What's our non-conference record this year?

docholihawk

I'm just wondering what everybody thinks our record will be after our first four games. We play in order Illinois State, Iowa State, Pittsburgh and North Texas. The past decade has shown us that how we perform in the first few games can be the difference between bowling and not bowling. I think we should be 4-0 in theses games but history tells me 3-1. I shudder to think of 2-2. If we go 2-2 the people screaming to fire Kirk and/or Barta will be extremely loud and I think we would end up with an overall losing season. I'm sticking with 3-1. Others opinions?

Iowa if not careful could easily start the season 0-3. Especially with how we've been known to start.

My prediction is Iowa should be 3-1 and no worse than 2-2. I just don't see 4-0. KF and GD will find a way to toss a dud in there.

Last edited:
If it's a 3-1 start and the loss is to Iowa State, I've had it. Honestly, that non-conference schedule is so lame a 4-0 start should be a foregone conclusion, but this where we are 16 years in the Ferentz era.

Absolutely have to beat the clowns this year. Paul Rhoads is not the guy to change the fortunes in Ames. If they go 2-10 again they might cement themselves as the absolute worst football team in college football history. What would happen if ISU made a mistake and actually hired someone who could coach football. I get the fact that it's their super bowl and they start pumping the players up when spring training starts. I also know if an Iowa player shows the least little bit of excitement Kirk might bench him. I think the loss we'll suffer is the Pitt game. God help us if we lose any of the others.

I predict 4-0, and a bunch of posters really unhappy with it b/c

1) we weren't dominant enough
2) they will begin to realize they are stuck with Ferentz
3) because they won't be able to reconcile their inability to see the future

Will be interesting to see this year unfold where success or failure will both bring glee and discontent

Probably 3-1. Illinois State was very tough last year, they beat UNI by 20 and eventually lost to ND State in the FCS Championship game by 2 points. However, they lost 11 starters to graduation so might struggle in 2015. Pitt will be better this year with 17 starters back even though that game is at Kinnick it could be a pick 'em game. If we are not motivated to kick the sh*t out of the clowns after that 4th quarter debacle last year it could be a long season but I think we win that one on the road. North Texas lost 4 of 5 O lineman so they will probably struggle early.

2-2. You can just mark the Iowa State game down as a loss. Despite the fact that they don't have much of a defense, our offense always makes them look like the 85 Bears. 2nd year of the Mangino system, they will score some points on our new defensive line and suspect linebackers.
The second loss will either be to Illinois State or Pitt. I'm going to go with Pitt.

I'll go 3-1, but I could easily see 2-2. Pitt will probably be a tight game, and any game against ISU has hardly been a gimme for KF, even during the good years.

I think 2-2 at best. 1-3 is possible. Illinois State scares me. Iowa is due to be beat by an FCS team and Illinois State is among the best and Iowa is woeful right now. North Texas is a toss-up, they are improving under Mac and you KNOW he will go "all in" for this game. Ferentz is 7-9 vs ISU and at Ames with a healthy ISU team doesn't instill a lot of confidence. Pitt is breaking in a new coach so guess I see that as a win although Kirk's record vs new coaches is not real pretty.

I'll go 3-1, but I could easily see 2-2. Pitt will probably be a tight game, and any game against ISU has hardly been a gimme for KF, even during the good years.
Considering Kirk has a losing record vs Iowa State, beating them is NEVER a certainty, even his best team in 2002 lost to them.

Depends on what Iowa gets out of CJB and the offense.. My guess 3-1, the ISU game has loss written all over it. A desperate Rhoads in front of 60,000 and if they only need to score 20 to win; it is just a recipe for disaster for Iowa.

Most programs with Iowa resources would blow through this OOC slate without breaking a sweat. Iowa on the other hand, I doubt it.

Ill St & Pitt have more talent than Iowa does so I'm expecting loses there. Some may argue that the games are in Kinnick but being real, Kinnick is no longer a home field advantage for Iowa.

ISU and North Texas probably have less talent than Iowa but both teams have coaches who have proven to have very little difficulty out-coaching Ferentz.

I'm hoping for 2-2 in the OOC.

Latest posts