this year. When you pay a coach 4.5 million a year it's ok, as his boss to ask a couple tough questions. I don't want KF to go anywhere, but it's not ok to lose to Northwestern. The players weren't up for the game and it was truly uninspiring football.

You don't win against a quality opponent when you don't execute consistently.

People can complain about Iowa's D as much as they want ... but, to me, the execution on O was want really sunk us. They didn't help keep the D off the field.

Furthermore, when we're driving down the field and then we throw a pick .... that was the changing moment in the game. If we simply are patient and even just settle for the FG ... we win the game.

Frustrating ... but I still love this Hawkeye team.

Sometimes you just have to take your lumps as a fan ... and then look to the future.

Hard time convincing anyone that a team that lost to Purdue, and barely beat Central Michigan, Vanderbilt and Minnesota is a quality opponent.

Some folks forget that it's not who you get beat by ... or how you win. It's whether you win AND whether you improve as the season progresses.

Aside from poor tackling against PSU, Northwestern hadn't been playing bad ball more recently. Anyhow, it's really too bad for them that Persa got injured.

Homer, I agree with you for the most part, and I'm a die-hard hawkeye til death. I was at the game today (just got home). I agree about Iowa not executing, and it's killing us.

However, I don't think it's whining to be irritated with the fact that Northwestern absolutely owns us. Some of us are pretty competitive folks, and it's hard to sit in a partisan Iowa crowd at Ryan Field and watch the hawks pee away another victory. That's not whining. That's just where it is.

I'll be at the OSU and Minny games, and I'll be cheering loudly. However, fans deserve a little bit of "whining" or whatever if they were in attendance in the rain today. :)

BTW--I think PSU put up 5 unanswered second half touchdowns against them just 8 days ago.

You can score on NU. They'll get their points but you have to score more than 2 TDs if you want to beat them.

Latest posts