What will the talking heads say about this win?

busabus114

Not that i care but Colin Cowherd bashed the hawks all week and talked up USC and the SEC to no end. USC, Florida and Bama all looked average to bad and barely won. Florida and Bama played teams that are arguable awful. Oregon State has some firepower but the mighty trojans had them at home and had to hang on for dear life to win.

How do the talking heads spin it? Iowa is lucky while the mighty SEC and USC took care of business, etc.

Like i said i dont care but i think it will be interesting to see how this Iowa win will be preceived.

go Hawks!

Not that i care but Colin Cowherd bashed the hawks all week and talked up USC and the SEC to no end. USC, Florida and Bama all looked average to bad and barely won. Florida and Bama played teams that are arguable awful. Oregon State has some firepower but the mighty trojans had them at home and had to hang on for dear life to win.

How do the talking heads spin it? Iowa is lucky while the mighty SEC and USC took care of business, etc.

Like i said i dont care but i think it will be interesting to see how this Iowa win will be preceived.

go Hawks!

What can he say. The Vol/Bama game was what 9-3 late in the 4th. So what is the difference with MSU/Iowa being 9-6 late in the 4th. However I know what your saying they will spin the weak Big Ten and power SEC angle.. Blah, Blah and BLAH...

Who cares what they say?

The fact that the "talking heads" are talking about the Iowa Hawkeyes right now means we're RELEVANT!

Who the hell cares? Iowa wins out and they cannot be left out with the schedule they've had to play this year!

On College Football Final, Lou Holtz was saying that the Hawks just find ways to win, and they could be a contender for the national championship if they keep winning.

On College Football Final, Lou Holtz was saying that the Hawks just find ways to win, and they could be a contender for the national championship if they keep winning.
Uh Oh. Lou is saying good things about Iowa. That can't be good.

Human polls will drop Iowa at least one spot since TCU, BSU and Cincy all won big! Pollsters will see how Iowa won and stats against a .500 team and roll their eyes. Bank on it!

The top SEC teams are winning just as ugly as Iowa is. Collin will talk up USC. If you noticed he left MSU out of the Iowa discussion last week, citing only the "watered down B10 schedule."

Fact.. Iowa Beat PSU on the road by 11- PSU's only loss
Fact. Iowa beat bowl bound 5-2 Pac 10 Arizona, and only game them 1 offenseive TD forcing them to burn the rest of the clock out to secure the win. That game was not as close as the score.
Fact, Iowa blew out B12 and bowl bound ISU on the road.
Fact- Iowa beat Mich which beat ND which took USC to the wire. I hate the multiple comparisons because they are pretty menaingless but it is our only USC tie right now.
Fact- Iowa won on the road at 5-2 Bowl bound Wisconsin
Fact- Iowa gutted out another win on the road vs a hot bowl bound Mich State (back to back weeks).
Fact- Iowa is 8-0 with a tough schedule.
Fact- Florida needed help to keep thier winning streak alive and Bama needed a blocked field goal vs a lesser team (sound familure?).
Fact Iowa has won 12 in a row including wins over bowl teams from the SEC, Pac 10, B10 (obviously) and B12.
Fact- Iowa has a solid record vs the SEC
and lastly
Fact- the B10 has a winning record vs the SEC this decade

USC and Oregon do look good right now, no question but Iowa has earned their ranking and until someone (like a Washington) knocks them off, USC and everyone else will just have to live with Iowa.

The top SEC teams are winning just as ugly as Iowa is. Collin will talk up USC. If you noticed he left MSU out of the Iowa discussion last week, citing only the "watered down B10 schedule."

Fact.. Iowa Beat PSU on the road by 11- PSU's only loss
Fact. Iowa beat bowl bound 5-2 Pac 10 Arizona, and only game them 1 offenseive TD forcing them to burn the rest of the clock out to secure the win. That game was not as close as the score.
Fact, Iowa blew out B12 and bowl bound ISU on the road.
Fact- Iowa beat Mich which beat ND which took USC to the wire. I hate the multiple comparisons because they are pretty menaingless but it is our only USC tie right now.
Fact- Iowa won on the road at 5-2 Bowl bound Wisconsin
Fact- Iowa gutted out another win on the road vs a hot bowl bound Mich State (back to back weeks).
Fact- Iowa is 8-0 with a tough schedule.
Fact- Florida needed help to keep thier winning streak alive and Bama needed a blocked field goal vs a lesser team (sound familure?).
Fact Iowa has won 12 in a row including wins over bowl teams from the SEC, Pac 10, B10 (obviously) and B12.
Fact- Iowa has a solid record vs the SEC
and lastly
Fact- the B10 has a winning record vs the SEC this decade

USC and Oregon do look good right now, no question but Iowa has earned their ranking and until someone (like a Washington) knocks them off, USC and everyone else will just have to live with Iowa.
All great facts. We need the talking heads to read those. You know you will hear a lot of 'they got lucky' comments, but it will all take care of itself in the end.

I was wondering if they'd give us more respect or less if the game ended 9-6, without the #'s that accumulated on the winning drive.

the " sports reporters " on ESPN pretty much all agreed that if Iowa runs the table they will be what Auburn was a few years back, on the outside looking in at the NC game.

We shall see, lots of football to be played.

Subtext for this game: Iowa has lived on take-aways all season. How many did they need to beat MSU?

Good point. We won this game despite the MSU offense making no game changing mistakes and despite numerous injuries on our side. No taking anything away from this W.

I just know that a lot of "experts" said that if Iowa could get by Wisconsin on the road, they'd have to be taken seriously. Oddly, this week they were saying that if Iowa could get by MSU this week, they'd have to be taken seriously. I suspect they'll now say if Iowa can win the next two and get by OSU on the road....well, you know the drill.

Something along the lines of, Iowa is just getting so darn lucky with all the breaks they are getting, but Alabama is an amazing team because they blocked 2 field goals and the other teams kicker missed one.

Something along the lines of, Iowa is just getting so darn lucky with all the breaks they are getting, but Alabama is an amazing team because they blocked 2 field goals and the other teams kicker missed one.

Distant cousin of "Purdue beats Ohio State, so the Big 10 is terrible, but MSU* hanging with Florida just shows how deep the SEC is."

Also related to "Ohio State can't win the big games, but never mind Oklahoma getting smoked in similar situations recently."

*Mississippi State

Last edited:
Stewart Mandel says these things: "At the very least, Iowa figures to be playing that day for its first Rose Bowl berth since 1990. But it's time for BCS followers to start seriously considering the possibility of the Hawkeyes playing a week later in Pasadena. The continued ugly, low-scoring nature of the Hawkeyes' victories is probably not doing Iowa a lot of favors with the pollsters, but Saturday's win was no "uglier" than the Tide's over Tennessee. And unlike Florida against Arkansas, Iowa's last-second survival came on the road, not at home."

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20...ichigan.st/index.html?eref=sihp#ixzz0UxZFIOLG
Get a free NFL Team Jacket and Tee with SI Subscription
And College Football News These Things:
If Florida can continue to get unquestioned top two consideration despite struggling so much against a mediocre Arkansas and a lousy Mississippi State, and if Alabama can be deep in the national title hunt after struggling to get by an average Tennessee, then Iowa should get more credit for coming up with the tremendous last-second win over Michigan State … on the road. Pete Fiutak
Does Iowa belong in the national title game? I don’t know right now. I do know that if I was a head coach, I would not want to play the Hawkeyes under any circumstances. They run the ball physically with Adam Robinson and Brandon Wegher. On defense, they hold the line as well as any team in the country and will not bend near the goal line. And when the game is hanging in the balance, they transform into a completely different animal. Ugly? Only for the eight teams that have tried in vain to take down Iowa this fall. Richard Cirminiello

Latest posts