What would Fran's past teams been like with a Trey Burke type PG?

uihawk82

I would like to hear your thoughts. The pundits and I are saying the hawks need and have needed a great pg. Let me know what great pg over the last 8 years you would like to put on some of Fran's past teams and tell us how you think that team finishes the regular season and post season. Gesell could penetrate but not finish at the rim at a high enough percentage to really distort the opponent defense.

I know Fran had the two teams where they were in the top 10 or top 5 but then crashed and burned in February and March.

The team where Marble was the pg and dribbled around too much I think could have been a sweet 16 or final 8 type team.

I think these teams make deep pushes for regular season Big titles and Big Tourney titles rather than the first round exits. The teams with Marble, White, Woody, etc being lead by a top flight pg instead of guys maybe playing out of position would have flourished. I think Fran's teams go into these scoring funks and droughts because they do not have someone who at will can set up a dunk or easy drive.

If we had a Burke type (national player of the year quality) point guard, we would have already won 3 Big 10 championships. But you could add one more national player of the year quality player at any position and that would be true. Put Valentine or Kaminsky on any of Fran's teams and they would be way better too. If senior year Kaminsky could be our center for every year Woody was our center, we probably win the Big 10 all 4 years. Without a "true" point guard.

If we had a Burke type (national player of the year quality) point guard, we would have already won 3 Big 10 championships. But you could add one more national player of the year quality player at any position and that would be true. Put Valentine or Kaminsky on any of Fran's teams and they would be way better too. If senior year Kaminsky could be our center for every year Woody was our center, we probably win the Big 10 all 4 years. Without a "true" point guard.

I like this. We've had enough talent, just not at the same time. A team with a Gatens, Jbo, Gesell, Marble, Uthoff, Jok, White, Cook...with a Baer, Clemmons(an underrated player imo), Woody and/or Garza...

Nobody was elite...but that'd be a hell of a group...just from the last 7-8 years...

Remember, whoever we would add to this team.....Fran has to coach them defense. Burke maybe gets this team to the NCAAs. Maybe.

Remember, whoever we would add to this team.....Fran has to coach them defense. Burke maybe gets this team to the NCAAs. Maybe.

I am not talking just this team but any or most of Fran's teams. He has usually had one or two good wing shooters and some really good big men and 4 position players in White, Uthoff, and others.

So what's keeping one (all) of these elite type point guards with the supporting cast and the very strong likelihood of four years starting in the B1G from making that leap to Iowa?

Actually, I don't have much confidence in Fran's coaching ability, no matter what the roster. Not much of an in game coach, poor rotations, timeout confusion, etc.

I don't have much confidence in Fran's ability to teach fundamentals like boxing out, helping on defense, getting down on defense, proper pick and roll... The same lower level technical BB is regurgitated on the court over and over.

I don't have much confidence in Fran's leadership ability (this is different than yelling with a red head and ears) and this plays out in his inability to motivate players to give maximum effort.

Who holds whom accountable on this team? The coaches don't seem to and the players don't seem to hold each other accountable either.

An elite PG or a PG or two are needed...I really just don't see Fran being much of a coach no matter the roster... He hasn't proven it in 8 years...

Latest posts