When will Iowa announce it's last 2016-2017 OOC opponent?

InGoodCo

SIAP,

but it seems like Iowa typically plays one other BCS team in the OOC besides the annual Cy-Hawk series. With other West teams like Wisci ( LSU twice, Bama, Wash, BYU) and Nebraska scheduling (Miami and OR) over the next 5 years, when should we expect this announcement for 2016-2017? At this late in the game, what kind of teams are out there to schedule that have any sort of appeal? Has there been any cancellations that I missed? What's happening with this? Any help would be appreciated.

With the BoneG going to nine conference games and Iowa handcuffed into a yearly deal with clownU go ahead a kiss the prospect of ever seeing another non-con BCS team again...evah...

With the BoneG going to nine conference games and Iowa handcuffed into a yearly deal with clownU go ahead a kiss the prospect of ever seeing another non-con BCS team again...evah...

This. Iowa's schedule for 2016 and 2017 are set in stone at this point. There isn't going to be a 2nd non-con BCS opponent either year. I guess we can take solace in the fact that Iowa will play an extra Big Ten opponent those years.

Nebraska and Wisconsin have the same constraints but they continue to schedule like they want to at least make it look like they want to make the new playoffs.

Teams are gonna be forced to schedule tougher opponents to beer up their SOS, so id hope and assume iowa does the same. However dont expect to see any huge names. Watch for a possible home and home with Mizzu (although maybe not because mizzu backd out when we last tried to schedule them) Arkansas, kentucky, Arizona/ASU, Cal, Kstate, and if we're lucky and win 10 This yr and next, a game at Oklahoma (stoops factor). Id like to see Notre Dame, but they would never agree to play us, however Michigan might be backing out of that series. This will be the last year we play UNI also.

"Iowa's schedule for 2016 and 2017 are set in stone at this point"

with the exception of still having an open date both seasons -

Nebraska and Wisconsin have the same constraints but they continue to schedule like they want to at least make it look like they want to make the new playoffs.

Wisconsin will only have 1 BCS OOC opponent on their schedule in both 2016 and 2017. Nebraska has only 1 for 2016, and while I suppose they could add a second for 2017, I highly doubt they will. One BCS-calibar OOC opponent will be the new norm in the Big Ten's 9 conference game world.

Being locked into the clownU game is a downer on the schedule. Nine big 10 games looks great and two non-bcs games are good but they can be tough games. I would just like a little more BCS OOC variety than ISU.

Of course, Barta et al could try scheduling another tough BCS OOC game to see if that helps a really good hawk squad get better rankings

I wasn't thinking about the 9 game B1G schedule when I asked this. I was looking at how Wisci and Nebraska were scheduling for the future and looking at the Hawks and getting depressed.

You would think we could talk either Nebraska or Minnesota into taking a home-at-home with ISU once a decade in Iowa's place. That would reduce the number of Iowa vs. ISU games to six a decade. Give us a break from a stale schedule. Nebraska fans are used to making the trip and Minnesota fans might make a short trip now that their team is playing respectable football. I doubt you could talk Wisconsin into a match-up but who knows.

I realize I asked a pretty dozy of question here in retrospect and should have been able to answer it myself with little to no research. I got flustered when super Husker troll Dirk Chatelain tweeted out this morning that Iowa needed to sack up and schedule like the Huskers and Badgers. I was hoping to have a better come back then "But we got the Cyclones and that's as good as it'll ever get bro", but that's all I got.

Last edited:
I think if you go into the innersanctum of iowa's athletic department and hear them speak around the table in a dark room with candles, you'd hear them share the philosophy. Just keep the stadium full, don't take recruiting risks, stay out of trouble, win 8 games, no-need to embarass ourselves, we've got a good thing going here, get a coach who gets the most out of 2 and 3 start talent, pay him to stay.

At some point teams in the power 5 conferences will just need to decide to go with just 6 home games a year. Then they can schedule 10 conference games and 2 non-conference games against other P5 conferences. The day that teams get more tv money from playing 12 quality opponents vs. the money from a 7th home game against cupcake U. will the day it starts to happen.

You would think we could talk either Nebraska or Minnesota into taking a home-at-home with ISU once a decade in Iowa's place. That would reduce the number of Iowa vs. ISU games to six a decade. Give us a break from a stale schedule. Nebraska fans are used to making the trip and Minnesota fans might make a short trip now that their team is playing respectable football. I doubt you could talk Wisconsin into a match-up but who knows.

This is a good idea.

Latest posts