Where does Iowa rank in Forward depth?

DowsHawk1

I watch a lot of basketball, but without doing any research I have to believe that our depth at forward is right at the top. White, Uthoff, McCabe, and Basabe have all shown that they can play at a high level. The amount of production and the different looks and skill sets that we can throw at other teams will be the strength of the team this season. Of course Dev can slide to the three as could Peter and we do have options at the four in Meyer and Gabe but I don't see us going beyond the 4 mentioned in highly contested games.

Are there other teams that you can think of that have great forwards and could be considered for having similar depth?

I watch a lot of basketball, but without doing any research I have to believe that our depth at forward is right at the top. White, Uthoff, McCabe, and Basabe have all shown that they can play at a high level. The amount of production and the different looks and skill sets that we can throw at other teams will be the strength of the team this season. Of course Dev can slide to the three as could Peter and we do have options at the four in Meyer and Gabe but I don't see us going beyond the 4 mentioned in highly contested games.

Are there other teams that you can think of that have great forwards and could be considered for having similar depth?

These guys are good. All of them can handle the ball quite well, all of them have good hands and wiry strength.

Love this team!

YES! Several teams in the Big Ten, ACC, etc... We are a rising team but let's not get too giddy about our supposed depth. McCabe is a nice player, but wait til we hit the big boys in our schedule. He is over matched down low and not quick enough to take Big Ten players off the bounce. Olaseni is still very raw. Jok is even more raw and seems to have heavy feet. Basabe, White and Uthoff are legit Big Ten forwards and they are fun to watch.

And your mention of Meyer as an option at the 4 made me fall out of my chair laughing. Credibility = 0

I am happy with Meyer's play at the end of the rotation. He has a pretty good 3 ball for being a big and he can handle the ball well for his size.

Educate me Jonny. What Big Ten teams have the forward depth the Hawks do. Help me out with the names of the forwards you're thinking of. Thanks.

Just using your ranking I'm wondering who the 4th forwards are for these teams that are more proven and better than McCabe. I'm guessing you aren't including Marble ever at the three. I'm certainly with you that I don't think Gabe, Jok, or Meyer see time at forward when the competition picks up either but in a crunch they could play so I included them and noted that I didn't think they would see the floor.

I don't know. No one in the Big 10 wanted White or Basabe and probably not McCabe. It's been pointed out on this site numerous times that Fran can't recruit and can't get the big names to come to Iowa. When combining the fact that no one wanted these guys and Fran can't recruit it's hard to imagine them ranking very high.

Unless of course player rankings aren't everything. Perhaps guys can get 1 Big 10 offer and still be high caliber contributors or even star players. Maybe a coach that sees heart and talent can actually develop that individual into a Big 10 player. This is a tough question for those that like to knock Fran around a bit.

Personally, I would put Iowa as a clear #1 in the conference when it comes to Forward depth. But I also think Fran can recruit and develop players so what do I know.

I think Iowa has the best forward depth of any team in the BIG. Not even close.

The depth is good but I'm still unsure about the physical strength in the post and the athleticism. White can match up athletically with anyone but McCabe is limited athletically. Uthoff has good athleticism but I wonder about his strength when facing major conference teams. Are the shots he gets now going to be there when going up against players like McGary, Amir Williams, Dekker, Egwu, Costello, etc.? We already have an idea as to those answers with Basabe, White, McCabe.

I think I'd rather have Paine and Dawson if I could only have two, but my point was we have great depth and depending on how the fouls play out this year we could wind up with the most production out of the forward spots of any team.

I understand your concern about JU's strength, but he strikes me as a fighter for the ball when it's on the glass and his strength may not be as big an issue if the game is cleaned up. I'm pretty comfortable with any of the 4 on the court and trust Fran will wisely match them up to best use their individual skills.

YES! Several teams in the Big Ten, ACC, etc... We are a rising team but let's not get too giddy about our supposed depth. McCabe is a nice player, but wait til we hit the big boys in our schedule. He is over matched down low and not quick enough to take Big Ten players off the bounce. Olaseni is still very raw. Jok is even more raw and seems to have heavy feet. Basabe, White and Uthoff are legit Big Ten forwards and they are fun to watch.

And your mention of Meyer as an option at the 4 made me fall out of my chair laughing. Credibility = 0

McCabe was over matched playing the 5 but I really like him at the 4. I think he actually is quick enough to drive on some of the other 4s that guard him and can stroke the 3 enough to make him dangerous.

I guess mark me down as one of the probably few that anticipate a great year from Zach. I've said it in other threads but I wouldn't be shocked if he lead the team in 3 pt % and perhaps even a shot at leading in 3 pt fgs made.

Latest posts