What's the Reason For No Formal Campbell Announcement?

pirate

The worst kept secret is finally out of the bag with acknowledgement Erik Campbell is leaving the Iowa program. But the media learned about it only from a recruit or two who acknowledged it.

Why has there been no official announcement about his departure? Supposedly he's been gone with his office cleaned out for at least three weeks.

Is this one of these Bill Dervich situations from a few years back that it's best for the program NOT to acknowledge a departure so it doesn't bring negative attention to the reasons behind the "parting of ways?"

Many rumors abound to this day about the details of Dervich leaving the Iowa program after 29 or 30 years in it but never was their any formal ackowledgement of it coming from the football offices.

Does it really matter. Will a formal announcement make you feel better?

I think many people dislike Ferentz's secretive style with these types of things. It just rubs people the wrong way.

I think as the rumor was that he was asked to seek other employment and clearly Coach Campbell hasn't been hired by another school which I think is the issue. They weren't going to announce it until then but it came out from the recruit before he could find a new job.

Ferentz likes to give his people the chance to get a new job vs. getting fired publicly.

There is a lot that goes on in every program. The media folks seem to think they are still necessary for news. All of this has changed.

I think many people dislike Ferentz's secretive style with these types of things. It just rubs people the wrong way.

I think as the rumor was that he was asked to seek other employmuent and clearly Coach Campbell hasn't been hired by another school which I think is the issue. They weren't going to announce it until then but it came out from the recruit before he could find a new job.

Ferentz likes to give his people the chance to get a new job vs. getting fired publicly.

This makes sense.

I think the bigger question is why hasn't Coach Campbell found another job yet? I been told he's been looking for months.

Does it really matter. Will a formal announcement make you feel better?
Not a big deal to me, but with the secrecy it makes it look like there is something more to it. I mean usually there is some announcement saying "thanks for all he has done, blah, blah, blah." That's all. No big deal though. Just looks like the decision is not mutual.

Last edited:
I think the bigger question is why hasn't Coach Campbell found another job yet? I been told he's been looking for months.

I agree with this. I know that he hasn't done as great as we had hoped when we got him from Michigan but I would figure he could have found another job or even an oc job at a smaller school.

Iowa has consistently been behind the ball when it comes to handling PR matters. Is this news? Yes it is. In Iowa... yes it is news. As a communication and marketing person... Iowa does a horrible job staying in tune with the 24/7 news cycle we live in. The PR department is simply reactive... not proactive. And that is not where you want to be.

Iowa has consistently been behind the ball when it comes to handling PR matters. Is this news? Yes it is. In Iowa... yes it is news. As a communication and marketing person... Iowa does a horrible job staying in tune with the 24/7 news cycle we live in. The PR department is simply reactive... not proactive. And that is not where you want to be.
I may not sleep until I hear why an assistant coach left.

This is how Kirk runs off a coach. He does not send out a press release. They are informed that their services are no longer required and it would be best for all involved if they would simply look elsewhere for employment next season.

That is it, end of story, Kirk does not fire anybody he just 'gives them the opportunity to move along' with his recommendation. What is surprising is that Soup has not yet found a job. Good luck to him, we will know how this all ends when another program announces that EC has joined their staff.

With Fort Kinnick you have to read between the lines and sometimes silence speaks louder than words.

This is funny. A guy that was brought in as a coach that was going to the be person who minded the gap between the new, fresh generation and our old coaching staff, and who was going to recruit all over Michigan/Ohio etc, and would probably be the head coach someday is now gone and not even a peep out of Fort Kinnick as to why. People were drooling over Soup when he got hired. Is he a terrible coach? Does he not get along with Ferentz? Why is someone as incompetent as Greg Davis coming back but Campbell is gone?

This is funny. A guy that was brought in as a coach that was going to the be person who minded the gap between the new, fresh generation and our old coaching staff, and who was going to recruit all over Michigan/Ohio etc, and would probably be the head coach someday is now gone and not even a peep out of Fort Kinnick as to why. People were drooling over Soup when he got hired. Is he a terrible coach? Does he not get along with Ferentz? Why is someone as incompetent as Greg Davis coming back but Campbell is gone?

Latest posts