When do these games get made up?

InGoodCo

Do they get made up? How will they crown a regular season champ if they don't? Iowa and IL both have a tremendous opportunity to play this weekend but both can't because of other teams Covid issues. I believe that if your healthy and a team on your schedule isn't, the B1G should be looking to pair those teams up that ARE healthy. I realize it's a logistical nightmare, but desperate times call for desperate measures and to not have the conference's flagship hoops program (MSU, I realize they are down this season, but they are still MSU) play the # 5 team in the country is a huge game for the conference to lose. Also, our protected rival, Nebraska, doesn't seem that protected right now. They also didn't give a lot of play room with the NCAA schedule, so they didn't give themselves extra time to make these games up. Would you prefer they make up these games instead of a conference tournament? Is there a conference tournament scheduled? Will they use that week to make up games?

Anyone with a take or insight on this, let's hash it out here.

:)

Make up the games and play a conference tournament. As I stated in another thread it wasn’t that long ago that teams played 3 games in 5 days a couple times a year to accommodate TV...before BTN, FS1, etc. So I say play the games.

Fortunately our postponements are MSU and NE. MSU isn’t the MSU of old and NE is bad. We can work them in somewhere.

Side Note - The teams with COVID are at the biggest disadvantage.

I know people have tossed out the idea of not playing a conference tournament. If that actually has legs or not......I couldn't tell you. I do not have 100% trust in the offices in Chicago, so expect anything.

As of now, you could easily get MSU and NE in. It is a day-to-day thing so that could change.

I honestly don’t think it will be a problem at all for us and other teams. The challenge will be for the COVID schools.

Looking at our schedule...We could easily play a game between the following games...especially easy since both so far are at home.

1/29
2/4 (6 days)

2/13
2/18 (5 days)

2/21
2/28 (7 days)

I assume every team has a similar structure. And I’m pretty sure I’ve read the full week break was intentional to allow for make up games.

It just seems like, well, there has been 2 weeks in a row where Iowa only had 1 game each week. Are we just gonna piss away this time? Not being a little out in front of this and not trying to pair Iowa and IL up with dance partners THIS week seems like lost time and doesn't really give me a ringing endorsement that the conference has any sort of fore site or plan to reschedule these games.

Fran made the most sense when he commented the NCAA Tourny should have been a wait and see date and the important thing is to get the games ALL played, THEN play the tourney. Who cares if it's in late April for instance?

I'm sure there are tons of logistics they deal with which require getting dates set but you'd think they could have a plan B which moves things back a bit.

Chad Leistikow has a good article on HawkCentral.com. There is some chatter of certain games being switched to open dates. Another possibility is that if we're scheduled to play a certain team just once (Illinois, for example), maybe we move them to an open date next week or the week after, and we still play them later in the year. The trade-off is that we would then play Michigan State only once instead of twice.

Part of the issue in not simply scheduling a certain team on an open date is that television networks have to have an opening for the date and time as well. So they are working on solutions but they aren't always as easy as it might seem.

Iowa gets told when and where to play, no options, why not some of the prima donnas in the league. It makes great sense to play a team that's also affected by the layoff, it's a win, win. That's why it won't happen, just like pairing us with a weak Michigan football team dealing with covid instead of the team we earned to play. Why, too enhance another team's chances for a major bowl. The conference rarely does Iowa any favors.

they should do whatever is in the best interest of conference, and that is to play as many games as possibe. I just don’t feel like it’s being done. Iowa and IL both sit out this weekend, it seems like a waste. Move that game up and try and reschedule MSU and Nebraska in that other window.

they should do whatever is in the best interest of conference, and that is to play as many games as possibe. I just don’t feel like it’s being done. Iowa and IL both sit out this weekend, it seems like a waste. Move that game up and try and reschedule MSU and Nebraska in that other window.
Or better yet, Illinois loses an away game to MSU this weekend and we lose a home game with nebraska. We only play Illinois once, and its on the road. It works out pretty damn good to have Illinois come to Carver this weekend, then we go there like scheduled the following Friday. The only problem with this is we play the same team back to back. Who the hell cares about that? Down the road, we reschedule either Nebraska or MSU. Whichever works out. The other game never gets played.

Or better yet, Illinois loses an away game to MSU this weekend and we lose a home game with nebraska. We only play Illinois once, and its on the road. It works out pretty damn good to have Illinois come to Carver this weekend, then we go there like scheduled the following Friday. The only problem with this is we play the same team back to back. Who the hell cares about that? Down the road, we reschedule either Nebraska or MSU. Whichever works out. The other game never gets played.
Agree, Iowa and IL should be playing this weekend but I imagine the coaches would cry about prep time. So what? You need games, against anyone this season. Fix your error of not having play twice from the get go and have IL come to IC.

just watched Fran’s interview on BTN, he said they talked about all of this leading up to the season and in the off season. He sounds sure the conference is on it. Mentioned they knew they might play only 1 game one week and then like 4 in 7 and 3 in 6 type weeks. So, get ready for a lot of basketball (hopefully).

If all the regular season games don't get played, its not the end of the world. The team with the highest winning percentage is crowned regular season champ. Its highly unlikely that there is a huge disparity in games played as things sit right now. It won't be like comparing OSU with other playoff contenders.

The conference tourney needs to be played. That should be a priority. Its a great showcase for the conference and good for the game.

If the NCAA could kick back the tourney a week or two, it would be fun to take the current conference tourney date for a 2 day bubble situation at one site to play all make up games. Then start the conference tourney the next weekend.

There is no reason these young men cannot play two games in a row or with a one day gap. They do it for the conference tourney, up to 4 days. Young legs.

just watched Fran’s interview on BTN, he said they talked about all of this leading up to the season and in the off season. He sounds sure the conference is on it. Mentioned they knew they might play only 1 game one week and then like 4 in 7 and 3 in 6 type weeks. So, get ready for a lot of basketball (hopefully).

As I mentioned in another thread, Penn State is playing 4 games this week (Sunday through Saturday). PSU had 4 games postponed originally and will have made up 2 of those games by this Saturday. I think teams are trying to reschedule (in other news, ISU just rescheduled their game at Kansas). It's just a matter of dates and team availability.

If all the regular season games don't get played, its not the end of the world. The team with the highest winning percentage is crowned regular season champ. Its highly unlikely that there is a huge disparity in games played as things sit right now. It won't be like comparing OSU with other playoff contenders.

The conference tourney needs to be played. That should be a priority. Its a great showcase for the conference and good for the game.
I couldn't disagree more. If we don't make up the cancelled games, we would have missed (so far) two home games with a couple of the lesser lights in the conference. Playing and winning those would definitely enhance our overall record, our conference record and our winning percentage. I could care less about the BTT. I want a regular season conference championship, something we've not done since 1979. Just like in football, we get penalized for being the healthy team. If Nebraska and MSU can't fulfill their end of the schedule, they should be made to forfeit the games.

As I mentioned in another thread, Penn State is playing 4 games this week (Sunday through Saturday). PSU had 4 games postponed originally and will have made up 2 of those games by this Saturday. I think teams are trying to reschedule (in other news, ISU just rescheduled their game at Kansas). It's just a matter of dates and team availability.
I get that, it just feels like Iowa is burning up a lot of their free time

Latest posts