Which loss would you most like as a "do-over"?

Which 2013 loss would you most like to replay?

• 8/31 Northern Illinois 30-27

Votes: 37 64.9%
  • 10/5 Michigan State 26-14

Votes: 9 15.8%
  • 10/19 @ Ohio State 34-24

Votes: 7 12.3%
  • 11/2 Wisconsin 28-9

Votes: 4 7.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

tweeterhawk

If Iowa had the chance to replay one of its four losses, which one would you prefer? If played again now, which one do you think would most likely end differently and give Iowa its ninth win? Which potential loss-to-victory would most improve Iowa's ranking?

Last edited:
If Iowa had the chance to replay one of its four losses, which one would you prefer? If played again now, which one do you think would most likely end differently? Which potential loss-to-victory would most improve Iowa's ranking?

N. Illinois would be he most winnable so I would pick that one.
As far as which game would improve Iowa's ranking, that is a no-brainer. Winning at OSU would be that game, and it's not even close.

My vote would be/is Michigan State. Iowa led at halftime 14-10, but two Jake Rudock interceptions proved to be costly. Clean those up, bring the type of defensive pressure we saw at Lincoln, give Canzeri more carries, I think this could have been an Iowa victory.

A close second would be Northern Illinois, where the Huskies' interception with 1:17 left set up the game-winning field goal. Iowa had the ball at its own 45 with a chance to drive in a minute and a half to within field goal distance but Jimmie Ward jumped an out route to KMM and returned the ball to the Iowa 30, eventually leading to the FG.

I picked NIU because it was right there for the taking...30 yards from FG range and a pick turned it from a last second win to a last second loss.

I went with MSU. A win puts Iowa at 6 and 2 with an outside chance that Minnesota beats MSU today. That puts Iowa in as champs of the Legends.

I picked NIU for much the same reasons others did. I think NIU is a very good team, but beatable if we played today. The other teams are still quite a bit better than us - we'd need lucky breaks to beat them.

I went with MSU. A win puts Iowa at 6 and 2 with an outside chance that Minnesota beats MSU today. That puts Iowa in as champs of the Legends.

^ I like your logic, but I'm afraid MSU would just beat us up pretty good again.

If we beat Michigan State, we are still alive for the B1G championship game. Probably wouldn't make it, we would need some unlikely help from Minnesota who might not score on MSU, but it would be cool to have a chance at this point in the year.

I picked MSU because it was an in-division game. Granted if we beat MSU all things would have probably shook out to be MSU with a 7-1 record and Iowa with a 6-2 record but wow, that 6-2 big 10 record and 9-3 overall would look way better than the really good 8-4 we are at right now.

Overall you would want the hawks to be the giant killers beating OSU. If you beat OSU at columbus then losses to NIU look a little bit like Iowa not playing to their potential and early season stub your toe.

NIU was the most winnable. Iowa with 300 yards in the first half and 24 points only to have a bit of bad second half

I applied the win one / loose one theory. That's the theory that the Hawks win one game each season they shouldn't and loose one that they should have won. Therefore the "loose one" applied in this case was clearly NIU.

My second choice would have to be tOSU. We suffered some growing pains on D in that one. The Hawks were a better team, even with the loss, afterwards. I believe the DL's gap assignment play improved dramatically after the trip to Columbus.

Good teams learn from their mistakes. By that measure this year's Hawkeyes are a good team. Didn't see any of the "usual" mistakes yesterday. They looked like a class program on national TV.

NIU.

It was winnable then and it is definitely winnable now.....not so sure about the other 3.

My pick is MSU. As others have stated it was a divisional game. While I dislike MSU, Wisky and OSU with equal passion, MSU was a divisional game and I just don't think the OSU game would have turned out differently. I dislike both MSU and OSU coaches equally, though.

I'd like to see us play MSU again. I'm not sure we would win, and I believe MSU will give tOSU everything they can handle, but in terms of offensive improvement, and mostly offensive line improvement, this would be a good measure. Also, MSU seems to have aggressive defensive "sorta" penalties not called.

Again, I think 3 years is what GD gets before passing judgment. I think the trend toward recruiting faster defensive players designed at more strategic blitzing also gets 3 years.

With respect to wide receivers, we did rid ourselves of a coach last season IIRC. I'm not sure how I feel about progress there.

NIU, although Iowa was in the lead in three of the four games (down 7-6 vs. WI) at the half.
Losing to a MAC school sucks, especially when they are one hour away from Chicago and you have to hear about it from their alum.

Fake punt play was very costly. I think IOWA would beat them by 14 if they replayed that game today.

NIU .... We were vastly better than that team. Lynch was a really good player and they had a few guys that were solid but I think they finish 8th or 9th in the B1G at best.

We lost that game as a result of the lack of confidence stemming from the debacle the year before. You could just feel the lack of confidence on how to finish in the stadium. I left that game very disheartened as I felt like we had better personnel.

I would love to play them again in a bowl game although that would never happen as I believe we beat them by at least 14 points now.

Latest posts