Where's the scoring come from?

I

Ian Pike Hammer

It's prolly a given that our top 2 scorers will be Weiscamp and Garza [to me, anyway]. So who will be that vital 3rd, go-to guy, that provides offense? Just my guess, but I'm gonna lean toward CJ Frederick. From all I've read, he's having good practices and will be our starting SG. Your thoughts?

I think it's a pretty high chance Wieskamp and Garza are your top 2 scorers. It wouldn't surprise me if Garza ends up being the top scorer. He averaged 2 more points a game last year than Joe did and to me appeared less hesitant to let it fly. Advanced stats agree with my eyes, Garza averaged 7 more shots and about 9 more points per 100 possessions than Joe. All indications are that Joe is ready to step up his game though, so we'll see how much more aggressive he is with the increased touches that will be coming his way.

As for who will be #3? I think that's a good question. I can see a path for pretty much everyone on scholarship outside of Till being that guy.

Nunge/Pemsl/Kriener - Will any of them emerge and get enough minutes with the other two also vying for the starting spot and rotation minutes in the post?
  • Nunge - Will he live up to and show the potential many on this board believe he has as a stretch 4?
  • Pemsl - Is he the healthiest he's been since basically middle school and ready to elevate into a big time role or will he stick with being a solid rotation player?
  • Kriener - Several media people have indicated he's talked about becoming a leader this year. Will he grab the bull by the horns as a senior or will he continue to be what he has been, a solid rotation player?
McCaffery/Toussaint/Bohannon*- Barring a healthy Bohannon, will one of the other two pass first guys emerge as the clear #1 PG, yet alone get up enough shots?
  • McCaffery - Will he be less hesitant to let if fly from deep and shoot around 40% from 3 like he did in high school?
  • Toussaint - Will he be ready to step up and play big minutes or will he struggle? Does he have the ability to get buckets consistently at the Big Ten level?
  • Bohannon - He'll be top 3 if he's fully healthy and actually plays.

Fredrick/Evelyn/McCaffery - Will any of them emerge as the 2nd best off ball guard/wing option or will they split time fairly evenly?
  • Fredrick - Will he be the starting 2 or will he be coming off the bench? Is he more than a sharpshooter or is he another Ellingson/Oglesby type? Indications are he has a more rounded game, we'll see.
  • Evelyn - Is he healthy? Will he carve out starter minutes or will he be a rotation guy? Will he shoot 38% from 3 like he did as a SO at Valpo or 30% like he did last year?
  • McCaffery - How ready is Pat to contribute and be a consistent scorer at the Big Ten level? He appears to have the skill, will he have the strength? How many minutes does he end up actually averaging?

If I had to rank a top 3 on who will be the 3rd scorer off of gut feeling and how many minutes I think they will be getting, I'd probably go with:

1a. Evelyn - If he's healthy. The guy was a high volume shooter for Valpo and fairly efficient as a SO, not so much last year.
1b. Fredrick - If Evelyn isn't fully healthy, it has to be him, he'll have the best opportunity of consistent playing time.
3. Nunge - I really like Jack but I'm hesitant to list him at #1 with Pemsl and Kriener in the fold for solid minutes in the post.​

All in all, there are so many new pieces to work with that I wouldn't be surprised if several guys are basically tied for the #3 scoring spot. It should be a fun season to watch evolve as the rotation figures itself out.

Last edited:
I think it's a pretty high chance Wieskamp and Garza are your top 2 scorers. It wouldn't surprise me if Garza ends up being the top scorer. He averaged 2 more points a game last year than Joe did and to me appeared less hesitant to let it fly. Advanced stats agree with my eyes, Garza averaged 7 more shots and about 9 more points per 100 possessions than Joe. All indications are that Joe is ready to step up his game though, so we'll see how much more aggressive he is with the increased touches that will be coming his way.

As for who will be #3? I think that's a good question. I can see a path for pretty much everyone on scholarship outside of Till being that guy.

Nunge/Pemsl/Kriener - Will any of them emerge and get enough minutes with the other two also vying for the starting spot and rotation minutes in the post?
  • Nunge - Will he live up to and show the potential many on this board believe he has as a stretch 4?
  • Pemsl - Is he the healthiest he's been since basically middle school and ready to elevate into a big time role or will he stick with being a solid rotation player?
  • Kriener - Several media people have indicated he's talked about becoming a leader this year. Will he grab the bull by the horns as a senior or will he continue to be what he has been, a solid rotation player?
McCaffrey/Toussaint/Bohannon*- Barring a healthy Bohannon, will one of the other two pass first guys emerge as the clear #1 PG, yet alone get up enough shots?
  • McCaffrey - Will he be less hesitant to let if fly from deep and shoot around 40% from 3 like he did in high school?
  • Toussaint - Will he be ready to step up and play big minutes or will he struggle? Does he have the ability to get buckets consistently at the Big Ten level?

Fredrick/Evelyn/McCaffrey - Will any of them emerge as the 2nd best off ball guard/wing option or will they split time fairly evenly?
  • Fredrick - Will he be the starting 2 or will he be coming off the bench? Is he more than a sharpshooter or is he another Ellingson/Oglesby type? Indications are he has a more rounded game, we'll see.
  • Evelyn - Is he healthy? Will he carve out starter minutes or will he be a rotation guy? Will he shoot 38% from 3 like he did as a SO at Valpo or 30% like he did last year?
  • McCaffrey - How ready is Pat to contribute and be a consistent scorer at the Big Ten level? He appears to have the skill, will he have the strength? How many minutes does he end up actually averaging?

If I had to rank a top 3 on who will be the 3rd scorer off of gut feeling and how many minutes I think they will be getting, I'd probably go with:

1a. Evelyn - If he's healthy. The guy was a high volume shooter for Valpo and fairly efficient as a SO, not so much last year.
1b. Fredrick - If Evelyn isn't fully healthy, it has to be him, he'll have the best opportunity of consistent playing time.
3. Nunge - I really like Jack but I'm hesitant to list him at #1 with Pemsl and Kriener in the fold for solid minutes in the post.​

All in all, there are so many new pieces to work with that I wouldn't be surprised if several guys are basically tied for the #3 scoring spot. It should be a fun season to watch evolve as the rotation figures itself out.

nice, I enjoyed your break down

McCaffrey/Toussaint/Bohannon*- Barring a healthy Bohannon, will one of the other two pass first guys emerge as the clear #1 PG, yet alone get up enough shots?
  • McCaffrey - Will he be less hesitant to let if fly from deep and shoot around 40% from 3 like he did in high school?Great breakdown! It may benefit the Hawks if several of these players take turns at being a high scorer from game to game.

Fredrick/Evelyn/McCaffrey - Will any of them emerge as the 2nd best off ball guard/wing option or will they split time fairly evenly?
  • McCaffrey - How ready is Pat to contribute and be a consistent scorer at the Big Ten level? He appears to have the skill, will he have the strength? How many minutes does he end up actually averaging?

If the rest of the roster competes and flows within the offense, things will work out. It would benefit the Hawks if several players take turns at being THAT guy!

I would be shocked for Garza to average more than Joe W this season. Not that I don't think Luka will score plenty, but I expect Joe W to be the focal point of the offense and one of the higher scoring players in the league.

McCaffery/Toussaint/Bohannon*- Barring a healthy Bohannon, will one of the other two pass first guys emerge as the clear #1 PG, yet alone get up enough shots?
  • McCaffery - Will he be less hesitant to let if fly from deep and shoot around 40% from 3 like he did in high school?

Fredrick/Evelyn/McCaffery - Will any of them emerge as the 2nd best off ball guard/wing option or will they split time fairly evenly?
  • McCaffery - How ready is Pat to contribute and be a consistent scorer at the Big Ten level? He appears to have the skill, will he have the strength? How many minutes does he end up actually averaging?

I would take the exact opposite thought process on Garza vs Wieskamp. Garza’s minutes aren’t likely to increase much given his size and how hard he plays. Joe Wieskamp will probably play in the 32 minute range per night and will take a much more aggressive scoring role this year, so more minutes and more shots per minute. I’ll take Wieskamp as the leading scorer just edging out Garza but both right around 15-16 per game.

I would be shocked for Garza to average more than Joe W this season. Not that I don't think Luka will score plenty, but I expect Joe W to be the focal point of the offense and one of the higher scoring players in the league.

Joe will definitely be the focal point. I think he'll be the top scorer, I just wouldn't dismiss the chance of Garza ending up there. Teams will focus in on Joe and he's is a selfless team player. We'll see how aggressive he is vs deferring to open teammates.

I would take the exact opposite thought process on Garza vs Wieskamp. Garza’s minutes aren’t likely to increase much given his size and how hard he plays. Joe Wieskamp will probably play in the 32 minute range per night and will take a much more aggressive scoring role this year, so more minutes and more shots per minute. I’ll take Wieskamp as the leading scorer just edging out Garza but both right around 15-16 per game.

I agree, I think Joe will be the top guy. I'm just saying don't dismiss the chance of Garza being the top guy due to Joe being a team player and deferring to open teammates.

Wieskamp- 15
Garza- 15
Frederick- 10
Nunge- 8
Kriener- 6
Toussaint- 6
Pemsl- 6
C McCaffery- 5
Evelyn- 5
P McCaffery- 4

That’s about 80 points a game. Again Iowa won’t have any issues with scoring I don’t imagine, as with the last few years it will come down to limiting the opponent from scoring.

Joe will definitely be the focal point. I think he'll be the top scorer, I just wouldn't dismiss the chance of Garza ending up there. Teams will focus in on Joe and he's is a selfless team player. We'll see how aggressive he is vs deferring to open teammates.

I definitely don't dismiss that notion at all. I am BIG on Garza - by far my favorite player on the team since he arrived in IC. I also think a summer with conditioning, another year older, stronger and wiser, he's in line for a big season. I know he's too slow for the NBA, but I'll be shocked if he's not a guy who "test's the water" next season after it's all said and done. Big guys that can shoot always have at least a shot. I just think Joe W, like Nike21 said, is going to have way more opportunities. I think he deferred to his team mates a lot last season because that team had a lot of options to score, he was a freshman getting acclimated to the speed of college ball and even then he still put up bigger numbers than I really had slated in my head. Joe is used to being "the guy" - he was that and more in HS for his team, so it's not like he hasn't played that role before.

I definitely don't dismiss that notion at all. I am BIG on Garza - by far my favorite player on the team since he arrived in IC. I also think a summer with conditioning, another year older, stronger and wiser, he's in line for a big season. I know he's too slow for the NBA, but I'll be shocked if he's not a guy who "test's the water" next season after it's all said and done. Big guys that can shoot always have at least a shot. I just think Joe W, like Nike21 said, is going to have way more opportunities. I think he deferred to his team mates a lot last season because that team had a lot of options to score, he was a freshman getting acclimated to the speed of college ball and even then he still put up bigger numbers than I really had slated in my head. Joe is used to being "the guy" - he was that and more in HS for his team, so it's not like he hasn't played that role before.

For sure. The ball will be in Joe's hands a lot more this year. It should be fun to see his game evolve as he starts to attack/create more vs spotting up.