When was the last time.....

Hawkize1

Heres a question for you... When was the last time Iowa handed the ball off to the fullback? I've been paying attention to this for quite some time.
It hasn't happened in at least 3 years that I've seen.
I make it a habit of watching literally every play of every game at least once.
Anyone know? And why aren't we rewarding Brett Morse or whomever with the opportunity?
Short yardage situations would be potentially a time to try it?
Just wondering...

Heres a question for you... When was the last time Iowa handed the ball off to the fullback? I've been paying attention to this for quite some time.
It hasn't happened in at least 3 years that I've seen.
I make it a habit of watching literally every play of every game at least once.
Anyone know? And why aren't we rewarding Brett Morse or whomever with the opportunity?
Short yardage situations would be potentially a time to try it?
Just wondering...

Morse got a carry every other game or so last year. Other than that you might have to go back to Aaron Mickens in 2004? He got probably around 5-6 carries a game splitting time with Brownlee after all of the other backs went down...

Didn't Cervantes carry it once in awhile too back in 02-03?

Cervantes got quite a few touches(for a fullback), but Cervantes was one of our more athletic fullbacks we have had.

Actually I did some digging Brett Morse had 5 carries last year for 35 yrds.
these are his only career carries.
Did not expect that many.
So far 0 for this season.

As far as seeing regular carries, Jeremy Allen (98-01) comes to mind.

Last edited:
Very interesting stat. Just curious: when you sign up (or agree) to be a fullback, do you expect to be given the ball? Or do you realize your assignment almost exclusively will be to knock some 320-pound lineman out of the way or keep him away from the quarterback? Dunno the answer to that question.

We may not hand it off as much but we look for the FB in the redzone more then alot of teams. It catches most teams by surprise because the FB is just a blocker then suddenly hes in the flat wide open.

fullbacks are blockers first, runners/receivers second. anyone coming in playing fullback at (almost) every university is aware that is the definition of the position. you dont play fullback to get carries. you want carries, drop the weight and become a tailback.

Kent Kahl carried the rock a lot in 1994, he is one of my top 5 favorite hawkeyes, if I remember correctly he won the season finale against Minny all by himself. We ran some little belly play 6 or 7 times in a row and marched right down the field.

Tom Busch used to get a token carry here and there. They used to throw him the ball on a rare occassion as well and I remember him catching a TD pass or 2.

Morse had 5 carries last year for 35 yards. In 2008, Jared Oberland had 3 carries for 2 yards. In 2007, Tom Busch had a carry for 2 yards. In 2006, Champ Davis had a carry for 5 yards and Tom Busch had 2 for 4 yards. In 2005, Tom Busch had 9 carries for 31 yards, Champ Davis had a carry for 10 yards, and Paul Wilson (was he a fullback?) had 3 carries for 7 yards. In 2004, Aaron Mickens had 42! carries for 127 yards and 1 TD, Tom Busch had 12 carries for 26 yards and 1 TD, and Champ Davis had 4 carries for 8 yards.

Wow, 2004 was a very strange year.

Latest posts