When will we hear details on the upcoming season

InGoodCo

We have a start date - today it came out that over 8 exempt tournaments are being moved to Disney's Orlando Bubble. Iowa isn't a part of any of those, so it's curious to me what, how and if they do any sort of OOC scheduling, what that will look like and where it will be held. I can only imagine that a lot of Iowa's buy games aren't happening this season. Typically there are rumors abound and typically there is leaks of info or smoke that might indicate what to expect. Anyone hearing anything at all about Iowa's season to come?

This is all I've found.

5:40 PM, SEPTEMBER 16, 2020
DI Council: Men’s and women’s basketball seasons to start Nov. 25

According to the committees, this move was designed to begin competition "when at least three-quarters of Division I institutions will have either concluded their fall terms or moved remaining instruction and exams online creating a more controlled and less populated campus environment that may reduce the risk of COVID-19 ..."

Here are some of the schedule changes made for the 2020-21 season:

Practice can begin on Wednesday, Oct. 14.
Teams will not be able to play more than 27 regular season games.
That is a four-game decrease from 2019.
Programs must also play a minimum of 13 regular season games.
There will not be any exhibitions or scrimmages played.
The Division I Council recommended a minimum of four non-conference games.
Programs can begin preseason practice on Wednesday, Oct. 14.
This is a 42-day window to conduct 30 practices at most.
Exhibitions and scrimmages before Nov. 25 will not be allowed.
There are three scheduling options in DI men's basketball.
24 regular-season games and up to three games in one multi-team event.
25 regular-season games and up to two games in one multi-team event.
25 regular-season games without playing in a multi-team event.
There are two scheduling options in DI women's basketball.
23 regular-season games and up to four additional games in one multi-team event.
25 regular-season games without participating in a multi-team event.
Teams must play a minimum of 13 games against DI opponents to be considered for NCAA championship selection.
A transition period will take place from Sept. 21 to Oct. 13 between out-of-season activity and preseason practice.
Teams may partake in conditioning, sport-related meetings and skill instruction for up to 12 hours a week.
Skill instruction may not exceed eight hours a week. Athletes must receive two days per week during this period.
“The new season start date near the Thanksgiving holiday provides the optimal opportunity to successfully launch the basketball season,” NCAA Senior Vice President of Basketball Dan Gavitt said in the release. “It is a grand compromise of sorts and a unified approach that focuses on the health and safety of student-athletes competing towards the 2021 Division I basketball championships.”

Good question. A lot of logistics to be worked out if they're going to bubbles, which I think they will. Hoping they hold a non-con bubble at The Well in Des Moines. That would give us a chance to see Iowa State, Drake and UNI. I could also see something in Omaha with Creighton hosting, but that would probably include Nebraska and not Iowa.

Good question. A lot of logistics to be worked out if they're going to bubbles, which I think they will. Hoping they hold a non-con bubble at The Well in Des Moines. That would give us a chance to see Iowa State, Drake and UNI. I could also see something in Omaha with Creighton hosting, but that would probably include Nebraska and not Iowa.

I really really really wanna see Iowa and Creighton play this season, it seemed like they were on a crash course for that to happen in the Gavitt. I was hopeful for some sort of tournament to have Iowa, UNI, ISU, Creighton, K-state, the Dakota schools... but you're probably right, if we gotta invite Nebraska it might not work since we'll likely see them twice during conference. I really think there is a bubble plan being worked on behind the scenes, I'm just shocked more of it isn't leaking out or more rumors. We're less than a month from the start of practice and these teams don't even really know what they are practicing for. Ya gotta assume something comes out "soon".

UNI and other MVC schools are releasing conference schedules today. Looks like they're planning on league games being on campus.

I bet they will do bubble tournaments before Christmas for a truncated non-con. Then, after Christmas go to a conference slate on campuses with no crowds.

I bet they will do bubble tournaments before Christmas for a truncated non-con. Then, after Christmas go to a conference slate on campuses with no crowds.

This seems the most likely and you see a lot of those pre-season tournaments either getting cancelled or moved to the states...but those were already planned. Iowa didn't have one of those THIS season. I am curious if they can still sneak into something. I mean, who wouldn't want to have top 5 Iowa in their pre-season bubble tournament? You would think that there would be a ton of interested parties in that.

I can't wait to see the Battle for Atlantis on the beautiful sandy beaches of South Dakota. Or the Maui invitational taking place in North Carolina. I'm stoked.

I'm hoping they do a Big Four bubble in Des Moines and add teams to that mix for the non-conference.

Maybe bring in Missouri or Marquette with some mid to low majors. Iowa, Iowa State and Missouri/Marquette each get two high major non-con games against each other.

Would probably need to avoid other MVC teams so Drake and UNI aren't tripling up against league foes.

Maybe I'll write a blog post coming up with a hypothetical scenario. ;)

I'm hoping they do a Big Four bubble in Des Moines and add teams to that mix for the non-conference.

Maybe bring in Missouri or Marquette with some mid to low majors. Iowa, Iowa State and Missouri/Marquette each get two high major non-con games against each other.

Would probably need to avoid other MVC teams so Drake and UNI aren't tripling up against league foes.

Maybe I'll write a blog post coming up with a hypothetical scenario. ;)

I would read it and I don't read much (I digest Podcast and talk radio a lot more for sports) - but know that if you do, the schedule will get dropped within 24 hours of it haha. Just how this crazy world works right now. The fact that not a lot has been announced yet leads me to think there are still a lot of unknowns and not a lot of leadership from the top down directing how things will go.... also a sign of our times.

I put something together. When I was editing, Rothstein tweeted that ACC-B1G is a go on campuses. Had to switch it up. I still think there will be non-con bubbles.

I put something together. When I was editing, Rothstein tweeted that ACC-B1G is a go on campuses. Had to switch it up. I still think there will be non-con bubbles.

"Several power conferences expected to be included"

Creighton, UNO, K State, Iowa State?

I just really hope while some schools line up awesome MTE tourney's for this OOC and Iowa has Roast Beef State, Chatanooga Forester and The East Moline All-stars. This is coming from someone who regularly defends Iowa's scheduling. I mean, we are top 5 team in the country, these things are fluid and still be planned out right now on short notice, you would think these MTE tournaments that are popping up would be dying to include that type of trophy. A top 5 team with a POY candidate? They probably aren't all lining up to come to IC tho like I TOTALLY believe they could be lining up to play in Lincoln.

I heard on a podcast that McCaffery thinks there will still be a 20 game conference schedule plus the ACC/B1G Challenge, the Iowa St. game, the Oregon St. game in Sioux City, and a Hawkeye Challenge Tournament here in IC. He wasn't sure about the Gavitt Games.

BTW, he also mentioned that his son Jack is 6'5" going into 8th grade.

Latest posts